Does obsolescence spur scientific advance?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Does obsolescence spur scientific advance?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I believe it does. For example I was told that tvs last for over ten years. If you have no urge to replace the tv, then manufacturers and research scientists will have less incentive to develop better tvs. What if the obsolescence period were five years or fifteen years? What would happen then? How about the auto industry with electric vehicles, autonomous cars and hydrogen cars?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
thedoc

Re: Does obsolescence spur scientific advance?

Post by thedoc »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Wed May 16, 2018 10:50 am I believe it does. For example I was told that tvs last for over ten years. If you have no urge to replace the tv, then manufacturers and research scientists will have less incentive to develop better tvs. What if the obsolescence period were five years or fifteen years? What would happen then? How about the auto industry with electric vehicles, autonomous cars and hydrogen cars?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
I think it's the other way round, new and better technology makes older technology obsolete. That does not mean that older technology suddenly stops working, it's just that the new technology works better or does more. There are some people who prefer the older technology because it is what they are familiar with.
Philosophy Explorer

thedoc wrote: โ†‘Wed May 16, 2018 1:46 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Wed May 16, 2018 10:50 am I believe it does. For example I was told that tvs last for over ten years. If you have no urge to replace the tv, then manufacturers and research scientists will have less incentive to develop better tvs. What if the obsolescence period were five years or fifteen years? What would happen then? How about the auto industry with electric vehicles, autonomous cars and hydrogen cars?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
I think it's the other way round, new and better technology makes older technology obsolete. That does not mean that older technology suddenly stops working, it's just that the new technology works better or does more. There are some people who prefer the older technology because it is what they are familiar with.
To be more precise, sooner or later tvs break down which would need replacement. Some people may grow bored with their devices too. In any case, science researchers are currently trying to improve tv pictures with quantum dot technology.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Last edited by Philosophy Explorer on Thu May 17, 2018 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Necromancer

Post by Necromancer »

I don't think it is so much than for the very curiosity and a kind of preparation by information serendipity!

You feel inspired by something, you get hunches for stuff to investigate and, hurray, you may have found something that you can call science or technology or so!

8)
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Necromancer wrote: โ†‘Wed May 16, 2018 2:40 pm I don't think it is so much than for the very curiosity and a kind of preparation by information serendipity!

You feel inspired by something, you get hunches for stuff to investigate and, hurray, you may have found something that you can call science or technology or so!

8)
PhilX, I see what you mean. Interesting word salad.
Philosophy Explorer

thedoc wrote: โ†‘Thu May 17, 2018 2:21 am
Necromancer wrote: โ†‘Wed May 16, 2018 2:40 pm I don't think it is so much than for the very curiosity and a kind of preparation by information serendipity!

8)
Care for some steak smothered by mushrooms and ketchup?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Thu May 17, 2018 2:46 am
thedoc wrote: โ†‘Thu May 17, 2018 2:21 am

8)
Care for some steak smothered by mushrooms and ketchup?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Make mine rare and hold the ketchup, or at least put it on the side.

My daughter says that I like to chase my steak across the plate to eat it.