Holographic Principle

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

philosopher

Holographic Principle

Post by philosopher »

The latest scientific bet on how the universe works is the Holographic Principle. I don't quite understand it... where is this hologram (2D flat surface projecting our 3-dimensional reality) located?

Some say it is at the boundaries of our universe... but wait a second... how can it project our reality so far away when we know of the speed limit of light?

I'm not saying the theory is wrong, but the journalists translating the theory into common-way of thinking and publishing it on popular science documentaries do a terrible job explaining this thing.
Atla

Re: Holographic Principle

Post by Atla »

I propose the Floppy Disk Principle instead: yeah yeah, the information of a 3d universe can be encoded on a 2d surface, but it can also be stored on a floppy disk of epic proportions. Therefore the universe is obviously a floppy disk.
philosopher

Re: Holographic Principle

Post by philosopher »

Atla wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:22 pm I propose the Floppy Disk Principle instead: yeah yeah, the information of a 3d universe can be encoded on a 2d surface, but it can also be stored on a floppy disk of epic proportions. Therefore the universe is obviously a floppy disk.
You're not going to suggest the Simulation Hypothesis, are you? It's just another fancy term for the religious "Intelligent Design"-argument already debunked.

Btw. I did a google, and found this PBS Space Time episode explaining the holographic principle so it makes sense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJevBNQsKtU