What holds the nucleus of an atom together?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5621
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: What holds the nucleus of an atom together?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:32 pm

thedoc wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:56 pm
Dontaskme wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:08 am

Ever listened to children under 6 discussing life...?
.
Some of the best conversations I ever had, especially if you let the child steer the conversation and don't try to dominate because you are older.
Hi doc,

You should let dam be. You might have her splitting her nail to go with her cracked mind.

PhilX πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

User avatar
Dontaskme
Posts: 8380
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: What holds the nucleus of an atom together?

Post by Dontaskme » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:17 pm

Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:32 pm

You should let dam be. You might have her splitting her nail to go with her cracked mind.

There's only consciousness, it's not a thing, it is everything.

It knows how to be. It knows what to do. It is the being and doing.

.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5621
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: What holds the nucleus of an atom together?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:51 pm

Dontaskme wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:17 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:32 pm

You should let dam be. You might have her splitting her nail to go with her cracked mind.

There's only consciousness, it's not a thing, it is everything.

It knows how to be. It knows what to do. It is the being and doing.

.
Unproven theory. No evidence for this.

PhilX πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

thedoc
Posts: 6473
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: What holds the nucleus of an atom together?

Post by thedoc » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:17 am

Dontaskme wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:17 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:32 pm

You should let dam be. You might have her splitting her nail to go with her cracked mind.
There's only consciousness, it's not a thing, it is everything.

It knows how to be. It knows what to do. It is the being and doing.
PE. Yes, I know, but sometimes you just can't resist poking the idiot with a stick, It's fun to watch them dance.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5621
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: What holds the nucleus of an atom together?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:07 am

thedoc wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:17 am
Dontaskme wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:17 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:32 pm

You should let dam be. You might have her splitting her nail to go with her cracked mind.
There's only consciousness, it's not a thing, it is everything.

It knows how to be. It knows what to do. It is the being and doing.
PE. Yes, I know, but sometimes you just can't resist poking the idiot with a stick, It's fun to watch them dance.
I think dam's problem isn't what she's posting, rather it's where she's posting. Her posts are far more suitable for the metaphysics section because what she's posting isn't related nor supported by science.

PhilX πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

User avatar
Dontaskme
Posts: 8380
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: What holds the nucleus of an atom together?

Post by Dontaskme » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:25 pm

Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:07 am

I think dam's problem isn't what she's posting, rather it's where she's posting. Her posts are far more suitable for the metaphysics section because what she's posting isn't related nor supported by science.

PhilX πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
Yes it is supported by science. It's just that not many people are brave enough to put it into words except me because I don't give a toss
how I'm perceived by others...I'm okay with people thinking I'm a crackpot, because I've done all the hard work that has brought me to true knowledge, I've endured the darkness, I've overcome it completely, so when people call me out for being a nutter, I'm over it already, I've already found truth, Jesus wasn't lying when he said I am the way the light and the truth and who ever shall live in me will be free.

Jesus being the metaphor for truth and light, aka consciousness one without a second.

To deny your own truth is what brainwashed people say for fearing what other people think of them, they fear not fitting in...but I'm not like, and never have been, I'm sure you can already guess that...because I follow the truth path, which Jesus talked about...and so I'm not afraid to think outside the box or put my truth thinking into words on a forum.

.

Have you ever seen the nucleus of an atom? ..or are you just talking about what you believe to be there, so I have a right to be here on this thread.

.

In fact here are some more ideas about gravity which doesn't actually exist, it's just an illusory effect of other forces...that I had stored away in my notes...

Electricity is not the ''travel'' of charges.Any electrical generator simply dams up the flow of gravity. Upon release the pressure of space then accelerates the fluid of free electrons into a wave = motion = electricity.

When the flow of gravity is dammed up, it forms a spherical pressure in space. Electricity is the force of the wave.

Space is a matrix of quantum mass particles sourced and emitted from the sun. The pressure of all backed up gravity is the origin of all electrical currents.

Einstein didn't quite connect the dots between Gravity and Electricity.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5621
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: What holds the nucleus of an atom together?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:53 pm

Dontaskme wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:25 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:07 am

I think dam's problem isn't what she's posting, rather it's where she's posting. Her posts are far more suitable for the metaphysics section because what she's posting isn't related nor supported by science.

