What is gravity?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

gaffo

Re: What is gravity?

Post by gaffo »

RCSaunders wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:19 pm
commonsense wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:24 pm Gravity is the force generated by the electromagnetic attraction between objects.
You are joking aren't you?

Gravity and magnetism are totally different phenomena. All mass is accelerated toward other masses and the rate of acceleration is always directly proportional to the mass and inversely proportional to the distance. That acceleration is described as a force of attraction. Gravity has no poles.

Magnetic force is totally independent of mass (except for the mass of the electrons involved) and there is no relationship between mass and the force which may either attract or repel. Ferromagnetic materials are attracted to a magnetic field, diamagnetic material is repelled by a magnetic field, and for all magnetic fields, like poles always repel.

There is no gravitation repulsion, and no magnetic attraction between most physical bodies.
yep.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

gaffo wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:27 am
RCSaunders wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:30 am
seeds wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:37 pm ... gravity?
Gravity is not a thing or even an attribute. It is only an observed phenomena of entities which have momentum. All such entities accelerate towards each other, and that phenomenon is called gravity. If you are going to ask, what is gravity, you have to ask what is mometum--why do bodies remain in motion (at the same speed and direction) unless accelerated? And, since no entity is totally isolated, all entities are constantly accelerated.
Gravity is a Force, and it it depends upon MASS, not momentum.
Of course, but you cannot actually measure mass. You can measure acceleration and mass is described in terms of that. I used momentum because only that which can have momentum is mass. I have no idea why physics has dropped the fact that momentum is defined as mass times velocity, the fact a mass must be accelerated to have a velocity has simply been dropped. It is a mistake.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

gaffo wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:15 am
Impenitent wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:47 pm
uwot wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:33 pm Impenitent, what the fuck are you doing asking serious questions all of a sudden? Meh. In order:

Well the honest answer is I don't know, having only ever been on one planet, but I would be surprised if a few million miles made a huge difference to the laws of physics. The assumption is that the rules are universal, so it is simply a matter that the more massive the planet, the close the magnet has to be to win.
Could, for example, aluminium be magnetic on Mars? Well never say never, but never.

That's the test isn't it? Good question. I don't know the answer, but I really think if it were shown that magnets do weird shit in outer space we would have heard about it.
thanks, the conversation just struck me so I asked ...

I thought that the gravitational pull from larger planets was greater than that on Earth so I thought magnetism on the larger planets may differ accordingly...
um no. there is the Electromagnetic Force, Gravity, the Weak Force, and the Strong Force (the last two are related to the atomic nucliuos and radioactive decay. - when the weak force is not longer able to counteract the strong force, we have fission/radioactive elements - and why all elements after/from Bismuth - now we now Bismuth is a radioactive element - though half live is 1-percent of the universe's age), and why all heavier elements are not able to keep there nuclous - shit together, and eventually fly apart.

- this may in fact apply to the proton itself - to date we still do not know - 40 yrs now and counting - if so (proton decays - to someting/and a photon) - then all mater is radioactive and will eventually decay into energy.

though we are talking in timelines much longer than the lifetime to date of the universe.

Impenitent wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:47 pm if magnetism on the larger planet is different, perhaps a denser or "heavier" metal would be more magnetic...
Magnetism is a property of an element - not the mass of .

so say Lead, a heavy element is not magnetic - be it here on Earth or on Mars or on Jupter or in space.

Iron, a middle weight element is magnetic - be it here on Earth or on mars etc.........

Aluminum/Magnesium are light weight and are not magnetic -be they on earth mars........etc.........

all about the element in question - not were that brick of iron is in the universe.

Impenitent wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:47 pm perhaps if the magnet was far enough away from a gravitational source it would do weird stuff...
nope. EM force is a force outside and unrelated to gravity or position in space.

non-secquture.

Impenitent wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:47 pm a compass on the moon doesn't point north does it?
nope, the compass will not point north because the moon has not magnetic field.
Impenitent wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:47 pm (then again, north on the moon is different than north on the Earth isn't it?)
um, nope, "north is north" - be it on the moon earth or mars or where-ever.
thanks for the responses- north is north if it is the top of the spinning generic globe...

