Life on Venus?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Life on Venus?

Post by Gary Childress »

Saw this posted on another forum. Looks interesting to me. However, I wonder why scientists are only just now detecting it? I believe they've had the ability to detect molecules on other planets for a while. And there have been probes sent. How come they didn't find anything before?

https://ras.ac.uk/news-and-press/news/v ... -factsheet
gaffo

Re: Life on Venus?

Post by gaffo »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:06 pm Saw this posted on another forum. Looks interesting to me. However, I wonder why scientists are only just now detecting it? I believe they've had the ability to detect molecules on other planets for a while. And there have been probes sent. How come they didn't find anything before?

https://ras.ac.uk/news-and-press/news/v ... -factsheet
no life on Venus today, but i suspect it was earthlike 4 billion yrs ago - with water under the weaker sun, and a nice temperature.

she is 2-3 times closer to Earth than Mars, and "should" be a nice place to live - even today (place Earth in Venus orbit - 93 to 67 million miles - still in habitable zone) - Earth at 67 million mils would be unlivable at the equator, but the poles would be a nice 80 deg place).

but the Venusian oceans "boiled off" (the evaporated off more aptly) - for whatever reason - though Venus is nearly the mass of Earth, did not have enough (or any?) magnetci field to prevent her oceans from evaporating off - the thick amosphere it has now is evidence she did have alot of water at one time).

Mars had a magnatic field, but lost it with the first billion yrs due to her low mass, Venus "should have" a mag field being nearly the mass of Earth, but does not!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why not? this i would like to understand, and not heard of why she does not from any Astro-physists. (they prob have no clue either - but never even heard a talk about this!).

BTW Mercury does have a mag field (but is too close to the sun to allow an atmosphere today in spite of it (may have had one a long time ago - who knows)., and strong one too- though being of lower mass than even Mars - but is unusually dense for her size - another mystery.

with what we know today (which is clearly not enough) - Venus "should be a nice place to live" - its closer to Earth than Mars, and so should be a nice place - Earth being in the center of the Hapitable zone, it "should" have an Magnetic Field being the same mass as the Earth.

etc.

mystery why she is hell instead of heaven.