Methodology

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Methodology

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Why are psychiatrists classified as doctors since psychiatrists methodology are often open to question?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
-1-

Re: Methodology

Post by -1- »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:04 am Why are psychiatrists classified as doctors since psychiatrists methodology are often open to question?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Psychiatrists are doctors because they need to get a medical doctorate before they can specialize in psychiatry.

I don't know what you mean by "psychiatrists' methodology (is) often open to question". What methodology? What question? Can you name up to five such questions? Psychiatrists do do research and base their work on that, much like scientists in any other branch of medicine or science.
Philosophy Explorer

-1- wrote: โ†‘Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:11 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:04 am Why are psychiatrists classified as doctors since psychiatrists methodology are often open to question?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Psychiatrists are doctors because they need to get a medical doctorate before they can specialize in psychiatry.

I don't know what you mean by "psychiatrists' methodology (is) often open to question". What methodology? What question? Can you name up to five such questions? Psychiatrists do do research and base their work on that, much like scientists in any other branch of medicine or science.
What methods do they use in their work? How predictable is their work in saying how someone will behave? How much do psychiatrists rely on opinion when they do their studies? When violent prisoners are turned loose on society, how often do they go back to doing crimes? Have child molesters ever been cured of their urges to repeat their crimes?

How do we know that psychiatrists are objective in their work? If not, then their research doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Philosophy Explorer

Here's an article that backs up what I say:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psycho ... lies%3Famp

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
-1-

Post by -1- »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:58 am

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

What methods do they use in their work?
PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
I actually asked what methodology they used in their work, because that's what you were hung up about initially. "Their methodology is often up to question." Then you explained their methods. I asked you about their methodology.

What's the difference between method and methodology? Same as between meth and methadone?

They must mean different things, otherwise they would be called the same. But one is called method, the other, methodology.

So what questions often come up with regard to METHODOLY, not with regard to METHOD. Thanks. (If you feel like please answer it... not the end of the world if you don't answer it.)
Philosophy Explorer

-1- wrote: โ†‘Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:26 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:58 am

What methods do they use in their work?
PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
I actually asked what methodology they used in their work, because that's what you were hung up about initially. "Their methodology is often up to question." Then you explained their methods. I asked you about their methodology.

What's the difference between method and methodology? Same as between meth and methadone?

They must mean different things, otherwise they would be called the same. But one is called method, the other, methodology.

So what questions often come up with regard to METHODOLY, not with regard to METHOD. Thanks. (If you feel like please answer it... not the end of the world if you don't answer it.)
I'm sure you've heard of synonyms.

Can you prove that psychiatry is objective?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
-1-

Post by -1- »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:58 am What methods do they use in their work? How predictable is their work in saying how someone will behave? How much do psychiatrists rely on opinion when they do their studies? When violent prisoners are turned loose on society, how often do they go back to doing crimes? Have child molesters ever been cured of their urges to repeat their crimes?

How do we know that psychiatrists are objective in their work? If not, then their research doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Psychiatric research is concentrated on chemical experiments on lab rats, and then on people. Opinion plays little role in the lab rat experiments, I would suspect.

You can't 'cure' someone of the disease of child molestation because it is not a disease, it is a behaviour and motivated pleasure source due to mutation. Much like homosexuality is, or a tendency to become bald, or a tendency to be heterosexual with an adult partner. Who gave you the idea that child molesters were anything but mutated humans?

Psychiatrists' work is somewhat predictive, although not on an individual basis, but on a mass scale. They will stay with precise accuracy things like (as an example) "out of 1000 schizophrenics 14.8 will commit suicide by age 28", although they will be hard pressed to point at WHICH individual ones of the 1000 in the initial sample will be the ones to kill themselves.

How do we know psychiatrists are objective in their work? By repetition of their methods and experimental results, by holding them to industry standards, by giving them training that enables them to do their jobs well.

