Rapid flu tests

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Rapid flu tests

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Due to only 50% to 70% accuracy, this may be a reason why so many are dying after being sent home from the hospital.

Do you think more would survive if the test were conducted twice?

PhilX 🇺🇸
-1-

Re: Rapid flu tests

Post by -1- »

What are you talking about? Is there now a "rapid flu" epidemic? I haven't watched the news in days.
Philosophy Explorer

-1- wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:32 pm What are you talking about? Is there now a "rapid flu" epidemic? I haven't watched the news in days.
You can Google rapid flu tests to find out (check the CBS story).

PhilX 🇺🇸
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Don't know about you lot or when the last time you had flu but personally if you can make it to somewhere to test if it's flu it generally won't be.
Philosophy Explorer

Arising_uk wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:36 pm Don't know about you lot or when the last time you had flu but personally if you can make it to somewhere to test if it's flu it generally won't be.
Maybe but is it worth that gamble? Every day I see more stories about people dying after being released from a hospital.

PhilX 🇺🇸
-1-

Post by -1- »

It's a rapid test. The flu is conventional. To answer my own question because the op did not know how to answer this (the OP directed me to google).

Mayo clinic recommends staying home in bed, drinking lots of liquids.

So what's the big f deal if you know rapidly whether it's the flu or not? How does it help you? Or help society?
-1-

Post by -1- »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:47 pm
Arising_uk wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:36 pm Don't know about you lot or when the last time you had flu but personally if you can make it to somewhere to test if it's flu it generally won't be.
Maybe but is it worth that gamble? Every day I see more stories about people dying after being released from a hospital.

PhilX 🇺🇸
How do you mean "gamble"? By ignoring they have the flu, or by venturing into the hospital to get a test to tell you what you already know (that you got the flu).

Yeah, in my town more and more people are reported dead after leaving the hospital. A doctor died after leaving the hospital, because her jealous lover shot her through the heart. And a sick janitor, who left the hospital, was struck by lightning on the golf course after leaving the hospital. And an anesthesiologist who waked through a cemetery as a shortcut after being released from the hospital, soon died by way of the dead rising from the grave and eating him.

Technically, anyone who has ever been into a hospital, released, gone home, and passed away subsequently, died after being released from a hospital. Technically speaking.

We're all philosophers around here.
Philosophy Explorer

-1- wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:53 am It's a rapid test. The flu is conventional. To answer my own question because the op did not know how to answer this (the OP directed me to google).

Mayo clinic recommends staying home in bed, drinking lots of liquids.

So what's the big f deal if you know rapidly whether it's the flu or not? How does it help you? Or help society?
This flu season isn't conventional (many children are dying). And it isn't just "the flu" (there are different strains
going around).

You've admitted you haven't kept up with the news so you don't know how bad it is. If you prefer to die at home in bed, that's your business. The rapid flu test isn't doing a good job which is what this thread is about.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Philosophy Explorer

-1- wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:59 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:47 pm

PhilX 🇺🇸
How do you mean "gamble"? By ignoring they have the flu, or by venturing into the hospital to get a test to tell you what you already know (that you got the flu).

Yeah, in my town more and more people are reported dead after leaving the hospital. A doctor died after leaving the hospital, because her jealous lover shot her through the heart. And a sick janitor, who left the hospital, was struck by lightning on the golf course after leaving the hospital. And an anesthesiologist who waked through a cemetery as a shortcut after being released from the hospital, soon died by way of the dead rising from the grave and eating him.

Technically, anyone who has ever been into a hospital, released, gone home, and passed away subsequently, died after being released from a hospital. Technically speaking.

We're all philosophers around here.
Irrelevant.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:This flu season isn't conventional (many children are dying). ...
Sadly that is the norm as it's the young and old that generally die from flu.
And it isn't just "the flu" (there are different strains going around).
That's a norm as well which is why flu jabs aren't that effective.
You've admitted you haven't kept up with the news so you don't know how bad it is. If you prefer to die at home in bed, that's your business. The rapid flu test isn't doing a good job which is what this thread is about.
Have you thought that you increase your chances of catching the flu by going into a hospital during a flu outbreak?
Philosophy Explorer

Arising_uk wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:36 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote:This flu season isn't conventional (many children are dying). ...
Sadly that is the norm as it's the young and old that generally die from flu.
And it isn't just "the flu" (there are different strains going around).
That's a norm as well which is why flu jabs aren't that effective.
Have you thought that you increase your chances of catching the flu by going into a hospital during a flu outbreak?
The last point is a good one. Still makes me wonder why some seasons are worse than others and why the season normally ends in February (I've read). Still the doctors recommend getting a flu shot.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Philosophy Explorer

I'm a big believer in technology. Some day, instead of going out to the hospital, a robot can visit you and give you a shot. Another possibility is the universal flu vaccine.

Still wondering if it would pay to get two rapid flu shots (they're only $10 apiece)?

PhilX 🇺🇸