Does Retrocausality de-mystify Entanglement?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

philosopher

Does Retrocausality de-mystify Entanglement?

Post by philosopher »

Consider two entangled photons. The measurement of one instantaneously affects the other, not by "faster-than-light speed" but rather through a causality known as Retrocausality where the future measurement affects the past, in this case the source from which both photons are emitted.

It doesn't need to travel "backwards in time" either. All it has to do is for the source to have a hidden variable, not a local one but a universal hidden variable spanning all across the Block Universe, as Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity predicts, where the past, future and present are all equally real.

This will make Quantum Mechanics consistent with the Relativity Theory and allow for determinism instead of "quantum randomness" and "spooky action at a distance".

Retrocausality explained in one sentence can be summed up as following:
"I do this, because you did that. You did that, because I do this."

It seems to me as the most beautiful, elegant and simplest solution/theory to the quantum measurement problem.

One thing science has taught me is to keep it as simple, beautiful and elegant as possible, and do away with all "spookyness". Though, one might call Retrocasuality "spooky" in itself... But that's more a subjective point of view, isn't it?
jupiter4910

Re: Does Retrocausality de-mystify Entanglement?

Post by jupiter4910 »

Retro-causality - thank you for starting this topic #philosopher#.

The case of two photons emitted at the same time, I imagine this phenomenon and I imagine also that photon one and photon two are both in relation with each other. We should not forget about intrinsic relation of photon one and photon two with the source. Photons belong to particle group of bosons, similarly as helium atoms (but do not have mass). We do not know whether the emission of both photons at the same time occurred from a source which is a boson or fermion. We can thus have a relation of two bosons with either a boson or a fermion. For the source, the two photons travel at the speed of light in a certain direction. For the two photons, the source translates with the speed of light. The pair of two photons, provided that the angle between the velocity vectors of the photons is zero, is at rest between each other, thus they are related with each other with a gravitational force (as they are dualistically massive objects to each other but not to the rest of the Universe), to my mind. Thus by affecting one we must change the energy of the other one, because in the whole Universe only these two photons are gravitationally related, when being produced instantaneously and, as we know, the gravity is an infinite force, which nota bene drops fast with the square of distance between objects in relation (excuse me for being obvious here, I try to be as simplest as possible). It is a peculiar case, because the pair of photons have its own dimension of interacting with each other (we should not forget about the source though).
The source. Usually the source is a massive object (subconsciously I think also about Big Bang and creation of everything from nothing) which should have initial energy to emit photons, the force carriers. The source is a large object consisting of fermions and bosons and have a large mass. We do not know from which part of the object the pack of photons was emitted and from which fragment of the matter consisting the object. We can assume, that this fragment, if we zoom enough, will be a particle of matter embedded into the great number of particles. As we could relate to emissive molecules. As the molecule has its quantum state, which is emissive, we do not know from which atom building the molecule the photon comes the photon emitted is the reflection of change of energy of the whole molecule which looses energy by emission. As the energy of the molecule is described with a wavefunctions with two variants because they describe fermions (electrons). Here, the electronic energy of the molecule is only a fraction of the whole energy, including also the energy of the nuclei, which altogether are described with a one operator know as Hamiltonian. Anyway, it seems that I forgot that the energy of photons span in vast range. What if the source emitted not visible light, but gamma rays instead. Therefore even a boson such as single helium atom could emit two photons at the same time and thus we would have three bosons in relation with each other. That would be really interesting but almost impossible to follow, maybe if we irradiated a boson condensate of helium, because as we know it is so difficult to spot a single atom.
In the relation of three bosons we could think about speeding up computations infinitesimally. Such quantum computers could be a prelude to God's possibility of knowing everything if we only have formalize all the laws in the Universe...