Curiosity about E=mc squared

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Curiosity about E=mc squared

Post by Gary Childress »

It is said that E=mc with a little 2 just above the "c" indicating that something is squared. My question is, what is squared? Is the result of the multiplication of "m" and "c" squared or is the c squared first and then multiplied by m?
uwot

Re: Curiosity about E=mc squared

Post by uwot »

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:42 pm It is said that E=mc with a little 2 just above the "c" indicating that something is squared. My question is, what is squared? Is the result of the multiplication of "m" and "c" squared or is the c squared first and then multiplied by m?
Just the c - it's E= m x c x c.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Thanks. Not that I really needed to know that in order to solve any equation I'm working on (as I'm not working on any) but the question did pop into my head when I was looking closely at the problem. I had an epiphany on the Theory of Relativity a few minutes ago that made some things more clear to me but then I hit some roadblocks on other aspects. My mind is touch and go these days. One minute it's thinking and the next minute I'm in "couch potato" mode. :(
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

uwot is right, when you think about the relationship bet matter/mass and energy, it makes since - and constant ratio bet matter and energy - a trillion to one - lest say.

IF the equation were E=(MC)2 - then when there is a "big body of mass" then the its equivalent energy would be less then if it were as small partical (the mass of the body in question would be squared) - and so the "c" part would take a smaller part in the eqaution for the big mass than the small tiny partical - and so making atoms "different" - having less "energy" if sitting in a large body, than if in a small partical.

make sense?
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

that is an excellent question BTW
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:09 am Thanks. Not that I really needed to know that in order to solve any equation I'm working on (as I'm not working on any) but the question did pop into my head when I was looking closely at the problem. I had an epiphany on the Theory of Relativity a few minutes ago that made some things more clear to me but then I hit some roadblocks on other aspects. My mind is touch and go these days. One minute it's thinking and the next minute I'm in "couch potato" mode. :(
thinking about stuff is good. too many don't sadly ;-/.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

gaffo wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:06 pm that is an excellent question BTW
Thank you, gaffo. Appreciate the answers. :D
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:05 pm
gaffo wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:06 pm that is an excellent question BTW
Thank you, gaffo. Appreciate the answers. :D
sure, i always welcome discussion about "stuff"
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

I'll never get this, and I've even read Woit's excellent book about it.

The speed of light is one light year per year. So E=M.

No?
uwot

Post by uwot »

PeteJ wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:30 am I'll never get this, and I've even read Woit's excellent book about it.

The speed of light is one light year per year. So E=M.

No?
Try this bloke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZEhmWFlrnM
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

uwot wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:11 pm Try this bloke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZEhmWFlrnM
Thanks, but I'm not really interested. I shouldn't have posted.
socrat44

Post by socrat44 »

E=mc^2 can be in a ''rest''- potential state
E=mc^2 can be in active state (destroyed Hiroshima and Nagasaki)
according to Einstein's E=mc^2 is responsible for “inertial” movement
''DOES THE INERTIA OF A BODY DEPEND UPON ITS ENERGY-CONTENT?''
/ Einstein, 1905 /
according to Dirac E= ± mc^2 has dualistic nature
Attachments
E=mc^2.jpg
E=mc^2.jpg (2.52 KiB) Viewed 3038 times

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:09 am Thanks. Not that I really needed to know that in order to solve any equation I'm working on (as I'm not working on any) but the question did pop into my head when I was looking closely at the problem. I had an epiphany on the Theory of Relativity a few minutes ago that made some things more clear to me but then I hit some roadblocks on other aspects. My mind is touch and go these days. One minute it's thinking and the next minute I'm in "couch potato" mode. :(
This is because 'you' are NOT Truly OPEN.

By the way, there is NO "my mind".
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:53 pm
This is because 'you' are NOT Truly OPEN.

By the way, there is NO "my mind".
What do you mean by me not being "truly open"?
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:06 pm What do you mean by me not being "truly open"?
What Age means by, "truly open," is what is sometimes called an, "open mind."
An, "open mind," is like a open sewer into which just anything can be dumped and it has to accept it.
A, "closed mind," doesn't accept anything.
A, "descriminating mind," has a gate on it that does not allow anything in that cannot pass the test, "no contradictions allowed."

Age wants everyone to have an open mind into which he can dump all his contradictory crap.

Hope this helps.