How time can only exist at now and yet has a direction?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Re: How time can only exist at now and yet has a direction?

Post by bahman »

SpheresOfBalance wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:54 pm
bahman wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:59 pm I think we can agree on the arrow of time which tells us that there is a direction in time. Time, however, exists at one point so-called now, the past is collective memory and the future does not exist objectively. My question is how time can have a direction if it only exists at one point? That is a problem since you need two objective points (by two objective points I mean two points which both exist) to define a direction.
I see time as merely change. That we only exist on the leading edge of change, does not negate the truth of our past gradual changes, it has been written, if no where else in our own minds and history books. Change only happens now. Time is an arbitrary measurement of the sequence of change from the beginning to now. The future is simply the belief that change shall continue, but there are far too many actors that cause change for it to be known as real. The direction, if you will, is defined by the memory of past changes relative to now. I believe that Kant was right about time in that, 'it's not an event or a thing and therefore cannot be measured or travelled in and of itself.' That it's just a method for humans to keep track of the sequence of change, in an attempt to believe we have control of future changes, to diminish uncertainty, because we need to feel in control so as to eliminate, as much as possible, the fear of the unknown.
Time is required for change. I have an argument for that. Therefore time is different from change.
bahman

Post by bahman »

surreptitious57 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:54 am Time is simply the measurement of change or motion between states
No. Time is an entity that allows change or motion. Change is different from motion. Change refers to two different states of affairs that one comes after another. Motion is the process of reaching from one state of affair to another one.
surreptitious57 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:54 am A state is simply a point of existence which moves seamlessly from the present to the past almost immediately
A sate is only a point of existence. It doesn't move. You get from one point of existence to another one when you move. This process is continuous.
surreptitious57 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:54 am And so while the state of now is eternal it is also collectively composed of these virtually instantaneous points
What do you mean with eternal? Always has existed?
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Humans with such a short lifespan like to believe in the eternal and I guess relatively
there kind of is but there is no evidence that proves anything is eternal by definition
One would need an eternity of time to prove the eternal but I do not think its possible for existence to
simply stop given what is known about quantum mechanics and more specifically quantum fluctuations

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:56 pm
bahman wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:59 pm I think we can agree on the arrow of time which tells us that there is a direction in time. Time, however, exists at one point so-called now, the past is collective memory and the future does not exist objectively. My question is how time can have a direction if it only exists at one point? That is a problem since you need two objective points (by two objective points I mean two points which both exist) to define a direction.
I see time as merely change. That we only exist on the leading edge of change, does not negate the truth of our past gradual changes, it has been written, if no where else in our own minds and history books. Change only happens now. Time is an arbitrary measurement of the sequence of change from the beginning to now. The future is simply the belief that change shall continue, but there are far too many actors that cause change for it to be known as real. The direction, if you will, is defined by the memory of past changes relative to now. I believe that Kant was right about time in that, 'it's not an event or a thing and therefore cannot be measured or travelled in and of itself.' That it's just a method for humans to keep track of the sequence of change, in an attempt to believe we have control of future changes, to diminish uncertainty, because we need to feel in control so as to eliminate, as much as possible, the fear of the unknown.
Time is required for change.
WHY?

What is 'time' exactly that there could NOT be change without this thing that you call "time" but have yet to explain what 'it' IS exactly?
bahman wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:56 pmI have an argument for that.
When are we going to see it?
bahman wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:56 pm Therefore time is different from change.
This is your argument here:

P1. Time is required for change.
P2. I have an argument for that.
C. Therefore, time is different from change.

Just to make is CLEAR this says and explains ABSOLUTELY NOTHING at all.

What is 'time', which 'change' NEEDS to exist?

What is your so called "argument"?

If 'time' is different from 'change', then how EXACTLY?

Answer the clarifying questions to PROVE what you are saying is even slightly true, let alone actually true.

