Thought Experiments and Empiricism

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

ADG

Thought Experiments and Empiricism

Post by ADG »

The debate between Norton and Brown regarding whether thought experiments transcend empiricism is interesting with Norton suggesting that thought experiments do not transcend empiricism.

If one had to choose a thought experiment to defend Norton's view, would Galileo's thought experiment that two falling bodies fall with the same acceleration be a suitable thought experiment since it can be empirically tested and it also can be written in a premise and conclusion argument form. I am not sure whether this would be a deductive argument though.

Also, wouldn't the assumption that connecting the heavier (H) and lighter (L) body makes one body of weight (H+L) mean that one of the premises of the argument would be false.

Thank you for your help!
gaffo

Re: Thought Experiments and Empiricism

Post by gaffo »

ADG wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:45 pm The debate between Norton and Brown regarding whether thought experiments transcend empiricism is interesting with Norton suggesting that thought experiments do not transcend empiricism.

If one had to choose a thought experiment to defend Norton's view, would Galileo's thought experiment that two falling bodies fall with the same acceleration be a suitable thought experiment since it can be empirically tested and it also can be written in a premise and conclusion argument form. I am not sure whether this would be a deductive argument though.

Also, wouldn't the assumption that connecting the heavier (H) and lighter (L) body makes one body of weight (H+L) mean that one of the premises of the argument would be false.

Thank you for your help!
empiricism is a probuct of my mind - as a machine of proof (maybe a Truth outside of me - or not) - affirming the scientic method.

I'm a Solipsist BTW, not that it matters.

not a Phil major/degree holder (Engineer deg) - again not that it matters.

welcome more about the Norton and Brown you speak of - for the sake of eduction.

as a Solipsist i would have to side with Brown on this account - but welcome education of both men to make a more accurate assesement.

I'm a Dyslexic, so sorry for pisspoor spelling above.