when physicists start talking about philosophy...

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

choice required

defer to their obvious intellectual authority in all topics
No votes
ignore them
50%
shoot yourself
No votes
shit yourself
No votes
shoot them
25%
rage quit by punching the big red button square in the piehole
25%

Total votes: 4

Advocate

when physicists start talking about philosophy...

Post by Advocate »

which comes first to mind?
PeteJ

Re: when physicists start talking about philosophy...

Post by PeteJ »

I would listen to them unless they start talking nonsense (as usual).

But you do not give me this option.

Some physicists are better philosophers than most philosophers, so the title of the poll could be 'When physicists and philosophers start talking...'
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=PeteJ post_id=474876 time=1602235318 user_id=11479]
I would listen to them unless they start talking nonsense (as usual).

But you do not give me this option.

Some physicists are better philosophers than most philosophers, so the title of the poll could be 'When physicists and philosophers start talking...'
[/quote]

Some philosophers are better physicists than some physicists too, sadly. Who's a physicist you have in mind? From what i've seen, short of Feynman, who doesn't claim to be doing philosophy, most of them quickly go beyond their bounds and step in quantum woo. Stephen Hawking, for example, is a shit philosopher.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

-Imp
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Dogma means “a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true.”

This can hinder the educated scientist but not the innovative scientist.. Scientists, who question scientific dogma, are blessed with an open mind. They don’t accept the unalterable convictions of their peers. Instead they think out of the box. Darwin is a good example.

Hans Christian Anderson wrote “The Emperor’s New Clothes” to warn against blindly following the crowd.

If scientism is an excessive belief in the power of scientific knowledge and techniques., then the adherents are limited. They don’t delve into philosophy, metaphysics, social studies, economics, spirituality or any mind improving studies. They are not lost but they are definitely stuck.

Science changes gradually and the skeptics are kept at bay only to sometimes be proven right when a recognized scientific authority, advocates their unheeded insights.

People can understand the restrictions of dogma, when they note that religious followers are candles in the box when they should be candles in the wind.

The same is true of any person who embraces his dogma too tightly.

This week I was introduced to perennial psychology which advocates reaching a vibrant and creative stage in the external world while maintaining a state of inner tranquility.

How can that not be a way to increase my intellectual pursuits?