Is our universe alone?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

surreptitious57

Re: Is our universe alone?

Post by surreptitious57 »

Age wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Nothing in science is correct with absolute certainty other than something which has been disproven
So actually there IS absolute certainty when some thing is disproved is this what you are saying now
Falsification is as close to absolute certainty as it is possible to get with regard to science
Whether it is absolute certainty is another matter entirely but it is as rigorous as possible
Atla

Post by Atla »

Age wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:39 pm
Very well, "Universe KNOWLEDGE" then.
Keep up the good work, humanity is in dire need of absolutely certain knowledge, coming straight from the Universe itself.
surreptitious57

Age wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Science does not do proof only evidence and evidence is never absolute only partial so is incomplete
So are you saying science is complete or incomplete

Also you seem to speak with an air of absolute certainty

Are you absolutely certain of some things or NOT
Science is incomplete but I was actually referring to evidence there not science
I try to avoid speaking with an air of absolute certainty about anything including something as diverse as science
I am absolutely certain of very few things or think I am and so generally am uncertain about most things I know
surreptitious57

surreptitious57 wrote:
I am more interested in discussing that than correcting your mistakes ken and so this is my final word
I much prefer your original username of ken so I shall call you that from now on
I do not like your current username which is why I will not be using it any more

Post by Age »

TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:16 pm
Age wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:09 pm Which WILL happen as the falsehoods in them are already obvious.
I am not really into fortune-telling. Either you have the evidence to falsify them today, or you don't.
Are there only two conclusions, that you can come up with?

Post by Age »

TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:17 pm
Age wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:14 pm I asked it because you seemingly kept forgetting what I have kept saying.
Are you certain or is that an assumption ;)
You appear to have black and white thinking. You come across as though things here, to you, have to be EITHER one or the other.

Did you not see or recognize the specifically written word 'seemingly' in my sentence.

In case you missed it, the word 'seemingly' infers that what appeared to be the case to me, may in fact be WRONG. Thus the reason I asked a question for clarity.

Maybe you are in fact NOT forgetting what I wrote at all, and are just being completely dismissive of it, or just completely ignoring, or maybe doing some thing else, for some other reason?

Post by Age »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:59 pm
Age wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Nothing in science is correct with absolute certainty other than something which has been disproven
So actually there IS absolute certainty when some thing is disproved is this what you are saying now
Falsification is as close to absolute certainty as it is possible to get with regard to science
Whether it is absolute certainty is another matter entirely but it is as rigorous as possible
Oh okay, so you are only talking 'absolute certainty not being possible' in relation to science stuff only?

The human beings who do science after all only deal with what maybe right and wrong and not with what is actually Real and True anyway.

Post by Age »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:31 pm
Age wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Science does not do proof only evidence and evidence is never absolute only partial so is incomplete
So are you saying science is complete or incomplete

Also you seem to speak with an air of absolute certainty

Are you absolutely certain of some things or NOT
Science is incomplete but I was actually referring to evidence there not science
I try to avoid speaking with an air of absolute certainty about anything including something as diverse as science
I am absolutely certain of very few things or think I am and so generally am uncertain about most things I know
So we are back to the start again.

Is 'absolute certainty' possible or impossible or 'I do not know'?

Because when a person writes things like; 'I am 'absolutely certain' of very few things ....' that sort of implies that 'absolute certainty' does in fact exist, and therefore IS possible. That kind of writing is sufficient 'evidence' for me to think that that person is speaking with 'an air of absolute certainty', in their voice, and enough 'evidence' for me to then question them for clarification so that I then KNOW, for sure.

Post by Age »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:52 pm
surreptitious57 wrote:
I am more interested in discussing that than correcting your mistakes ken and so this is my final word
I much prefer your original username of ken so I shall call you that from now on
I do not like your current username which is why I will not be using it any more
Fair enough. You can call 'I' whatever you feel like and so pleases you. Feel free to also call 'I' by the name that was used before that one you much prefer also.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Age wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:42 am You appear to have black and white thinking.
You appear to misunderstand the Bayesian framework.

Here is some reading/education for you: https://www.amazon.com/Probability-Theo ... 0521592712
Last edited by TimeSeeker on Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Age wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:35 am Are there only two conclusions, that you can come up with?
Yes. Prove me wrong (e.g teach me!) by providing a third.

Post by Age »

TimeSeeker wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:59 am
Age wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:42 am You appear to have black and white thinking.
You appear to misunderstand the Bayesian framework.
HOW can I misunderstand some thing if I have absolutely NO understanding of that thing at all?

If a person has NO understanding of some thing, then they can NOT have MIS-understanding of that thing too.

The ONLY THING I understand of the bayesian framework is that there is a name devised by human beings within the Universe called "bayesian framework", which would be the label placed onto or given to some particular thing, which you earlier said is a "tool". If I have misunderstood THAT what I KNOW of "bayesian framework", then feel free to correct me.

If, however, you really want to teach me some thing regarding whatever that thing is that has been given the name "bayesian framework, then feel free to go ahead. But if you are at all interested. I am NOT really interested in that "tool".

You APPEAR to have black and white thinking for the very reason I learned and understand what black and white thinking IS.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Age wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:34 am HOW can I misunderstand some thing if I have absolutely NO understanding of that thing at all?
You are fibbing. If you understood the Bayesian framework you wouldn't accuse me of "black and white" thinking.

So whether I said "you don't understand" or "you misunderstand" I am pointing at the same phenomenon: your false conclusion due to lack of information.

This would be an example of how you insist on me using the "correct" phrase to convey my message e.g attempting to control language.
Age wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:34 am If, however, you really want to teach me some thing regarding whatever that thing is that has been given the name "bayesian framework, then feel free to go ahead. But if you are at all interested. I am NOT really interested in that "tool".
I gave you a link to a book. Beyond that I am not interested in spending any of my time teaching you. You are welcome to read the reviews of the book and decide if you are, or aren't interested in the tool.

Here is one review: https://unvarnishedveritas.wordpress.co ... inference/

Post by Age »

TimeSeeker wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:59 am
Age wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:35 am Are there only two conclusions, that you can come up with?
Yes. Prove me wrong (e.g teach me!) by providing a third.
Did you misunderstand the question?

Did I say there was a third?
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Age wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:06 am Did you misunderstand the question?
No. I did't.

Age wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:06 am Did I say there was a third?
Did you misunderstand your question? You asked me how many I could come up with. I came up with 2. I am reasonably certain there is no 3rd option (unless somebody provides one).

I have framed my claim in a way that is falsifiable. So - until falsified it's not wrong.

You either know of a 3rd option, or 2 is the correct number...