What holds the nucleus of an atom together?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

gaffo

Re: What holds the nucleus of an atom together?

Post by gaffo »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:27 am
gaffo wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:59 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:16 pm So what keeps them together?
the Strong Force..............and the Weak Force too.
The Weak Force is a factor in radioactivity, but not as nuclear glue.

PhilX 🇺🇸
maybe. not a physicist, but know about the "island of stability" (how atoms behave if we could make "Super heavy" ones - 120+ on the chart - some russian falla theorized about them - those uber heavy atoms (which we lack the means to make today) would be held together by the weak force)).

per my understanding here. its been yrs ago since i read/heard of this particular - its not well known today - but ya, Weak force is noted for radioactivity conventionally.

thanks for reply.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:01 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:39 am
Since this thread is about the nucleus, then what you're talking about (electromagnetism) doesn't relate as that type of force isn't a nuclear force.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Okay, so what holds the nucleus of an atom together is pressure.
strong force does so
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:25 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:03 am
Dontaskme wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:01 am

Okay, so what holds the nucleus of an atom together is pressure.
Pressure from what?

PhilX 🇺🇸
Consciousness...aka space.

per 1998 - when we were all so sure that there was no such thing as Dark Energy - .........maybe (i guess - being charitable toward you/your post).

now with finding our obervations are counter to our assumptions (20 yr ago) - we know know that "space" has a repealing nature.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

thedoc wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:15 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:03 am

Pressure from what?

PhilX 🇺🇸
Also space doesn't exert any force, as far as I know, it's acted on by various forces, but doesn't exert any itself.
since observations per 1998 we know know that space does so. "Drak energy" whatever that is.

no one knows.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Dontaskme wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:44 am
thedoc wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:09 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:31 pm

The atoms told you this? :lol:

PhilX 🇺🇸
No, the voices in his head told him this, but then voices will tell you anything that you want to believe.

Everything about yourself, everything about others, the world and his wife is JUST a belief, and without the belief, what is reality,
only provable reality is of myself. Solipsism.

all the rest is per Faith.

which i have little of.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

PhilX 🇺🇸
[/quote]

I'm a crackpot,
[/quote]

are you?

[/quote]

Jesus wasn't lying when he said I am the way the light and the truth and who ever shall live in me will be free.

Author of John said Jesus said Jesus said such.

not the authors of Mark/Luke Matt.

Jesus (left no written record (none that survived assuming he could write) and may have not even have been literate).
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

screwed up the quotes above. sorry. you folks can manage.

BTW i think Jesus prob a nice essene jew. one to share a beer with.

not god, nor what author John said what he was 70 yrs after his death.

but whatever, if you view Jesus as perfect - god or son of, more power to you if it serves good i have no prob with it or your beliefs.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

gaffo wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:44 am

Also space doesn't exert any force, as far as I know, it's acted on by various forces, but doesn't exert any itself.
since observations per 1998 we know know that space does so. "Drak energy" whatever that is.

no one knows.
Since when is "dark energy" and space the same thing, It is my understanding that they are not the same.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

thedoc wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:18 pm
gaffo wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:44 am

no one knows.
Since when is "dark energy" and space the same thing, It is my understanding that they are not the same.
Dark energy is a theoretical repulsive force to gravity, causing the universe to expand at an accelerating rate.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Greta

Post by Greta »

Whatever we call them, and however they operate at different scales, it's clear that everything exists due to the balance of various forces pushing inwards and others pushing outwards.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:16 pm The nucleus of all atoms are positively charged (due to the protons). The protons should be repelling each other and the nucleus should be flying apart (apart from the hydrogen atom). But they don't. So what keeps them together? What is going on inside the nucleus?

You don't need a deep knowledge of physics to answer this question. Many people take the atom for granted. A little investigating may open you eyes and help you to understand our universe better.

PhilX 🇺🇸
I've found a video with graphics showing what holds the nucleus of an atom together. Make sure you look and listen closely.

The graphics illustrating how the nucleus is held starts around 4 mins into the video...so if want to get straight to the juice, start there, or just watch it all from the start....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnFqQW56S1I

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:35 pm
PhilX 🇺🇸
Hey Phil, what do you think of the video showing what holds the nucleus of an atom together? ..in last post.

It seems you want answers, yet when answers are given they just get ignored, funny how that happens, do you want answers or not?

Philosophy Explorer

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:59 am
PhilX 🇺🇸
Hey Phil, what do you think of the video showing what holds the nucleus of an atom together? ..in last post.

It seems you want answers, yet when answers are given they just get ignored, funny how that happens, do you want answers or not?

Junk. Doesn't show who's doing the narrating, doesn't show how this "knowledge" was arrived at, doesn't go into any experiments. It only shows it's religion inspired (and I'm agnostic). The question should be "Do YOU want answers?" (should have posted it to the religion category). I won't look at any more You Tube videos as they're a waste of time and you're a waste of time.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:51 pm
PhilX 🇺🇸

Junk. Doesn't show who's doing the narrating, doesn't show how this "knowledge" was arrived at, doesn't go into any experiments. It only shows it's religion inspired (and I'm agnostic). The question should be "Do YOU want answers?" (should have posted it to the religion category). I won't look at any more You Tube videos as they're a waste of time and you're a waste of time.

PhilX 🇺🇸
God is a tree.

People look at the tree and think, meh, it's just a tree, so what?

Meh, I want proof man, proof, where is the proof? show me the proof, otherwise you are wasting my time.

Have you tried finding your own proof Phil?

Why wait for someone else to show it to you...if they have it, then surely you can have it too, else where in the heck are they getting from? :D

Philosophy Explorer

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:06 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:51 pm

PhilX 🇺🇸
God is a tree.

People look at the tree and think, meh, it's just a tree, so what?

Meh, I want proof man, proof, where is the proof? show me the proof, otherwise you are wasting my time.

Have you tried finding your own proof Phil?

Why wait for someone else to show it to you...if they have it, then surely you can have it too, else where in the heck are they getting from? :D

Remember pal, this is my thread that you're trying to hijack with your agenda. Science and religion don't mix like oil and water. If you want to talk about religion, go post your religion thread in the religion category as you don't want to talk about science.

PhilX 🇺🇸