What is the universe made of? II

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
Greta
Posts: 2990
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

Re: What is the universe made of? II

Post by Greta » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:03 pm

uwot wrote:
Greta wrote:The quantum foam would seem more or less the same thing, sans the stigmatising name.
Hmm. Yes. Expanding bubbles in quantum foam. I like it!
Most of the virtual particles pop out of existence as soon as they appear, aside from the one we are living in :)

Or what about the Higgs field? That's rather aether-like - stuff through which everything "swims".

Then there's Hagelin's universal field. Many laugh about him but he has his moments IMO.
uwot wrote:
Greta wrote:So, rather than intrinsic relative persistence of the universe's stuff, the formation of structures is simply a function of the number of ripples?
Well, 'material' structures are more yer whirlpools than ripples. It's a thing about quantum mechanics that if you take a quark out of it's 'symbiotic' relationship, it disappears in a bubble of quantum foam. (See? I'm getting the hang of it.)
Wouldn't the disappearance of the quark in itself create ripples?

Dubious
Posts: 1523
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 7:40 am

Re: What is the universe made of? II

Post by Dubious » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:15 pm

Your blog is truly impressive. The way it's presented even some science mags could take a few tips from you. For all the effort it took, it must have been a labor of love. I'll definitely be visiting here a few times. Only one thing; what browser are you using because in the three I use Firefox, MS Explorer and Opera the Blog Archive section is directly below the About Me section instead of Will Bouman section. This causes interference with the topmost part of your presentation. I suspect you're using chrome otherwise you would have seen it too. Would that clinch it?

Anyways, excellent work, congrats!

uwot
Posts: 3295
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:21 am

Re: What is the universe made of? II

Post by uwot » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:28 am

Greta wrote:Then there's Hagelin's universal field. Many laugh about him but he has his moments IMO.
The meanies. I don't think they laugh at his physics, the laughter comes when he equates it with consciousness. I have no idea what consciousness; for all I know, Hagelin might get the last laugh.
Greta wrote:Wouldn't the disappearance of the quark in itself create ripples?
Yup. Gluons. One of your compatriots created a simulation, several in fact http://www.physics.adelaide.edu.au/theo ... leinweber/ They're part of the inspiration of my efforts.

uwot
Posts: 3295
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:21 am

Re: What is the universe made of? II

Post by uwot » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:36 am

Dubious wrote:Your blog is truly impressive.
Thank you; it's very kind of you to say so.
Dubious wrote:Only one thing; what browser are you using because in the three I use Firefox, MS Explorer and Opera the Blog Archive section is directly below the About Me section instead of Will Bouman section. This causes interference with the topmost part of your presentation. I suspect you're using chrome otherwise you would have seen it too. Would that clinch it?
I see what you mean. Not sure what I can do about that. I'll try tweaking it.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest