Extinction is happening all the time

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Extinction is happening all the time

Post by Dontaskme »

3.5 billion years is also equivalent to a nanosecond within the grand scheme of time.

https://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/st ... ction.html
Scott Mayers

Re: Extinction is happening all the time

Post by Scott Mayers »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:14 pm 3.5 billion years is also equivalent to a nanosecond within the grand scheme of time.

https://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/st ... ction.html
I haven't checked the link yet but see that it ends on "gammaray_extinction" which likely is not what you are particularly referring to.

3.5 billion years is usually the given age of the Earth (although I'm not sure what they are defining is the point at which a planet is 'born' given it doesn't just pop into existence.

However, if the Universe is 14 billion (rounded up), we have only the age of merely 4 Earths to the beginning of 'time' of this Universe. this is suspect to me. Note that the age is not the age limited to the observed Universe unless we assume a singularity with certainty as a 'zero'. Also, if the science is not being sold to us deceptively, the proper expression to this should be that the Universe appears as 14 billion years old conditioned to the singularity as being assumed Without that caveat, the age being given inappropriately rules out the more likelihood of it being a aparition by perspective only!

Certainly, your comment of 3.5 billion years is not a nanosecond compared to the age given of this Universe.

What were you linking the label of the title to this assertion though? ...and your reasoning for referencing a page about gammarays?
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Okay, I've looked at the article and see that it is arguing for the possibility of a particular extinction period on Earth and that the 3.5 is just the age given for the approximate existence of the event, not the Earth.

I've heard of this before theory before and it stands to reason. Another related assumption I heard associated with this is a theory that the earth's magnetic field had been in the middle of a 'flip' from North to South. The magnetic field when relatively set, protects us normally from radiation from the sun or Cosmic rays. So this is the 'comsic' ray part of the argument.

But my prior post stands about what you were meaning to point out.?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Scott Mayers wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:46 pm
Sorry Scott, don't mind me, but my mind goes way to deep even for myself to be able to grasp what it's actually trying to inform me. And sometimes it's difficult for me to put into words what comes up from within those dark mental caverns. :?

...but I'll try my best....here goes... :arrow:

For me, I see that I am an awareness of all time events. For example: I can think about a time when the dinosaurs lived on earth for 165 million years. I can think about that time right here and now in the immediate present time with my awareness, and when I think about that time, I see that the awareness I am hasn't moved or changed, it's always perfectly STILL / UNCHANGING / & MOTIONLESS ...which tells me that time is only an illusion, and that 3.5 billions years ago is the same time as the nanosecond it took to think about 3.5 billion years ago, and that both timelines (past) and (present) are always right here and NOW as this aware knowingness.

Now I do not know what this ''aware knowingness'' is exactly, apart from a mechanical neuron function of the brain, but I am aware it can appear and disappear instantaneously within that mechanical instrument known as the brain.
So imagine if a humongous gamma-ray was to strike the earth right now, although rare and unlikely, that would mean everything that has taken billions of years to evolve on earth would probably be wiped out forever. So it would be like EVOLUTION NEVER HAPPENED...for there would be no knowledgable observer left to observe and report an evolution of sentient lifeforms from ever having happened at all. And so any report of TIME events of past and present ever happening, is always, and can only be known in the immediate NOW

That's what I meant by extinctions are happening all the time, because as soon as there is no awareness of anything, and nothing to report, then nothing ever happened did it. So all these what we call ''known happenings'', can only happen now. In other words, extinctions are only ever in TIME, which is an illusion, because there is only the ever-present now.

Also, if the dinosaurs hadn't have GONE extinct, these ''knowing human awarenesses'' wouldn't be here at all. And nothing really wouldn't have happened for absolute certain then. So it's like humans only exist because dinosaurs do not. And then going even deeper, we can even report that humans only exist because primate apes or monkey's existed, so it's like we owe all our capacity to know knowledge to the dinosaurs demise, those creatures that are thought to have roamed the earth for millions of years, and yet we only showed up a few seconds ago in comparison.

It just boggles my mind to think that even we the purveyors of knowledge can be GONE in an instant, just like those dinosaurs.
What's even more bizzare is to imagine HUMANS living on earth for 165 million years just as the dinosaurs did.
Can you imagine that scenario?

That's all I'm trying to talk about. :D

PS, I used to think about things like there is a God ...but I've now moved away from all that mushy thinking.
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:12 am
Scott Mayers wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:46 pm
Sorry Scott, don't mind me, but my mind goes way to deep even for myself to be able to grasp what it's actually trying to inform me. And sometimes it's difficult for me to put into words what comes up from within those dark mental caverns. :?

...but I'll try my best....here goes... :arrow:

For me, I see that I am an awareness of all time events. For example: I can think about a time when the dinosaurs lived on earth for 165 million years. I can think about that time right here and now in the immediate present time with my awareness, and when I think about that time, I see that the awareness I am hasn't moved or changed, it's always perfectly STILL / UNCHANGING / & MOTIONLESS ...which tells me that time is only an illusion, and that 3.5 billions years ago is the same time as the nanosecond it took to think about 3.5 billion years ago, and that both timelines (past) and (present) are always right here and NOW as this aware knowingness.