Post by Age »

SpheresOfBalance wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:37 am
surreptitious57 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:54 am Time is simply the measurement of change or motion between states
A state is simply a point of existence which moves seamlessly from the present to the past almost immediately
And so while the state of now is eternal it is also collectively composed of these virtually instantaneous points
Thanks for your version.
Motion is change, the change of relative position. I merely reduced it to it's most common denominator, change.
Humans with such a short lifespan like to believe in the eternal, and I guess relatively there kind of is, but there is no evidence that proves anything is eternal, by definition. It's just a limited human concept with no necessary means of proof.
'finite' is also just a limited human concept, and a more 'limited' it could be argued, but also with no necessary means of proof.
SpheresOfBalance wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:37 amCan you say big bang?
Yes, but so what?
SpheresOfBalance wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:37 amEternal
adjective
1) without beginning or end; lasting forever; always existing (opposed to temporal): eternal life.
2) perpetual; ceaseless; endless: eternal quarreling; eternal chatter.
3) enduring; immutable: eternal principles.
4) Metaphysics. existing outside all relations of time; not subject to change.
What is this meant to mean or infer?

Post by Age »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:11 pm
A state is simply a point of existence which moves seamlessly from the present to the past almost immediately
And so while the state of now is eternal it is also collectively composed of these virtually instantaneous points
And what is motion but multiple states?
Will you provide a list of examples of some of these supposed 'states'?
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:11 pmIf I see change, I see one image, then another image. One image Inverts to many.
So what?

That is just how Nature and Existence works.

Post by Age »

attofishpi wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:17 pm
SpheresOfBalance wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:37 am
Thanks for your version.
Motion is change, the change of relative position. I merely reduced it to it's most common denominator, change.
Humans with such a short lifespan like to believe in the eternal, and I guess relatively there kind of is, but there is no evidence that proves anything is eternal, by definition. It's just a limited human concept with no necessary means of proof. Can you say big bang?
Hello Spheres ..welcome back. :mrgreen:
SpheresOfBalance wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:37 amEternal
adjective
1) without beginning or end; lasting forever; always existing (opposed to temporal): eternal life.
Because humans cannot conceive of eternal
For me it is far EASIER and SIMPLER to observe and view, thus conceive of, an 'eternal' than it is to conceive of a 'non-eternal'.
attofishpi wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:17 pm - does not negate its plausibility - in fact, since if things exist NOW, then it will always draw us mere humans back to 'how can anything ever exist' or 'not exist'?
Since 'things' do exist, then it - the universe - must be eternal.
Thus the 3 laws of thermodynamics.
Even though perceivable reality can no longer exist, temporarily, eventually a perceivable reality will return (absent of us).

Put another way... The universe has formed to an extent that consciousness has arisen to now reflect upon its own existence. The universe will probably return to a state where it is impossible for conscious awareness to exist, roll the dice of thermodynamics enough times, and eventually you return to a reality with conscious observers - in fact - those observers may eventually manipulate matter\energy to the point where not only is the universe realised as eternal, but the 'souls' of conscious observers are also ...who nose - but yes - to that degree I doubt it. I truly don't believe souls are immortal to THAT scale.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:06 pm
No. Time is an entity that allows change or motion. Change is different from motion. Change refers to two different states of affairs that one comes after another. Motion is the process of reaching from one state of affair to another one.
Do you have any examples of these supposed "different states of affairs"?
surreptitious57 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:54 am A state is simply a point of existence which moves seamlessly from the present to the past almost immediately
A sate is only a point of existence. It doesn't move. You get from one point of existence to another one when you move. This process is continuous.
Any examples?
surreptitious57 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:54 am And so while the state of now is eternal it is also collectively composed of these virtually instantaneous points
What do you mean with eternal? Always has existed?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:40 pm

WHY?
Because two states of affair related to a change cannot lay on one point and because any change has a duration.
Age wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:40 pm What is 'time' exactly that there could NOT be change without this thing that you call "time" but have yet to explain what 'it' IS exactly?
I explained what time is. Time is an entity that allows change to occur. Are you asking what time is made of?
bahman wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:56 pm I have an argument for that.
Ok, here is the argument: Consider a change in a system, A to B, A and B are two states of affair. A and B cannot coexist therefore they should lay on different points, points belong to a variable. There should be also a duration to reach from A to B otherwise change never take place. We call this variable as time.