It is a thankless profession, btw. Treating psychiatric patients today can be compared to treating bacterial infections before the discovery of penicillin. Most people with serious bacterial infections died prior to ww2. There was nothing the doctors could do when you had an ear infection to save you from deafness, and there was nothing they could do when you had TB to save you from suffocating in short order. There was nothing they could do to stop you from developing sores, painful skin abresions, dementia, and eventually premature death when you contracted syphilis. Much like you will be suffering a lifetime, and will your immediate environment when you somehow become ill with a psychiatric disease nowadays.

They say the psychiatry branch of medicine lags about 100 years behind physical medicine, and that is pretty good, considering there were doctors 2000-4000 years ago, but psychiatrists, only for the last 150-250 years. Psychiatry, as a branch of medicine, is a fast learner, if you allow that metaphor.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:29 am I'm sure you've heard of synonyms.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Admit that you don't know the difference between the proper usage of "method" and "methodology". I don't use "methodology" because I know that I don't know what it means. It is an expression used in pedagogy, or so it seems to me, but I don't know what they mean by it.
Philosophy Explorer

-1- wrote:

"Psychiatric research is concentrated on chemical experiments on lab rats, and then on people. Opinion plays little role in the lab rat experiments, I would suspect."

"Lab rats." Give me a break. It's well known in science how unreliable those experiments are in predicting human behavior. No mention of human clinical trials?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Philosophy Explorer

-1- wrote:

"Psychiatrists' work is somewhat predictive, although not on an individual basis, but on a mass scale. They will stay with precise accuracy things like (as an example) "out of 1000 schizophrenics 14.8 will commit suicide by age 28", although they will be hard pressed to point at WHICH individual ones of the 1000 in the initial sample will be the ones to kill themselves."

So how do we determine who to let loose upon society?
What's the point to psychiatry then?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Philosophy Explorer

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Here's my online dictionary's definition:

"a system of methods used in a particular area of study or activity." Clear enough to me.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
-1-

Post by -1- »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:07 am

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

"a system of methods used in a particular area of study or activity." Clear enough to me.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Yes, that's pretty clear. Does it have to be a methodical system of methods used in a particular area of study or activity?

For instance, training a runner. One method is to make him do squats. The other method is to make him do many short sprints. Another method is to make him run for very long distances.

If you combine these three methods, meaning, you apply all three in the training of the runner, is that a methodology, or a method that combines and involves three other methods?

This is an important question to answer, PhilX us.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:56 am -1- wrote:

"Psychiatric research is concentrated on chemical experiments on lab rats, and then on people. Opinion plays little role in the lab rat experiments, I would suspect."

"Lab rats." Give me a break. It's well known in science how unreliable those experiments are in predicting human behavior. No mention of human clinical trials?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
No, it is not well known.

Name your source.

This is the second or third time you use an argument that ought to be supported by data, and you claim something that is not obvious but only when backed up by recorded data. Which you elegantly avoid. It's time to own up to your opinions which you mistake for scientific facts.

So please present your source that say that lab rat experiments are unreliable.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:01 am -1- wrote:

"Psychiatrists' work is somewhat predictive, although not on an individual basis, but on a mass scale. They will stay with precise accuracy things like (as an example) "out of 1000 schizophrenics 14.8 will commit suicide by age 28", although they will be hard pressed to point at WHICH individual ones of the 1000 in the initial sample will be the ones to kill themselves."

So how do we determine who to let loose upon society?
What's the point to psychiatry then?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
What do you mean "we"? You and I? or we as humanity?

It is psychiatrists who determine that, and I don't know the criteria they use.

The point to psychiatry is to make diseases more tolerable to live with, and ultimately, to find a cure for them.
Philosophy Explorer

-1- wrote: โ†‘Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:22 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:07 am

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Yes, that's pretty clear. Does it have to be a methodical system of methods used in a particular area of study or activity?

For instance, training a runner. One method is to make him do squats. The other method is to make him do many short sprints. Another method is to make him run for very long distances.

If you combine these three methods, meaning, you apply all three in the training of the runner, is that a methodology, or a method that combines and involves three other methods?

This is an important question to answer, PhilX us.
You're getting hung up a bit on the semantics. It could be individual or combined, that's what's important. Whatever works in the training. (you may not know that I've successfully conducted an experiment in sales with a very small sample during my career).

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