Curiosity about E=mc squared

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Curiosity about E=mc squared

Post by Gary Childress »

It is said that E=mc with a little 2 just above the "c" indicating that something is squared. My question is, what is squared? Is the result of the multiplication of "m" and "c" squared or is the c squared first and then multiplied by m?
uwot

Re: Curiosity about E=mc squared

Post by uwot »

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:42 pm It is said that E=mc with a little 2 just above the "c" indicating that something is squared. My question is, what is squared? Is the result of the multiplication of "m" and "c" squared or is the c squared first and then multiplied by m?
Just the c - it's E= m x c x c.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Thanks. Not that I really needed to know that in order to solve any equation I'm working on (as I'm not working on any) but the question did pop into my head when I was looking closely at the problem. I had an epiphany on the Theory of Relativity a few minutes ago that made some things more clear to me but then I hit some roadblocks on other aspects. My mind is touch and go these days. One minute it's thinking and the next minute I'm in "couch potato" mode. :(
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

uwot is right, when you think about the relationship bet matter/mass and energy, it makes since - and constant ratio bet matter and energy - a trillion to one - lest say.

IF the equation were E=(MC)2 - then when there is a "big body of mass" then the its equivalent energy would be less then if it were as small partical (the mass of the body in question would be squared) - and so the "c" part would take a smaller part in the eqaution for the big mass than the small tiny partical - and so making atoms "different" - having less "energy" if sitting in a large body, than if in a small partical.

make sense?
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

that is an excellent question BTW
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:09 am Thanks. Not that I really needed to know that in order to solve any equation I'm working on (as I'm not working on any) but the question did pop into my head when I was looking closely at the problem. I had an epiphany on the Theory of Relativity a few minutes ago that made some things more clear to me but then I hit some roadblocks on other aspects. My mind is touch and go these days. One minute it's thinking and the next minute I'm in "couch potato" mode. :(
thinking about stuff is good. too many don't sadly ;-/.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

gaffo wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:06 pm that is an excellent question BTW
Thank you, gaffo. Appreciate the answers. :D
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:05 pm
gaffo wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:06 pm that is an excellent question BTW
Thank you, gaffo. Appreciate the answers. :D
sure, i always welcome discussion about "stuff"
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

I'll never get this, and I've even read Woit's excellent book about it.

The speed of light is one light year per year. So E=M.

No?
uwot

Post by uwot »

PeteJ wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:30 am I'll never get this, and I've even read Woit's excellent book about it.

The speed of light is one light year per year. So E=M.

No?
Try this bloke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZEhmWFlrnM
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

uwot wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:11 pm Try this bloke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZEhmWFlrnM
Thanks, but I'm not really interested. I shouldn't have posted.