No this is my argument:
1) Time is required for change (I have an argument for that)
2) Two things which one is needed for another one are different
3) Therefore, time is different from change
Age wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:40 pm Just to make is CLEAR this says and explains ABSOLUTELY NOTHING at all.

Answer the clarifying questions to PROVE what you are saying is even slightly true, let alone actually true.
Change is something, namely one state of affair goes to another state of affair, that happens in the stuff we experience. Like moving a ball on pool table. Time is required for this motion.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:00 pm
Do you have any examples of these supposed "different states of affairs"?
Like two positions of a billiard ball on a table. The ball in the first position on the table is the first state of affair and the ball in the second position is the second state of affair.
Age wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:00 pm
Any examples?
Like the ball in the first position. That is one state.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Age wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:49 pm

A drop of water in one position then another position. A star in one position then another position. A car in one position than another position. Etc.

What forms each respective phenomenon existing in one position than another position.

The positions in which each phenomenon exist determine the phenomena itself as what composed each phenomena as other phenomena in specific positions.

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:11 pmIf I see change, I see one image, then another image. One image Inverts to many.
So what?

Then time is the relation of parts, and change is multiplicity of static forms.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

bahman wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:54 pm
commonsense wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:03 pm Timely time is negative time, according to the rule of double positives.
What do you mean with this statement? What are negative time and timely time?
commonsense wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:03 pm There is no time in the past, only memories.
True.
commonsense wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:03 pm There is no time in the future, only hopes, guesses and expectations.
True.
commonsense wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:03 pm Time is only now. It does not move forward or backward.
Time changes but it doesn't move since it has no spaciality. Time occurs at now which is infinitesimal. Infinitesimal has a direction. Time, therefore, is continuous and has direction.
commonsense wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:03 pm What is negative time? How does time exist in the negative? How is negative time measured? Some people speak of a good time to do something—is negative time good for not doing things? How does negative time affect the longevity of things? What happens if we speak of time times time, for example, if we say that the train is on time multiple times per day? Can negative time undo something that we remember happening in the past? Can there be negative time outs in basketball games? If a runner runs his fastest time, does he finish the race before it started? Can anytime be negative time? What if Springtime turned negative—will that mean it will snow in Summertime? Does negative time mean that the Earth’s rotation or its movement around the sun will be reversed? Isn’t it about time, or about negative time, to answer questions like these? Take your negative sweet time to think about it.
How could you deduce something about negative time, your first statement, not knowing what is negative time?
Take a look in the logic and math forum at the thread about double positives making a negative. The OP for that thread explains the Rule of Double Positives. According to this rule, 2 positives make a negative. I am sure that this rule is nonsense. However, according to the rule timely time (2 positives, similar to “goodest good” which is used as an example in the other thread) makes negative time (or makes evil in the other thread). I have no idea what negative time is. I simply applied the rule. Unless someone can adequately explain negative time, the rule fails.

I hope this helps.

Post by Age »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:44 pm

A drop of water in one position then another position. A star in one position then another position. A car in one position than another position. Etc.

What forms each respective phenomenon existing in one position than another position.

The positions in which each phenomenon exist determine the phenomena itself as what composed each phenomena as other phenomena in specific positions.

But they are NOT different 'states'. They are ALL examples of just the One CONTINUAL 'state of change'.

You may recognize and notice one 'position' to "another" 'position', but this does NOT happen SEPARATELY. The very act of you CGOOSING one position and comparing it, or measuring it, to another position is what the word 'time's defines.

There is just One continual flowing 'changing' state.

So, IF you can NOT provide a list of examples of some of these supposed 'states', then as far as I can see, there are NO 'states' but rather just thee One 'state', of change.
So what?

Will you provide examples of these 'static forms', which you see?
Last edited by Age on Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Age wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:15 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:44 pm

But they are NOT different 'states'. They are ALL examples of just the One CONTINUAL 'state of change'.

You may recognize and notice one 'position' to "another" 'position', but this does NOT happen SEPARATELY. The very act of you CGOOSING one position and comparing it, or measuring it, to another position is what the word 'time's defines.

There is just One continual flowing 'changing' state.

