Why do scientists think there was a big bang?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

gaffo

Re: Why do scientists think there was a big bang?

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:43 pm - 15 out of 100 may be peer acceptable, but it's not exactly a podium of absolute authority from which to define reality.

The mind is the most subtle and complex detection instrument known to man, but like a telescope it can get foggy, although not always from temperature change. Hubris is a more subtle fog, for a more subtle instrument.
indeed Sir!
gaffo

Re: Shoulda called it something else.

Post by gaffo »

Greta wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:22 pm
uwot wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:09 pm
Greta wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:31 pmFor the record, not too sure about the angle that quarks and electrons are slowed by big bang stuff. It's like saying that big bang stuff is slowed by big bang stuff.
Yeah, that's a bit ad hoc. The speed of waves through materials is complicated
I guess the point is that it's all big bang stuff, but some - like quarks and whatever's in the middle of supermassive black holes - are more primal than others, preserved fragments of earlier states.
yes, like a layer cake.

atoms, then protons-electrons, then neutrons (p-e fuse to the lower state of neutrons under extreme gravity), the quarks (neutrons fuse to quarks? - who knows), there may be lower layers too - maybe the BH singularity is so extreme that quarks fuse to lower lever stuff, and even that "stuff" fuses to even lower level "stuff".

just note that - through all that extreme environment - where even space is warped into itself - and is literally falling faster than the speed of light into the black hole (that is why its black) - one of the primary forces of nature remains unchanged in it behavior.

GRAVITY!

gravity - whatever that is - looks to be the most primal - a very low cake layer - of the forces we know about.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Greta wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:15 am I didn't quite pick up those thoughts on gravitational lensing, Walky.
I'm not walker - lol.

GL has been shown via "double images of the same galaxy" via another galaxy inbetween it and us - bending the light around the middle galaxy.

??? and?????????

should i assume your point is that such observations somehow shows that DM exists and is what is bending the light? - rather then just a regular matter in a regular galaxy that just sits between us and the galaxy imaged?
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Greta wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:32 am
The planets and stars themselves were the gods,
um, not sure about that myself.
Greta

Post by Greta »

gaffo wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:45 am
Greta wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:15 am I didn't quite pick up those thoughts on gravitational lensing, Walky.
I'm not walker - lol.
Probably for the best. The reply was meant for Walker, whom I'd asked about gravitational lensing, but who returned a lengthy reply without answering the question.
Greta

Re: Shoulda called it something else.

Post by Greta »

gaffo wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:38 am
Greta wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:22 pm
uwot wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:09 pm Yeah, that's a bit ad hoc. The speed of waves through materials is complicated
I guess the point is that it's all big bang stuff, but some - like quarks and whatever's in the middle of supermassive black holes - are more primal than others, preserved fragments of earlier states.
yes, like a layer cake.

atoms, then protons-electrons, then neutrons (p-e fuse to the lower state of neutrons under extreme gravity), the quarks (neutrons fuse to quarks? - who knows), there may be lower layers too - maybe the BH singularity is so extreme that quarks fuse to lower lever stuff, and even that "stuff" fuses to even lower level "stuff".

just note that - through all that extreme environment - where even space is warped into itself - and is literally falling faster than the speed of light into the black hole (that is why its black) - one of the primary forces of nature remains unchanged in it behavior.

GRAVITY!

gravity - whatever that is - looks to be the most primal - a very low cake layer - of the forces we know about.
The order is incorrect - fortunately a link to uwot's material is on the forum. Well worth reading IMO
uwot

Thank you, Greta.

Post by uwot »

Greta wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:04 am...a link to uwot's material is on the forum. Well worth reading IMO
Very kind of you to say so. I've just added a new bit on quantum fields and leaps and stuff https://willijbouwman.blogspot.com
uwot

You sure, gaffo?

Post by uwot »

gaffo wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:58 amthe yardstick is expanding with the cubic space it is measuring!
So how can you tell if anything is expanding?
Greta

Re: the stuff of reality

Post by Greta »

uwot wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:27 pm
Greta wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:04 am...a link to uwot's material is on the forum. Well worth reading IMO
Very kind of you to say so. I've just added a new bit on quantum fields and leaps and stuff https://willijbouwman.blogspot.com
Cheers, I enjoy this stuff. Fox (ugh, I know, but the nephew needs it for the footy) is currently running its Space Month this October and I have been in my glory. I'd definitely recommend a documentary I saw last night called "The Jupiter Enigma". It has some more recent info from Juno.

Can't remember where I heard / read it, but it went to the effect of: Quantum mechanics is only strange to the perspective of a six foot high entity. The intimation was that activities on a biological scale too would similarly seem odd if viewed from a much larger one.
gaffo

Re: You sure, gaffo?

Post by gaffo »

uwot wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:32 pm
gaffo wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:58 amthe yardstick is expanding with the cubic space it is measuring!
ok, point taken............the point?
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

uwot wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:32 pm
as per your inquiry- I value humility, outside of my "feelings" (conscience - of which i'm sure of which side to support), per all others things............

I'm sure of nothin!

so not sure!

and value humility of outlook/mentality
-1-

Post by -1- »

uwot wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:32 pm So how can you tell if anything is expanding?
My pants are getting tighter at the waist.

Quantum space denied, relativity theory debunked, Cartesian coordinate system destroyed, with one simple repeatable observation.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Greta wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:03 am
gaffo wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:45 am
I'm not walker - lol.
Probably for the best. The reply was meant for Walker, whom I'd asked about gravitational lensing, but who returned a lengthy reply without answering the question.
(The following is an opinion, not to be mistaken for a known fact: ) Walker probably took your question as about gravitational cleansing, (we older folks often misread words due to our own personal failing visual faculties) and from there it was just a hop and a skip away from mental flossing, spiritual purifying, and myrrh and frankincense.
uwot

Post by uwot »

-1- wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:41 pmMy pants are getting tighter at the waist.
Have you tried eating and drinking less?
-1- wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:41 pmQuantum space denied, relativity theory debunked, Cartesian coordinate system destroyed, with one simple repeatable observation.
So you're getting lardy. C'mon -1-, ya can't blame physics.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Because they must have been deaf not to have heard it.