PhilX πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
Yes it is supported by science. It's just that not many people are brave enough to put it into words except me because I don't give a toss
how I'm perceived by others...I'm okay with people thinking I'm a crackpot, because I've done all the hard work that has brought me to true knowledge, I've endured the darkness, I've overcome it completely, so when people call me out for being a nutter, I'm over it already, I've already found truth, Jesus wasn't lying when he said I am the way the light and the truth and who ever shall live in me will be free.

Jesus being the metaphor for truth and light, aka consciousness one without a second.

To deny your own truth is what brainwashed people say for fearing what other people think of them, they fear not fitting in...but I'm not like, and never have been, I'm sure you can already guess that...because I follow the truth path, which Jesus talked about...and so I'm not afraid to think outside the box or put my truth thinking into words on a forum.

.

Have you ever seen the nucleus of an atom? ..or are you just talking about what you believe to be there, so I have a right to be here on this thread.

.

In fact here are some more ideas about gravity which doesn't actually exist, it's just an illusory effect of other forces...that I had stored away in my notes...

Electricity is not the ''travel'' of charges.Any electrical generator simply dams up the flow of gravity. Upon release the pressure of space then accelerates the fluid of free electrons into a wave = motion = electricity.

When the flow of gravity is dammed up, it forms a spherical pressure in space. Electricity is the force of the wave.

Space is a matrix of quantum mass particles sourced and emitted from the sun. The pressure of all backed up gravity is the origin of all electrical currents.

Einstein didn't quite connect the dots between Gravity and Electricity.
Proof? What is your supporting evidence besides what you let slide out of your mouth?

One more thing dam. Since you're not doing science, then I'm under no obligation to respond to you any further on this thread. If you were to post in the metaphysics category, me and others would respond to you further over there.

PhilX πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

User avatar
Dontaskme
Posts: 8380
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: What holds the nucleus of an atom together?

Post by Dontaskme » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:53 am

Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:53 pm

Proof? What is your supporting evidence besides what you let slide out of your mouth?

One more thing dam. Since you're not doing science, then I'm under no obligation to respond to you any further on this thread. If you were to post in the metaphysics category, me and others would respond to you further over there.

PhilX πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
Okay..but remember, all the answers to questions are already contained in the question...if a question can arise, then so too must the answer..this is because life does not question itself, a question can only arise to the sense of a separate self that want's to know. The universe is not known to itself through any other mechanism, except through the body mind that wants to know itself. The answers are there in the mind inseparable from the questions.

The universe became a live living thing from that yearning to know how premise. The truth is, there is no answer to how's...only more questions and there's your answer.

.

The universe will never give up it's secrets for one very good reason...you are the secret. You are the mystery, and that's a very good thing, else nothing would be magical anymore.

It would be just plain dull and void.

.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5621
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: What holds the nucleus of an atom together?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:05 pm

Dontaskme wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:53 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:53 pm

Proof? What is your supporting evidence besides what you let slide out of your mouth?

One more thing dam. Since you're not doing science, then I'm under no obligation to respond to you any further on this thread. If you were to post in the metaphysics category, me and others would respond to you further over there.

PhilX πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
Okay..but remember, all the answers to questions are already contained in the question...if a question can arise, then so too must the answer..this is because life does not question itself, a question can only arise to the sense of a separate self that want's to know. The universe is not known to itself through any other mechanism, except through the body mind that wants to know itself. The answers are there in the mind inseparable from the questions.

The universe became a live living thing from that yearning to know how premise. The truth is, there is no answer to how's...only more questions and there's your answer.

.

The universe will never give up it's secrets for one very good reason...you are the secret. You are the mystery, and that's a very good thing, else nothing would be magical anymore.

It would be just plain dull and void.

.
More babble and nonsense from you. Irrelevant to science and this thread. More fantasy - you like to hear yourself talk without saying anything meaningful. What you've just posted is dull and void. You should post to the mind section.