-Imp
seeds

Post by seeds »

_______

Please forgive me for this shameless thread bump, but I just felt that this recent post to Will Bouwman (aka "uwot") in an alternate thread might fit well in my old "What is gravity" thread.
seeds wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:58 pm
Will Bouwman wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:41 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:51 pmThe first three are empirical...
Well yeah, but there are differences:
1. Do bricks fall down wells?
Yes they do; it's a bare fact.
Are you sure about that?

Isn't that one of those "relativity" issues?

I mean, when viewing the earth from this higher perspective,...

...if a well is situated on the top of the sphere, then yes, bricks appear to be falling downward.

However, if a well is situated on the bottom of the sphere, then bricks are literally being drawn (pulled) upward...

...(or sideways if wells are on the sides of the sphere).

Sorry if this is taking the conversation off on a tangent, but I've always wanted to do a video where I am simultaneously dropping a bowling ball and a ping-pong ball to show how they both hit the floor at the same time, except, in this case, the video image would be upside-down.

And the point is that the upside-down video would make it seem as though gravity was "lifting" the bowling ball and the ping-pong ball from my hands and pulling them to the "ceiling"...

...(which is pretty much the truth of what is actually taking place everywhere on the planet when the experiment is viewed from the outer space perspective).

And that (to me, anyway) would seem to give a better visual demonstration of how gravity really works (as opposed to the "falling" scenario).

What I am attempting to demonstrate with the upside-down video is that because the inertial mass of the bowling ball (i.e., its resistance to movement) is much greater than the inertial mass of the ping-pong ball, it is therefore more difficult for gravity to "lift" the bowling ball than it is to "lift" the lesser mass of the ping-pong ball.

However, it is because the ping-pong ball has less mass, then there is less substance for gravity to grab hold of, so to speak, compared to the greater amount of substance comprising the bowling ball.

And that, in turn, creates a situation where gravity (in some converse/inverse, yet equalizing way) has just as hard a time in moving the ping-pong ball through space as it does in moving the more massive bowling ball.

All of which the wizards of math and physics have sorted out and provided us with proven mathematical principles for why the movement of the b-ball and the pp-ball balance out and thus hit the "ceiling" at the same time.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that your assertion that it's a "bare fact" that bricks "fall" down wells might need a second look.
_______
_______

Post by Age »

seeds wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:42 pm _______

Please forgive me for this shameless thread bump, but I just felt that this recent post to Will Bouwman (aka "uwot") in an alternate thread might fit well in my old "What is gravity" thread.
seeds wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:58 pm
Will Bouwman wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:41 am Well yeah, but there are differences:
1. Do bricks fall down wells?
Yes they do; it's a bare fact.
Are you sure about that?

Isn't that one of those "relativity" issues?

I mean, when viewing the earth from this higher perspective,...

...if a well is situated on the top of the sphere, then yes, bricks appear to be falling downward.

However, if a well is situated on the bottom of the sphere, then bricks are literally being drawn (pulled) upward...

...(or sideways if wells are on the sides of the sphere).

Sorry if this is taking the conversation off on a tangent, but I've always wanted to do a video where I am simultaneously dropping a bowling ball and a ping-pong ball to show how they both hit the floor at the same time, except, in this case, the video image would be upside-down.

And the point is that the upside-down video would make it seem as though gravity was "lifting" the bowling ball and the ping-pong ball from my hands and pulling them to the "ceiling"...

...(which is pretty much the truth of what is actually taking place everywhere on the planet when the experiment is viewed from the outer space perspective).

And that (to me, anyway) would seem to give a better visual demonstration of how gravity really works (as opposed to the "falling" scenario).

What I am attempting to demonstrate with the upside-down video is that because the inertial mass of the bowling ball (i.e., its resistance to movement) is much greater than the inertial mass of the ping-pong ball, it is therefore more difficult for gravity to "lift" the bowling ball than it is to "lift" the lesser mass of the ping-pong ball.

However, it is because the ping-pong ball has less mass, then there is less substance for gravity to grab hold of, so to speak, compared to the greater amount of substance comprising the bowling ball.

And that, in turn, creates a situation where gravity (in some converse/inverse, yet equalizing way) has just as hard a time in moving the ping-pong ball through space as it does in moving the more massive bowling ball.

