Entanglement and Information

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Atla

Re: Entanglement and Information

Post by Atla »

philosopher wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:34 pmQuantum Biology deals with how evolution works through quantum processes. Stuff that speeds up the evolution.
Again no, speeding up evolution is one part of it. To give some examples, enzymes in your body, and your ability to smell, are using quantum effects right now (the second one is questionable though).
Or look up the European Robin if you want to see quantum entanglement exploited in a living body (probably). I wonder if that counts as information-transfer or not.
It has nothing to do with how the brain works.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mind
The main theoretical argument against the quantum mind hypothesis is the assertion that quantum states in the brain would lose coherency before they reached a scale where they could be useful for neural processing. This supposition was elaborated by Tegmark. His calculations indicate that quantum systems in the brain decohere at sub-picosecond timescales.[71][72] No response by a brain has shown computational results or reactions on this fast of a timescale. Typical reactions are on the order of milliseconds, trillions of times longer than sub-picosecond timescales.[73]
This is more like a quantum theory of consciousness, which is just quantum woo crackpottery.
philosopher

Post by philosopher »

Atla wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:43 pm
philosopher wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:34 pmQuantum Biology deals with how evolution works through quantum processes. Stuff that speeds up the evolution.
Again no, speeding up evolution is one part of it. To give some examples, enzymes in your body, and your ability to smell, are using quantum effects right now (the second one is questionable though).
Or look up the European Robin if you want to see quantum entanglement exploited in a living body (probably). I wonder if that counts as information-transfer or not.
Nothing in what you're saying here is original.

I see you've watched the BBC documentary about quantum mechanics (2nd part).
With Jim al-khalili as host.

Try watch some lectures on quantum mechanics as well.
Atla

Post by Atla »

philosopher wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:34 pm

Says the guy who has shown in every comment to know just about nothing about it.
philosopher

Post by philosopher »

Atla wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:42 pm
philosopher wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:34 pm

Says the guy who has shown in every comment to know just about nothing about it.
I do not claim to know what to make of Quantum Mechanics.

You seem to "know" everything about it, though.
"If you think you understand quantum mechanics then you don't understand quantum mechanics."
Richard Feynman.
The only thing I think is to what NOT make of it.