Does intelligent alien life exist?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Does intelligent alien life exist?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

If so, where? Every day I see new articles, both pro- and anti-alien.

What do you think about this?

PhilX 🇺🇸
Dubious

Re: Does intelligent alien life exist?

Post by Dubious »

For sure! and they all look the same as us to make it even more confusing! :?
Greta

Post by Greta »

Some possible reasons for the Fermi Paradox:

1. The rare Earth hypothesis - we are the only ones, ever.
2. The Great Filter - we are the only surviving semi-advanced civilisation at present due to inevitable sustainability issues around our point of development.
3. Related to the Great Filter, where advanced species die out but "reproduce" their biosphere through their AI seeding other worlds.
4. We are the first advanced species, but others will come in time.
5. Other advanced species are too far separated by space and time for us for contact.
6. Other advanced civilisations are not interested in contact - bring either too advanced to bother, or perhaps they want to observe without interfering with their observations.
7. Aliens are already here but we haven't noticed them.

Are there any more?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Greta wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:50 am Some possible reasons for the Fermi Paradox:

Are there any more?
The question I've heard most often is "Where are the Aliens?" but more important is "Why would an Alien come here?" Don't they have enough problems of their own?
Atla

Post by Atla »

I think the most probable scenario is that we are the most advanced species in our universe. Because whatever is to happen soon (won't go into those speculations here), seems to be able to happen through one or a few members of our species. So the minimalistic route already seems to lead through us, and therefore it's unnecessary and improbable that another intelligent species has already formed in our universe. (Improbable, not impossible though.)

Too bad, this way there's no outside force to save us from destroying ourselves. :)
Greta

Post by Greta »

thedoc wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:35 pm
Greta wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:50 am Some possible reasons for the Fermi Paradox:

Are there any more?
The question I've heard most often is "Where are the Aliens?" but more important is "Why would an Alien come here?" Don't they have enough problems of their own?
Personally, I think #4, 5 & 6 are most likely.

Imagine if we/our AI found a civilisation akin to ancient Rome on another planet. There is no way they would go barging in because then there would be no way of knowing what the populations would have been like before seeing us - the observations would be tainted. I expect that at least microbial risks would have been solved by then if our tech was so advanced. So, most likely, we'd engage in covert abductions :lol:
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Greta wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:46 am

Are there any more?
Personally, I think #4, 5 & 6 are most likely.

Imagine if we/our AI found a civilisation akin to ancient Rome on another planet. There is no way they would go barging in because then there would be no way of knowing what the populations would have been like before seeing us - the observations would be tainted. I expect that at least microbial risks would have been solved by then if our tech was so advanced. So, most likely, we'd engage in covert abductions :lol:
Sorry if I change the subject slightly, one of the criticisms I have heard about Jesus's coming to Earth was why didn't he tell the people something useful, like that germs cause disease rather than demons, but would the people of the time have understood or just dismissed him as just another crazy with some crazy idea. If you are really good you tailor the message to what the listener can understand.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Atla wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:24 pm Too bad, this way there's no outside force to save us from destroying ourselves. :)
Perhaps it's too late?

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.
People of Earth, your attention, please. This is Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz of the Galactic Hyperspace Planning Council. As you will no doubt be aware, the plans for development of the outlying regions of the Galaxy require the building of a hyperspatial express route through your star system. And regrettably, your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition. The process will take slightly less than two of your Earth minutes. Thank you.
There’s no point in acting surprised about it. All the planning charts and demolition orders have been on display at your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for 50 of your Earth years, so you’ve had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaint and it’s far too late to start making a fuss about it now. ... What do you mean you’ve never been to Alpha Centauri? Oh, for heaven’s sake, mankind, it’s only four light years away, you know. I’m sorry, but if you can’t be bothered to take an interest in local affairs, that’s your own lookout. Energize the demolition beams.
I don't know, apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all.
There was a terrible ghastly silence.
There was a terrible ghastly noise.
Atla

Post by Atla »

thedoc wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:17 am
Atla wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:24 pm Too bad, this way there's no outside force to save us from destroying ourselves. :)
Perhaps it's too late?

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.
People of Earth, your attention, please. This is Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz of the Galactic Hyperspace Planning Council. As you will no doubt be aware, the plans for development of the outlying regions of the Galaxy require the building of a hyperspatial express route through your star system. And regrettably, your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition. The process will take slightly less than two of your Earth minutes. Thank you.
There’s no point in acting surprised about it. All the planning charts and demolition orders have been on display at your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for 50 of your Earth years, so you’ve had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaint and it’s far too late to start making a fuss about it now. ... What do you mean you’ve never been to Alpha Centauri? Oh, for heaven’s sake, mankind, it’s only four light years away, you know. I’m sorry, but if you can’t be bothered to take an interest in local affairs, that’s your own lookout. Energize the demolition beams.
I don't know, apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all.
There was a terrible ghastly noise.
Yeah long ago we came up with the answer of 42 but it was forgotten, so now the Vogons will have to clean up.

Or maybe the aliens are already here, a strong evidence is their weird language.

Physicist Enrico Fermi, said to be a firm believer in the existence of extra-terrestrials, was frustrated by the lack of firm evidence of their existence. Reasoning that advanced civilizations should by now have filled the Galaxy, Fermi came downstairs for lunch one afternoon at Los Alamos and blurted out his now-famous question, "Where are they?"

"They are among us," it is reported that Hungarian-born physicist Leo Szilard responded, "but they call themselves Hungarians."
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Are there any more?
Earth is the cosmic equivalent of Sears. Who would come here?
osgart

Post by osgart »

Perhaps alien life tries to sprout up everywhere, but never anywhere does it happen but here. The universal cogs are broken, no. We are just preposterously fortunate that we transpired, maybe.

How many latent powers does the universe have that will forever go undetected? Probably many unseen, undetectable realities are there. Life is on the eternal fringe of existence and existing.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:09 am If so, where? Every day I see new articles, both pro- and anti-alien.

PhilX 🇺🇸
of course. universe is too big not to.

where?

out there of course.

"We" assume they would contact us if the existed.

a flawed assumption.

if we offer them nothing why would they bother to contect anyone else (incudling us)?

BTW the fastest and most efficent way to colonize is via "Radio" tranmisson of DNA (or whatever the alien equivalent is)...................

just transmit DNA code "out there" assuming there are fools to receive and decode to recreate the being on the other end (only an advanced civilization can do so) and when that ciz does you have "lightspeed travel" - and remade alien on the other end with little/no effort by the transmitting power.

a smart alien would make it means of colonization, by embeding latent "DNA" (i.e. the real DNA).................in otherwords set it up so that the first being would only show "Fake" alien nature (peaceful nature)..............then say in 1000 generations the "time-clock" of the real latent code - the real Alein code - would show itself........by which time there might be enough of the first form aliens remade/reproduced sexually - to be in large enough numbers to take over the recieving planets beings/civilization when the ture nature of the agressive alien beings showed themselves from the hidden DNA codex.

a nice way to populate the galaxy without use of much work, and also take out any competition to boot!
Beauty

Post by Beauty »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:09 am If so, where? Every day I see new articles, both pro- and anti-alien.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Intelligent alien life exists. One we cannot understand. Computers and the internet and the web.