PhilX πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

gaffo
Posts: 3239
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: What holds the nucleus of an atom together?

Post by gaffo » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:59 am

Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:16 pm
So what keeps them together?
the Strong Force..............and the Weak Force too.

gaffo
Posts: 3239
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: What holds the nucleus of an atom together?

Post by gaffo » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:04 am

Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:59 pm
thedoc wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:25 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:04 pm


Do you feel that the strong and weak nuclear forces just so happened to have the range of the nucleus or is there something more to it? It's the strong nuclear force that keeps the matter in the universe stable (while the weak force is responsible for radioactivity). So due to this stability, I would say we live in a lucky universe. If you don't think so for whatever reasons, I would suggest you find a parallel universe to move to.

PhilX πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
It is possible that there have been many universes before this one, each with a slightly different physics. It is just coincidence that we happen to exist in this one, if you are trying to use this coincidence to make a case for God, you will need to try something else. Chance does not equate to God.
I remain agnostic about God. I find it curious that two forces only exist within the nucleus in this universe or, at least, come into existence when atoms are formed.

PhilX πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
agnostism is good if for honest reasons.

what we know about physics is much less that what there is to know.

which does not prove or disprove any assertions of existance of god/s.

unless you are champions positions from ignorance.

gaffo
Posts: 3239
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: What holds the nucleus of an atom together?

Post by gaffo » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:11 am

Greta wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:59 am
I've been wondering about how things happen at different scales.

One thing is for sure, super dense objects tend to attract things, including each other, and nothing is more dense than a quark than (theoretically) a singularity. Yet the SNF is different to gravity - the former extends at the same strength over a specific short distance and then stops while gravity's effects become progressively weaker with a fuzzy boundary to its effects. If gravity applies at quantum scales it's dwarfed by the SNF (as is EM).
clearly gravity strumps Strong force - prob even quarks (when one travels into a singularity and returns to let us know of so - then we will know of that particular).

IMO i think gravity strumps quantum mechanics/physics too (all to many have a love affear with QM today as some sort of "Answer" greater than Neutonion/Einseinian understanding.

all are only a small part of "Reality"....................none offer 1-percent of what actually "is".

imo of course.

gaffo
Posts: 3239
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: What holds the nucleus of an atom together?

Post by gaffo » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:22 am

Dontaskme wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:17 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:16 pm
The nucleus of all atoms are positively charged (due to the protons). The protons should be repelling each other and the nucleus should be flying apart (apart from the hydrogen atom). But they don't. So what keeps them together? What is going on inside the nucleus?

You don't need a deep knowledge of physics to answer this question. Many people take the atom for granted. A little investigating may open you eyes and help you to understand our universe better.

PhilX πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
Until we understand the quantum nature of reality,
I just do not understand our love for QM (maybe "why it there love for QM today" would be a good thread to start?) today.

QM dates to 80 yrs ago.

Relativity to 20 yrs prior.

both answer part of the picture. the former on small scales the latter on large.

why the love affair for the the former and no love for the later today - though both clearly lack an answer to "things". who knows, would love an understanding here from others on this forum.

QM is as limited as Relativity and does not answer the nature of any Singularity - let alone many other matter (like the nature of the primordial big bang).

QM is fine within its limits(the small), but all to many today seem to think it offers more than it actually can!

2 cents.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5621
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: What holds the nucleus of an atom together?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:27 am

gaffo wrote: ↑
Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:59 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:16 pm
So what keeps them together?
the Strong Force..............and the Weak Force too.
The Weak Force is a factor in radioactivity, but not as nuclear glue.

PhilX πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

gaffo
Posts: 3239
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: What holds the nucleus of an atom together?

Post by gaffo » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:30 am

Dontaskme wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:33 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:54 pm
Dam said:

"The force holding is actually repelling at the same time...equal and opposite re-actions."

I disagree. Where have you read this? Or is this just your idea?

PhilX πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
I was just saying how atoms behave like magnets.
electromatic force - one of the "4" is not relavent to the Strong/weak........which atoms are governed by.

and of course Gravity - which is the outlier of the 4...............the redheaded stepchild of physicists - which they would love to remove from our reality if they could.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests