Dark matter

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Dark matter

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Does it exist? To what extent? And what is it composed of? (on that last question, it's been proposed they are made up of WIMPs and or neutrinos).

Any thoughts?

PhilX 🇺🇸
gaffo

Re: Dark matter

Post by gaffo »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:59 pm Does it exist? To what extent? And what is it composed of? (on that last question, it's been proposed they are made up of WIMPs and or neutrinos).

Any thoughts?

PhilX 🇺🇸
30 yrs ago we noted that "what we observed" did not fit our understanding of gravity. (i.e. stars in the spiral arms of galaxies were revolving around galatic cores too fast). in otherwords gravity in and of itself does not allow galaxies to exist.

so we "made up" (yes I think DM is bunk) to "Fix" our problem.

so date all experiments to prove WIMPS exist have failed (Xenon tanks show no WIMPS) - yet physicists still cling to Dark Matter as real.

go figure.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:59 pm Does it exist? To what extent? And what is it composed of? (on that last question, it's been proposed they are made up of WIMPs and or neutrinos).

Any thoughts?

PhilX 🇺🇸
DM is claimed/thorized/etc......... to be made of "stuff" - not matter, does not react to matter at all, just has mass and so gravitational influence with matter.

so the the claim concerning the nature of this imaginary "Stuff".
Greta

Post by Greta »

Seemingly we either have WIMPs or MOND. So far the evidence is thought to be more towards WIMPs but that may yet change.
Atla

Post by Atla »

One possibility (it's a very ad hoc, probably wrong speculation) is that our universe might consist of several realms (my guess is 6 realms, or perhaps it's 2 realms) that run parallel to each other, and at the level of apparent spacetime, the realms only effect each other through gravity (and maybe antigravity/dark energy if there's such a thing). But the realms are joined on the quantum "level" as one.
Some argue that parallel realms might be the reason why gravity is so weak compared to the other forces. (They usually call these parallel realms parallel universes though, I'd avoid that, in order to not confuse it with the more mainstream forms of multiverse ideas.)

I guess half of these realms would be dominated by matter and the other half by antimatter, solving other major problems as well. In this case however we could never directly observe dark matter; we could only map its distribution inside the other realm(s) through its gravitational effect on our realm.
Beauty

Post by Beauty »

I don't know about dark matter but dark certainly is there and is something and is more original to light because light is not first but dark is first. Bringing light, it disappears, only to appear again as light disappears.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Atla wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:27 am One possibility (it's a very ad hoc, probably wrong speculation) is that our universe might consist of several realms (my guess is 6 realms, or perhaps it's 2 realms) that run parallel to each other, and at the level of apparent spacetime, the realms only effect each other through gravity (and maybe antigravity/dark energy if there's such a thing). But the realms are joined on the quantum "level" as one.
Some argue that parallel realms might be the reason why gravity is so weak compared to the other forces. (They usually call these parallel realms parallel universes though, I'd avoid that, in order to not confuse it with the more mainstream forms of multiverse ideas.)

I guess half of these realms would be dominated by matter and the other half by antimatter, solving other major problems as well. In this case however we could never directly observe dark matter; we could only map its distribution inside the other realm(s) through its gravitational effect on our realm.
Update on my insane speculation. If our universe consists of 6 parallel realms, 3-3 of which are largely, but not perfectly, aligned with each other (and the two trios largely complementing each other), then we might sometimes find small galaxies that aren't aligned with two other counterpart masses. Like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eS4fz2IoaE

(or maybe the solution is just some WIMPs after all.. hehe)
Cerveny

Post by Cerveny »

I believe that gravitational law (GTR) and model of physical space/matter are wrong. Gravitational force simply affect on physical space too. It is probably a reason why physical space keeps together. We can eg see galaxy as certain whirl of viscose blend of space/matter “toward to Future”... Physical space is “dragged” by the matter. Obvious viscosity signifies that space is not “empty” and there even exist shared/common/adhesive parts in the physical space and matter. In another thread I guess that the matter/elementary particles must be structural defects of/in physical space (in its regular discrete structure)...
socrat44

Post by socrat44 »

Dark Matter = Quantum Cosmology = Gravity
===
1- Dark matter doesn't emit or absorb light.
2 - Dark matter works only via gravity
3 - Dark matter is extremely cold
4 - Dark matter is extremely weak (the weakest stuff)
5 - Dark matter doesn't carry electric charge
6 - Dark matter is passive / neutral stuff
7 - Dark matter consists of (unknown) elementary particles
8 -  Dark matter is much more than ordinary matter
9 - Dark matter must have some interaction with ordinary matter
10 -  Dark matter can have non-gravitational interactions
11 -  Dark matter must have own sector of existence
#
Scientists still search a real / potential candidate for dark matter
===
socrat44

Post by socrat44 »

socrat44 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:54 am   Dark Matter = Quantum Cosmology = Gravity
===
#
===
Ordinary matter interacts through the electromagnetic,
weak and strong forces -- helping the visual matter
of our world to form complex systems
Stars, rocks, oceans, plants and animals owe their
very existence to the unity of the non-gravitational
(EM, weak, strong) forces with ordinary matter.
Familiar picture can be thought of interaction
between antiparticles (antimatter) and dark matter
Antiparticles (as EM forces) 10^36 times stronger
than weak particles of dark matter and therefore
can involve it in a process of ''quantum gravity'',
the earliest state of creation our material World.
=====
EM.jpg
EM.jpg (10.09 KiB) Viewed 4423 times
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

socrat44 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:59 pm
socrat44 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:54 am   Dark Matter = Quantum Cosmology = Gravity
===
#
===
Ordinary matter interacts through the electromagnetic,
weak and strong forces -- helping the visual matter
of our world to form complex systems
Stars, rocks, oceans, plants and animals owe their
very existence to the unity of the non-gravitational
(EM, weak, strong) forces with ordinary matter.
Familiar picture can be thought of interaction
between antiparticles (antimatter) and dark matter
Antiparticles (as EM forces) 10^36 times stronger
than weak particles of dark matter and therefore
can involve it in a process of ''quantum gravity'',
the earliest state of creation our material World.
=====
EM.jpg
unless you have found a unified field theory, there is not such thing as "quantum gravity"
Cerveny

Post by Cerveny »

Cerveny wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:51 pm I believe that gravitational law (GTR) and its model of physical space/matter are wrong. Gravitational force affect on physical space too. It is probably a reason why physical space keeps together. We can eg see galaxy as certain whirl of viscose blend of space and matter growing “toward to Future”... Physical space (aether) is “dragged” by the matter. Obvious viscosity signifies that space is not “empty” and there even exist shared/common/adhesive parts in the physical space and matter. In another thread I guess that the matter/elementary particles must be structural defects of/in physical space (in its regular discrete structure)...
https://www.resonancescience.org/blog/m ... n-expected
Last edited by Cerveny on Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cerveny

Post by Cerveny »

There can be no greater indictment of modern physics than its failure to describe the motion of the stars in the galaxy. Fortunately, we "understand" the mechanism of life of "black holes" (irony)