Now I do not know what this ''aware knowingness'' is exactly, apart from a mechanical neuron function of the brain, but I am aware it can appear and disappear instantaneously within that mechanical instrument known as the brain.
So imagine if a humongous gamma-ray was to strike the earth right now, although rare and unlikely, that would mean everything that has taken billions of years to evolve on earth would probably be wiped out forever. So it would be like EVOLUTION NEVER HAPPENED...for there would be no knowledgable observer left to observe and report an evolution of sentient lifeforms from ever having happened at all. And so any report of TIME events of past and present ever happening, is always, and can only be known in the immediate NOW

That's what I meant by extinctions are happening all the time, because as soon as there is no awareness of anything, and nothing to report, then nothing ever happened did it. So all these what we call ''known happenings'', can only happen now. In other words, extinctions are only ever in TIME, which is an illusion, because there is only the ever-present now.

Also, if the dinosaurs hadn't have GONE extinct, these ''knowing human awarenesses'' wouldn't be here at all. And nothing really wouldn't have happened for absolute certain then. So it's like humans only exist because dinosaurs do not. And then going even deeper, we can even report that humans only exist because primate apes or monkey's existed, so it's like we owe all our capacity to know knowledge to the dinosaurs demise, those creatures that are thought to have roamed the earth for millions of years, and yet we only showed up a few seconds ago in comparison.

It just boggles my mind to think that even we the purveyors of knowledge can be GONE in an instant, just like those dinosaurs.
What's even more bizzare is to imagine HUMANS living on earth for 165 million years just as the dinosaurs did.
Can you imagine that scenario?

That's all I'm trying to talk about. :D

PS, I used to think about things like there is a God ...but I've now moved away from all that mushy thinking.
NIce clarity. I understand what you mean now and agree, thank you.

I think of Totality as without time on the whole and so it holds all of its facts as a kind of memory regardless. I extent this to mean also that all possibilities exist as well. But given everything absolutely possible, then this requires knowing that impossible things exst as a LIMIT. This illusion of the 'now' would be necessary to this limit. That is, while everything in Totality exists, this can only be manifest from within if each possible PERSPECTIVE is limited to its own proximity.

This is analogously like if you had to contruct all possible arrangements of pixels on picture at a time. Each arrangement is its own world. And while the other possibilities exist, each is unable to see the other possible arrangements from the perspecive of each pixel to each frame. So the 'now' you refer to is a relative 'illusion' (though 'real' on the perspective of the whole.)
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Scott Mayers wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:13 pm

I think of Totality as without time on the whole and so it holds all of its facts as a kind of memory regardless. I extent this to mean also that all possibilities exist as well. But given everything absolutely possible, then this requires knowing that impossible things exst as a LIMIT. This illusion of the 'now' would be necessary to this limit. That is, while everything in Totality exists, this can only be manifest from within if each possible PERSPECTIVE is limited to its own proximity.

This is analogously like if you had to contruct all possible arrangements of pixels on picture at a time. Each arrangement is its own world. And while the other possibilities exist, each is unable to see the other possible arrangements from the perspecive of each pixel to each frame. So the 'now' you refer to is a relative 'illusion' (though 'real' on the perspective of the whole.)
I like how you put it, so thanks for your clarity.

It's almost like saying the part pretends to be the whole, when in fact the parts only reality is a limited object /part embedded within the whole. The limited can't know the unlimited whole, it can't experience it, or know it directly, it can only know itself as a limited part, and because it knows it is only a part, that does not mean there is not a much greater whole out-there bigger than the part. There has to be an even greater part of the part, in the sense a car needs parts to be the car. The car doesn't exist without the parts.
👍
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:21 pm

It's almost like saying the part pretends to be the whole, when in fact the parts only reality is a limited object /part embedded within the whole. The limited can't know the unlimited whole, it can't experience it, or know it directly, it can only know itself as a limited part, and because it knows it is only a part, that does not mean there is not a much greater whole out-there bigger than the part. There has to be an even greater part of the part, in the sense a car needs parts to be the car. The car doesn't exist without the parts.
👍
Notice how it sucks that when we agree to things, the thread is 'closed' and then gets buried and lost? We might have to find something to disagree with just to keep these points on top! It is the 'extinction' occuring once again! :lol:
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Scott Mayers wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:32 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:21 pm

👍
Notice how it sucks that when we agree to things, the thread is 'closed' and then gets buried and lost? We might have to find something to disagree with just to keep these points on top! It is the 'extinction' occuring once again! :lol:
LOl... :lol:

We're on the same page Scott. Very true what you've said, I like that! ..well said.

Notice how rare it is to find other like-minded deep thinkers? ..and how tickly fun it is when you do? hehehehe! :mrgreen: