What's so different now? (go get a horse)

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Would you ride in a driverless cars?

Yes
67%
No
33%
Not sure
No votes

Total votes: 6

Walker

Re: What's so different now? (go get a horse)

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:40 am Did you know that in the NZ census you can put 'church of the flying spaghetti monster' as your religion?
I don’t think so.

Of course, if that religion threatens to cut off my head if I don’t put that as my religion, then I might consider it, depending on the implications for the future.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

It's easy enough to look up.
Walker

Post by Walker »

:lol:

Kiddo, the crux of the comment is the pronoun, you.

You wrote, you.

And I thought, me?

I can't join that church.
vegetariantaxidermy

Oh, ok. Hilarious. You could if you wanted to, if you happened to be there on that particular night.
wtf

Post by wtf »

Walker wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:15 pm The big business mouthpieces were quick to point out that the poor woman wasn't in the crosswalk, implying that she's at fault.
The latest word from the police is that she stepped off the median in front of the car. A human or a robot would have killed her either way. So even though this particular tragedy did serve to bring the issue of driverless cars to the national conversation; the actual particulars of this case aren't actually bad for the autonomous car. We still haven't had the first fatal accident that a human driver could have avoided. It will come though.

I'm not a fan of autonomous vehicles. There's too much eye-contact and human judgment involved in driving. That pedestrian about to walk off the curb ... are they drunk or distracted? Or fully alert and just craning their neck to see if the bus is coming? Humans make those kinds of judgments all the time. We're years if not decades from machines being able to do that.
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:14 pm Anericans can't even use a gear stick so it's no wonder they need 'driverless cars'.
vegetariamtaxiderny seens to be consuned by prejudice against Anerica and its people. I reconnemd you just igmore her.
vegetariantaxidermy

Your touching attention to my typo is absolutely hilarious. Of course, there could actually be a place called Anerica where nearly everyone drives automatics (just like America). :|
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Walker wrote:The big business mouthpieces were quick to point out that the poor woman wasn't in the crosswalk, implying that she's at fault.
A.I. or not if you walk out in front of a car under it's stopping distance physics will out.

There was also a driver in the car who apparently also wasn't able to react in time.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Walker wrote:...
- The need for change to the driverless cars is artificial.
- Most likely the need for driverless cars is being created for personal profit, and not the public interest.
Given over 30,000 a year die on your roads it looks like a public interest could be served.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Arising_uk wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:44 pm
Walker wrote:The big business mouthpieces were quick to point out that the poor woman wasn't in the crosswalk, implying that she's at fault.
A.I. or not if you walk out in front of a car under it's stopping distance physics will out.

There was also a driver in the car who apparently also wasn't able to react in time.
That's because the driver was inattentive. Watch the video.
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:49 pm Your touching attention to my typo is absolutely hilarious. Of course, there could actually be a place called Anerica where nearly everyone drives automatics (just like America). :|
I think women demand the automatic transmissions. There’s just too much luxury to be bothered with shifting the gear stick thingy while driving. Attention goes to eating the Big Mac, drinking the half-gallon sized soda pop, smokin’ ‘em if you gottem, checking the GPS, adjusting the temperature of the heated seats, applying makeup to face, flossing the Big Mac out of the teeth, fielding the messages and phone calls, monitoring the movies for the soccer brats in the back, opening the moon roof, closing the moon roof, adjusting the rear-view mirror so it reflects back into the eyes of the asshole tailgating you, and not mowing down homeless women on bicycles even though interactive autos are supposed to apply the brakes in place of your inattentive self, if you can believe the commercials.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Arising_uk wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:50 pm
Walker wrote:...
- The need for change to the driverless cars is artificial.
- Most likely the need for driverless cars is being created for personal profit, and not the public interest.
Given over 30,000 a year die on your roads it looks like a public interest could be served.
Ostensibly.

They used to say 50,000, because that correlated with Vietnam stats.

Lots more cars these days.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Walker wrote:That's because the driver was inattentive. Watch the video.
Wow that was sad.

Over here that 'assisted' driver would be prosecuted as they were clearly checking their phone which is illegal but from the footage it seems quite clear that no-one or thing would have been able to stop in time as that cyclist came out of nowhere with no lights or any relective clothing. I'm amazed that given she's a cyclist she appears to have had no self-preservation or road skills as surely she could see the car coming and judged it's speed before she crossed?
Walker

Post by Walker »

I never hit anyone, never had an accident.

Unless the homeless woman on the bicycle was completely suicidal, and I doubt if she was, I could have stopped, or swerved, or anticipated. Been doing it for a long time.

More importantly, doesn't the car have automatic braking?

It was some Volvo model.

Might have been electric and it quietly sneaked up on her.
Last edited by Walker on Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Walker wrote: Ostensibly.

They used to say 50,000, because that correlated with Vietnam stats.

Lots more cars these days.
True looks like your drivers have got better but the lower fatalities could be due to car improvements, better brakes, anti-lock, air-bags, etc but your average driving skills still appear horrendous from our statisical perspective. Although you probably do a lot of miles out there and I think the boringness of your average road might cause complacency and inattention and the idea that you can turn at a red light just amazes us and the all-way stop is just mental, stick a roundabout in for gawd's sake. :)