What's so different now? (go get a horse)

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Would you ride in a driverless cars?

Yes
67%
No
33%
Not sure
No votes

Total votes: 6

Philosophy Explorer

Re: What's so different now? (go get a horse)

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

On a positive note, any weaknesses now in the technology can steadily diminish.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

I think there was one case where a self-driving vehicle slammed into a vehicle that was stopped in traffic in front of it, as the vehicle's censors somehow did not respond to a non-moving object in that situation. I believe it was a vehicle owned by Elon Musk. Other than that, all of the crashes I have heard of involving self-driving vehicles, the self-driving vehicle was not at fault. However, I've also seen a YouTube video where a self-driving vehicle ran a red light after the light had changed and other vehicles came to a stop, so I'm sure the technology is not perfect yet, but, overall, the results do look promising and I can see how fewer collisions will occur as a result. Now, is this an "artificial need" --- saving lives by reducing accidents? Or an actual need?

Why people attack technological advancements that can improve our well being is simply beyond me. I'm sad to know that I won't be able to see all the great technology being produced 100 years from now. I certainly don't want to impede technological advancements.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Anericans can't even use a gear stick so it's no wonder they need 'driverless cars'. And idiots who can't use gear sticks but insist on driving around in ridiculous tanks presumably need to be able to park them 'somehow' (rather than just driving around and around and waiting for five parking spaces in a row to become available).
Walker

Post by Walker »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:24 pm On a positive note, any weaknesses now in the technology can steadily diminish.

PhilX 🇺🇸
The technology will improve all right, but why?

Imagine climbing into the capsule for a biometric scan to evaluate your involuntary reactions to preset stimuli appearing on the glass surfaces that surround you, flashing lights and such, which will determine and assign the legal status of your state of mind according to the handy dandy dynamic algorithm analyzing the reaction data.

Woe to you if you stepped in something or touched something in the public domain such as cash money, for the capsule machinery will detect certain molecules per million and now you’re sealed in, on the way to a new destination not of your choosing, and who’s gonna believe you over the shiny new machine after all the hoopla to promote the thing.

Imagine music piped in to affect your mood without your consent, especially if some garage owner paying off the government inspector neglects to clean a filter which causes the machine to misread your music mood. How annoying.

Even if mechanical error can be decreed in your favor and you were able to prove that you were unconstitutionally sealed in for evaluation and probing, or flattened by the car while crossing the street, the price of justice is steep for common folks, which makes it that much tougher because you along with the whole world are now strapped into making car payments for the new driverless cars.

You’re also paying new taxes to pay the tax credits those in the know are using to retool the factories and build all the shiny new machine-navigated vehicles.

There’s just no end to it.
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

And here comes VT with her American-bashing bigotry nonsense. As if the people of New Zealand all know how to drive better than Americans? Based on what? At a certain point, such childish bigotry goes beyond the realm of the absurd.
vegetariantaxidermy

Hardly 'bigotry' when statistics say the same thing. And those huge tanks are a fucking disgrace, with Kiwi and Aussie morons following suit. Notice that Europeans, who have an actual identity and deep cultural heritage, don't behave like malleable star-struck zombies who mindlessly follow everything they see on yank-dominated mass media.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Just curious, does anyone know where people use the term 'gear stick' when referring to the 'gear shift lever' on a car? People must really be backwards there.
vegetariantaxidermy

Fucking disgrace. Advertised as 'soccer mom special'.
vegetariantaxidermy

thedoc wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:56 pm Just curious, does anyone know where people use the term 'gear stick' when referring to the 'gear shift lever' on a car? People must really be backwards there.
Anything that isn't what wanks would say is fine by me.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:04 pm Image

Fucking disgrace. Advertised as 'soccer mom special'.
Glad I'm not a soccer mom.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:06 pm
thedoc wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:56 pm Just curious, does anyone know where people use the term 'gear stick' when referring to the 'gear shift lever' on a car? People must really be backwards there.
Anything that isn't what wanks would say is fine by me.
Figures.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Apparently these days there’s a PC auto size.
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

From searching the web, it appears New Zealand is like the number one PC nation. That would explain a lot of Veggie's comments.
Walker

Post by Walker »

RustyBert wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:30 pm
Walker wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:05 am Q: What’s so different now?

A: It’s looking like the difference is a high level of corruption driving public policy, whereas in Henry Ford’s heyday, autos multiplied because of genuine need, namely, NYC was sinking under a great load of horse hockey.

What’s going on with the cars sounds like a variation of smash and grab, as explained below, namely, use influence to create a situation, then engage crony capitalism to profit.

“So to give you one brief example, [the] University of Phoenix, it’s a for-profit school — a lot of people have heard of it — the Obama administration declares that the company is not serving students well, and they say, ‘We are going to suspend GI dollars from the Pentagon for soldiers to study at the University of Phoenix,'” explained Schweizer.

“Well, you can imagine, this for-profit university, its stock price goes from like a hundred dollars a share down to three dollars a share overnight. So what happens? Marty Nesbitt, Barack Obama’s best friend, says, ‘Hey! We’ll step in and buy it. We’ll step in and buy the company.’ They do. They basically buy it for three cents on the dollar, and then, lo and behold, imagine what happens next. The Obama administration decides that, ‘No, we are going to allow GI dollars flow to the University of Phoenix,’ thereby boosting the valuation of the company again.”

Schweizer described Obama’s “smash and grab” strategy as repeatedly used across Obama’s presidential tenure, with beneficiaries such as Tom Steyer and George Soros. He further noted that such ill-gotten funds partly find their way into the Obama Foundation via Nesbitt’s financing.

Source: http://www.breitbart.com/radio/2018/03/ ... h-buddies/
Wow, quoting Breitbart. And Drumpf never lies through his teeth.
Is this same story from two years ago from an acceptable PC news source?

Bid to buy for-profit college by former Obama insiders raises questions
https://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/ ... ver-224917
vegetariantaxidermy

Did you know that in the NZ census you can put 'church of the flying spaghetti monster' as your religion?