All of which the wizards of math and physics have sorted out and provided us with proven mathematical principles for why the movement of the b-ball and the pp-ball balance out and thus hit the "ceiling" at the same time.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that your assertion that it's a "bare fact" that bricks "fall" down wells might need a second look.
_______
_______
I have ALREADY responded to this post and have ALREADY PARTLY HIGHLIGHTED and SHOWN WHERE, HOW, and WHY parts are False, Wrong, and/or Incorrect in this post of 'yours', "seeds".
chowkit74

Post by chowkit74 »

The Creation Of Atoms And Molecules

1. Firstly, atoms and molecules are formed by crystallising low-frequency energy waves. As shown, atom A would be formed in the beginning, followed by atom B, atom C, and atom D. The interactive waves of energy produced a clockwise rotational force between the space of atom A and atom B. At the same time, atom A and atom B turn in the respective counter-clockwise direction.

2. When atom C is formed, it would be attracted to adjoining atoms, say, atom B. This is mainly due to the prevalence of differential pressure in the surrounding area and a strong bond would then form, just like the pair of rubber cymbals kissing. From there, a new molecule is formed, say, the B-C molecule. Similarly, the attraction between atom A and atom D would produce the A-D molecule.

3. At the same time, the B-C molecule and the A-D molecule would be drawn together according to Bernoulli’s principle, that is, when the velocity of the substance around the objects rises, the pressure decreases. Afterward, the molecules would travel towards each other in accelerated motion, and it is a mark of gravitational force.

4. Finally, the respective atoms in the molecules would cease auto-rotation and begin to vibrate in the form of standing waves. Later, the newly bonded molecules would assume a counter-clockwise rotation that is coupled with disturbances in the curvature of spacetime. A new spiral-shaped gravitational wave would appear in a diffusing pattern as a result of natural aerodynamic flows. Let's see the illustration below: -

How Does Gravity Work?

1. Gravity would appear parallel to the presence of atoms. This means that it is directly influenced by the mass of atoms or molecules in an object, that is, the amount of matter in an object, rather than the size of the volume. In other words, an increase in the mass density of atoms would cause greater gravitational forces between objects and vice versa.

2. At the same time, the rotation of an object does not affect its gravitational force. However, in terms of surface gravity, it has a slight influence by which when the centrifugal force increases the surface gravity would decrease slightly. For example, the rotation of the Earth leads to a slight bulge at the equator and a slight flattening at the poles.

3. Meanwhile, it is imperative to note that all objects have a force that draws them toward one another. This means that even we attract other objects because of gravity, but our mass is too insignificant for the force to be effective. Generally, weight is a force caused by gravitational attraction. The more mass the object has, the greater its weight will be.

4. Also, the mass of an object stays the same wherever it is, but its weight can vary depending on the variation of the gravitational force on it. Moreover, an object with a higher mass would induce a stronger pushing force toward the other side of another object with a lower mass. As a result, the gravitational force increases when the masses of objects are greater; instead of the size of the volume.

5. For easy reference, the gravitational forces between atoms are akin to voltage in an electrical circuit. When the batteries are connected in series, the total amount of voltage in the circuitry would be reflected by the total sum of the capacity of each battery. Supposedly, one battery would supply approximately 1.5 V and both batteries would supply approximately 3.0 V respectively.

6. In other words, greater mass would provide greater gravitational strength. It is similar to a greater number of gravity-carrying bands turning simultaneously between atoms. Just as a series of turbine motors operate simultaneously to generate a higher voltage which, in turn, results in a higher electromotive force in an electric circuit.

7. The gravitational forces would occur as the gravity conveyor belts began to rotate clockwise and counter-clockwise, respectively, in the presence of atoms or molecules. As objects get closer together, gravitational forces would increase. This conforms to Bernoulli’s principle which dictates when the speed of the substance increases, the pressure decreases.

8. The applicable principle: a smaller space between the atoms of the objects in contact would encourage the conveyor belts of gravity to turn at a higher rate, thereby generating a much lower pressure in the surroundings. Subsequently, the atoms between the confronting objects would be pushed toward one another at a more intense accelerating speed.

