What is our universe expanding inside of?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

What is our universe expanding inside of?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

The scientists say the universe has been expanding since the Big Bang. Since our universe is made up of everything (so it's said), then the question arises as to what it's expanding inside of?

Here's another case why I think the multiverse can exist.
Couldn't our universe expand inside of a larger universe?
Otherwise how do you account for our expanding universe? Where is the room for it to expand?

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸
seeds

Re: What is our universe expanding inside of?

Post by seeds »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:58 pm The scientists say the universe has been expanding since the Big Bang. Since our universe is made up of everything (so it's said), then the question arises as to what it's expanding inside of?
To slightly paraphrase something I posted in an alternate thread:
seeds wrote: What I am about to suggest is obviously speculation, however, the unbounded “ARENA” of what seems to be an infinite void of nothingness – as is metaphorically depicted by the blackened area surrounding the bubble of our reality in the image below...

...not only extends omnidirectionally away from our universe, but it also extends omnidirectionally away from any other context of reality imaginable (including those of a transcendent nature).
_______
Therefore, it is “infinite nothingness” into which the universe is expanding.
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:58 pm Here's another case why I think the multiverse can exist.
Otherwise how do you account for our expanding universe? Where is the room for it to expand?
First of all, of course a multiverse can exist.

Secondly, the multiverse concept does not see universes as existing within each other, but as parallel entities.

And lastly, there is absolutely no reason to assume that what is represented by the blackened area surrounding the bubble of reality depicted above would impose any restrictions on the size or perpetual expansion of anything contained within its endless and boundless reaches.
_______
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

There are two definitions of a multiverse:

1. Countless universes existing side by side. This means that our own universe is only a small fraction of "the whole multiverse". In theory you could travel between them, since they don't have barriers. Each universe would probably have its own unique physical constant.

2. Our universe is a multiverse in itself. Frequencies seperate them. They are alike, but small differences makes each one slightly different from the others. The idea is inspired by quantum mechanics, and the question: Where are the particles before the wave collapses? The concept is often used in science fiction.

The concept of a small universe, inside a wormhole, in a larger universe is (as mentioned by the previous poster) not a multiverse. I actually consider the idea that it could exist at all, to be close to absurd. The time it takes to pass through the wormhole is much to short to allow any considerable action or development. And: How would such a mini universe come to exist at all? It would demand it's own physical constant! (Like I said: Absurd!)
bahman

Post by bahman »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:58 pm The scientists say the universe has been expanding since the Big Bang. Since our universe is made up of everything (so it's said), then the question arises as to what it's expanding inside of?

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸
That is a good observation. That however couldn't be a good argument in favor of multiverse since infinity can expand without changing.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

bahman wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:28 pm

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸
That is a good observation. That however couldn't be a good argument in favor of multiverse since infinity can expand without changing.
Are you saying our universe is infinite?

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸
bahman

Post by bahman »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:00 pm
bahman wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:28 pm

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸
Are you saying our universe is infinite?

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸
Our universe or the multiverse should be infinite otherwise it is embedded within something bigger.