How does gravity work?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: How does gravity work?

Post by attofishpi »

uwot wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:09 pm
attofishpi wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:53 amI was thinking of dragging this thread off topic a tad - by way of talking of a binary universe. I won't, unless i am given a reasonable reason to do so.., I am more likely to do it via another thread, but just out of interest, how do you feel regarding such a proposition? Do you consider the universe binary, 'digital' - at its most finite scale'?
It's an interesting question. At the end of the day, it comes down to whether there is a most finite scale. You can flip a coin on that one. My hunch is that there isn't, but that may just be because I'm old enough to remember vinyl records
Flipping a coin is binary, unless it lands on its edge..certain u r toying wiv me there!

Yes, i've never read anything regarding a binary-digital universe - I tend to steer clear of 'philosophical' theories until i've considered my own to a degree I am satisfied with. I do think at the most finite scale an event either occurs or it doesn't ...and there is the binary scale at its most finite in 3D space.

As most often is the case, i'm enlightened with your responses. :D

Good work on your blog mate, shouldn't be too hard to get published one day!
http://willijbouwman.blogspot.co.uk
uwot

Post by uwot »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:03 amFlipping a coin is binary, unless it lands on its edge..certain u r toying wiv me there!
Who me?
attofishpi wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:03 amYes, i've never read anything regarding a binary-digital universe - I tend to steer clear of 'philosophical' theories until i've considered my own to a degree I am satisfied with. I do think at the most finite scale an event either occurs or it doesn't ...and there is the binary scale at its most finite in 3D space.
The thing is, if Max Planck was right (and there's bloody good reasons to think he was), we will never know if there is a most finite scale, because there is a limit to what we could ever see. If we ever build a collider the size of the solar system, we might still find that things are fuzzy at the Planck scale.
attofishpi wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:03 amAs most often is the case, i'm enlightened with your responses. :D

Good work on your blog mate, shouldn't be too hard to get published one day!
http://willijbouwman.blogspot.co.uk
Cheers. Very good of you to say so.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Noax wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:13 pm
SpheresOfBalance wrote:The wing is not pushing air down, the air is pushing the wing up.
This statement is a violation of Newton's third law. Something must be pushed down to drive a heavier-than-air object aloft.
It would seem that you're a bit confused!

"Flow deflection and Newton's laws
An airfoil generates lift by exerting a downward force on the air as it flows past. According to Newton's third law,
the air must exert an equal and opposite (upward) force on the airfoil, which is the lift.[13][14][15][16]
I do believe we were talking about lift, right?

The air flow changes direction as it passes the airfoil and follows a path that is curved downward. According to Newton's second law, this change in flow direction requires a downward force applied to the air by the airfoil. Then, according to Newton's third law, the air must exert an upward force on the airfoil. The overall result is that a reaction force, the lift, is generated opposite to the directional change. In the case of an airplane wing, the wing exerts a downward force on the air and the air exerts an upward force on the wing.[17][18][19][20][21][22][23][25]"

Compliments: --Wikipedia--

Nose tilts up, the wing angle of attack pushes air down the same way it does with a ceiling fan. In level flight, there is a net downward thrust to the air which is planely (pun intended obviously) evident if the aircraft is flying through a medium (100% humid air for instance) in which its wake becomes visible.

I've been at the end of runways of large aircraft (8-engine B52) taking off. You can feel the pressure as they go over. Funny that they let you stand there, but not in the same place at a commercial airport.

Engines of most aircraft are there to overcome friction which is why they thrust forwards and not up, attack angles not withstanding. Many military aircraft have plenty to spare beyond that of course and some have enough to thrust straight up leaving the wings with about as much function as the fins on a rocket: steering but no lift.
Noax

Post by Noax »

SpheresOfBalance wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:54 pm
Noax wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:13 pm
SpheresOfBalance wrote:The wing is not pushing air down, the air is pushing the wing up.
This statement is a violation of Newton's third law. Something must be pushed down to drive a heavier-than-air object aloft.
It would seem that you're a bit confused!
Wikipedia wrote: "Flow deflection and Newton's laws
An airfoil generates lift by exerting a downward force on the air as it flows past. According to Newton's third law,
the air must exert an equal and opposite (upward) force on the airfoil, which is the lift.[13][14][15][16]
I do believe we were talking about lift, right?
My bold. We were talking about pushing air down as a part of creating lift. The wiki bolded part contradicts the bolded part of what you wrote. That's what I was pointing out.

You're just now replying to some comment made 7 months ago? Admittedly I have not been often logging on either and only just now saw this.