So, IF you can NOT provide a list of examples of some of these supposed 'states', then as far as I can see, there are NO 'states' but rather just thee One 'state', of change.

So what?

Will you provide examples of these 'static forms', which you see?
Any phenomenon composed of infinite change.

Waves.
Brancning.
Spirals.
Spheres.
Angles

All found in nature.

Thus static is infinite change, change is multiple static states, static is infinite static states (infinite multiplicity as no multiplicity) and change is multiple infinite states (finite number of infinities as multiplicity).

Phenomenon are static and dynamic.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:25 pm
WHY?
Because two states of affair related to a change cannot lay on one point and because any change has a duration.
What does 'two states of affair' actually mean?

What 'affair' are you talking about?

Until it is explained HOW there can be more than the one 'state', which is constantly changing, then what I observe is one state in one constant flux. I have yet to see any separation other than through a concept of defined differences.
Age wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:40 pm What is 'time' exactly that there could NOT be change without this thing that you call "time" but have yet to explain what 'it' IS exactly?
I explained what time is.

Time is an entity that allows change to occur.
This does NOT explain what 'time' is.

I have also asked you what is that 'entity', which you call 'time'. You have yet to do this.

Saying, "time is an entity that allows change to occur", is just like saying, "God is an entity that creates every thing". BOTH say NOTHING at all really. Unless what the 'entity' actually IS, is defined AND explained, then "others" really have NO idea of what is being talked about.
bahman wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:25 pmAre you asking what time is made of?
Explaining that would help your position tremendously, but what I was asking is what is 'time'? You say, "time is an entity", so what I then asked before is, 'what is that 'entity', exactly?
bahman wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:56 pm I have an argument for that.
Ok, here is the argument: Consider a change in a system, A to B, A and B are two states of affair. A and B cannot coexist therefore they should lay on different points, points belong to a variable.
Okay, but you have to remember that A and B are NOT two separate things, although 'you', human beings, may see them as different things AND call them different things. A and B are NOT essentially different and separate but rather just A transforming or changing into B. There is only One state, which is changing. The two "different points", which are just points belonging to a variable, are just human being made up "points", laying on a human being made up "variable".

There should be also a duration to reach from A to B otherwise change never take place.

I agree there would be a duration to get from A to B. This is how A changed into B.
bahman wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:25 pmWe call this variable as time.
Which is EXACTLY what I am saying, which you are 'trying to' dispute. But, your argument could be helping me more than you.

That 'variable', which you are just labeling as 'time', is just a 'MEASURED' variable, which is what I say 'time' is.

'time' just being the label or the name given to the behavior of measuring between two or more perceived and recognized as different points.

If you want to keep insisting that 'time' is some thing, or some entity, that MUST exist otherwise change could NOT take place, then you will have to explain AND define what 'time', the entity, IS exactly.

No this is my argument:
1) Time is required for change (I have an argument for that)
2) Two things which one is needed for another one are different
3) Therefore, time is different from change
But this says NOTHING at all really.

If 'time' is REQUIRED for change, then what is this THING, you call 'time'? And, what is STOPPING 'change' if this 'time' THING did NOT exist? Or, HOW exactly does this 'time' THING make 'change' happen?

What does "Two things which one is needed for another one are different" actually mean and is actually referring to? For example, what example do you have of 'two things'? How is one needed for "another one", in actual REAL terms and NOT just in human being made up language, which provides definitions and which is how human beings differentiate the One thing into many?

You say, "time is different from change". How so?
Age wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:40 pm Just to make is CLEAR this says and explains ABSOLUTELY NOTHING at all.

Change is something, namely one state of affair goes to another state of affair, that happens in the stuff we experience.
Using words like "one state" to "another state", does not really explain any thing. Adding words like "affair" and "stuff" only adds more confusion to this.
bahman wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:25 pmLike moving a ball on pool table. Time is required for this motion.
For a ball to MOVE, on any table, an ACTION is REQUIRED. Do I NEED to explain what an 'action' IS?

You say 'time' is REQUIRED to MOVE a ball, on a pool table. Now you NEED to explain what 'time' IS.