9. Finally, the more mass an object has, the more inertia it has. Inertia is defined as an object’s tendency to resist a change in its state of motion. As a rule, translational momentum depends only on the mass and velocity of the object. A larger mass would take an extended force to bring the object to the targeted speed and likewise, to bring it to a stop thereafter.

10. Supposedly, object A is the Earth, object B is the rock, and object C is the feather. As these three objects approach each other, the Earth with a much higher mass density would certainly inherit much more inertia, namely a resistance to change in its state of motion. This is despite the fact that these three objects are pushing together at the same time.

11. At the end of the day, the effective force would be the objects with lesser masses (object B and object C) moving towards the object with higher masses (object A) at the same accelerating motions. For example, a small dust particle would move towards the human body that encompasses a relatively higher mass and with greater inertia rather than the contrary.
Last edited by chowkit74 on Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
chowkit74

Post by chowkit74 »

How Does Gravitational Lensing Work?

1. Spacetime fabric is full of energy vessels, as are blood vessels in our tissues and organs. Basically, we could describe these energy vessels as the arteries and veins of the cosmos in a nested structure of the corrugated pattern. Gravitational force occurs when the gravity conveyor belts start to rotate clockwise and counter-clockwise in relation to the spawning of atoms or molecules. These gravity conveyor belts are in fact the rotating motion of the energies which make up the integration of the arteries and veins of the cosmos. Watch the illustration below: -

2. Meanwhile, the best-known black holes are created when a massive star reaches the end of its life and implodes, collapsing on itself. It created a variation in the velocity of energies between the arteries and veins of the cosmos. The energies in the cosmos’ arteries would travel in accelerating motions, while the energies in the cosmos’ veins would travel in decelerating motions. This scenario conforms to the orientation of spiral gravitational waves that would appear in a diffusing model due to natural aerodynamic streams.

3. To illustrate the circumstances of a black hole, we could think about the elastic limit of the spring, as described in Hooke’s law. The metal of the spring has an elastic property only up to the particular stress known as the point of elasticity. Elastic means that the metal can deviate, but once the force of deviation is removed, it will return to its original form. However, if the deflection force is greater than the point of elasticity, the stress would result in permanent deformation of the spring. Let’s see the illustration below: -

4. As a result, the fabric of the energies would distort towards the outer direction of the centre of the black hole. Also, the variation in the velocity of energies between the arteries and veins of the cosmos is inversely proportional to the circumference of the black hole. Ultimately, the colossal mass of the black hole would be compressed inwards before crumbling to a singularity. And this is the precise moment when anything that falls into the black hole would be inescapable. Here is the illustration below: -

5. When a beam of light moves through the veins of the cosmos towards a black hole and very close to the event horizon, its velocity would decelerate correspondingly. As a result, the respective beams of light curved and moved at an angle toward the end of slower velocity, creating an optical phenomenon known as a mirage. Just like navigation on a stationary two-wheeled board, that is, when the left wheel turns at a slower rate than the right wheel, the machine moves forward and proportionately curves to the left. Let’s review the following illustrations: -

6. Meanwhile, rigorous gravitational forces would induce a new phenomenon known as time dilation. With a faster inertia system, the rate of change would slow down because of the high frequency of occurrences near the black hole. For instance, if you were to cross the horizon of events, you would look frozen, as your friend saw and it’s just an optic illusion that reminds your friend that you never cross the horizon when in fact you did. The relationship between the expansion of time and the distance to the event horizon of a black hole is illustrated below: -

7. From the above analysis, we could conclude that gravity is an emergent force resulting from the main streams of energy in the arteries and veins of the cosmos. Besides, the gravitational force is inversely proportional to the velocity of the photon. This means that in the case of gravitational lensing, the velocity of a photon (light) is the determinant rather than the mass of a photon. In other words, when the photon approaches a black hole with strong gravitational forces, its speed would be reduced considerably.

Post by Age »

'Gravity' is just simply the word used to describe the phenomena of when matter is attracted to itself.

And, the more compressed an object of matter is, or the more dense matter is, then the more attraction 'that matter' or 'object' creates.

But, the reason ALL matter is not together, as one, is just because of 'magnetism'.