How time can only exist at now and yet has a direction?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: How time can only exist at now and yet has a direction?

Post by attofishpi »

commonsense wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:40 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:34 pm
commonsense wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:40 pm PAST <————— PRESENT <-— FUTURE
MEMORY <——— NOW <-——— PREDICTION
Not Time <——- Now <———— Not Time
Finally someone with a bit of nouse!
The nose knows.
Yep, sniff out the Truth.

Apparently TIME is MONEY. C_ASH.

https://www.androcies.com/galleryscroll.php
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

bahman wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:59 pm I think we can agree on the arrow of time which tells us that there is a direction in time. Time, however, exists at one point so-called now, the past is collective memory and the future does not exist objectively. My question is how time can have a direction if it only exists at one point? That is a problem since you need two objective points (by two objective points I mean two points which both exist) to define a direction.
That's easy, in one word: Sequence!
bahman

Post by bahman »

SpheresOfBalance wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:47 am
bahman wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:59 pm I think we can agree on the arrow of time which tells us that there is a direction in time. Time, however, exists at one point so-called now, the past is collective memory and the future does not exist objectively. My question is how time can have a direction if it only exists at one point? That is a problem since you need two objective points (by two objective points I mean two points which both exist) to define a direction.
That's easy, in one word: Sequence!
It cannot be a sequence since a sequence is a set of ordered objects. They must all exist. In the case of time only now exist.
SpheresOfBalance

You spoke of the direction of time, not the existence of time. So sequence is the answer.
bahman

Post by bahman »

SpheresOfBalance wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:04 am You spoke of the direction of time, not the existence of time. So sequence is the answer.
But as I argued to have a direction you at least need two objective points.
SpheresOfBalance

bahman wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:22 am
SpheresOfBalance wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:04 am You spoke of the direction of time, not the existence of time. So sequence is the answer.
Nope all you need is sequence. All time is, is change!

time [ tahym ]
noun
1) the system of those
sequential relations that any event has to any other, as past, present, or future; indefinite and continuous duration regarded as that in which events succeed one another.
Like I said, Sequence!
bahman

Post by bahman »

SpheresOfBalance wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:32 am

time [ tahym ]
noun
1) the system of those
sequential relations that any event has to any other, as past, present, or future; indefinite and continuous duration regarded as that in which events succeed one another.
Like I said, Sequence!
Again sequence is a set of ordered objects. I am arguing that you cannot even have two ordered points since time exist only at now.
SpheresOfBalance

bahman wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:39 am

time [ tahym ]
noun
1) the system of those
Like I said, Sequence!
Again sequence is a set of ordered objects. I am arguing that you cannot even have two ordered points since time exist only at now.
I just gave you the definition of sequence, I'm sorry that you don't know what the word means. You're probably loosing something in it's translation.

Here, this is from what many believe is the English Dictionary of all English Dictionaries: Oxford:

sequence
Pronunciation /ˈsiːkw(ə)ns/
noun

1A particular order in which related things follow each other.
‘the content of the programme should follow a logical sequence’

Is that clear enough for you? I hope so, because I won't tell you again. Learn our language before you criticise it, Please!
Last edited by SpheresOfBalance on Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
bahman

Post by bahman »

SpheresOfBalance wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:41 am

time [ tahym ]
noun
1) the system of those
Like I said, Sequence!
I just gave you the definition of sequence, I'm sorry that you don't know what the word means. You're probably loosing something in it's translation.
And I gave my definition of sequence which is simpler.
SpheresOfBalance

bahman wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:44 am

Here, this is from what many believe is the English Dictionary of all English Dictionaries: Oxford:

sequence
noun

Is that clear enough for you? I hope so, because I won't tell you again. Learn our language before you criticise it, Please!
bahman

Post by bahman »

SpheresOfBalance wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:49 am

sequence
noun

I was referring to another definition of sequence: a set of related events, movements, or items that follow each other in a particular order. And my definition is the sequence is a set of ordered objects. The objects being things that exist like, event, movement, etc.
SpheresOfBalance

bahman wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:59 am
SpheresOfBalance wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:49 am

sequence
noun

I was referring to another definition of sequence: a set of related events, movements, or items that follow each other in a particular order. And my definition is the sequence is a set of ordered objects. The objects being things that exist like, event, movement, etc.
You and I grew from an egg and a sperm, once they were joined they were no longer two different things, they are then called zygotes, which are a grouping of attached cells that divide such that 1 become 2, 2 become 4, 4 become 8, etc, etc that takes time, it is a sequence, 8 cells cannot come before 2. Eventually they become an embryo then a fetus then a baby. That this starts in the past and comes to now, which, barring death, goes into the future, which when it arrives, is always ever now, points in the direction of time. PERIOD! Time starts in the past moving toward the future, always ever known in the now. Each now that we've been through was only ever immediately prior to the current now sequentially. Every now that we may come to know, immediately follows our current now sequentially. That we only ever know now, on the line of time, does not negate direction. Chemical reactions start and finish indicating direction.

Crap, it's like you don't know anything about the Big Bang.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

You’re not allowed to make up your own definition. Use the one published by recognized experts.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

commonsense wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:04 pm
Time is only now and has no direction.

If it were possible to move from time-1 to time-2, you would easily observe the direction of time. But it is not possible to do this.

There will never be a time-2 because when you, if you could, move away from time-1 to reach time-2, time-2 becomes time-1 and what used to be time-1 becomes nonexistent.

Anything that’s a memory is not now and is not time. Anything that’s an expectation is not now and is not time.

Actually, there was no time-2 to begin with. What you called time-2 wasn’t a time at all. It was only an expectation, an anticipation, a prediction or a hope.

Furthermore, the time-1 that you began with became a memory when it became a nonexistent time.

There is only one time and it has no direction.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

commonsense wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:43 pm PAST <————— PRESENT <-— FUTURE
MEMORY <——— NOW <-——— PREDICTION
Not Time <——- Now <———— Not Time
If time had a direction, which it most certainly does not, it would be from future to past because something cannot have happened before it was still going to happen.