At the Beginning was the Word

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

A_Seagull

Re: At the Beginning was the Word

Post by A_Seagull »

Cerveny wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:03 pm It is written that At the Beginning was the Word. How can we understand it?
Don't believe everything you read.
Serendipper

Post by Serendipper »

Greta wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:38 am FYI, Leo died a couple of years ago so he will be fine with whatever you type.
I was looking through JSS' old posts and discovered this. He was James S Saint at ILP and we haven't heard a peep from him in months. Since he hadn't missed a day of posting since 2011, I figure he graduated.
-1-

Post by -1- »

JSS wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:03 pm "The Word" in scriptures means "The Spell".

In the beginning was the Spell, and the Spell was with God, and the Spell was God. - The Go-spel that causes all things.
Zo... if that was the meaning of the word, why could they not use the word they meant, why did they use a different word for "Spell"?

I know JSS is dead ("Jss is dead", Nietzsche), but still.

Also: I object to the notion of "in the beginning" if it refers to an absolute beginning of time, before which time there had been no time prior. That is not possible.

So if it's not an absolute beginning, then the beginning refers to what? and what had been before the beginning? Certainly not god, which was the word, which was the Spell, (how do you spell "Word"?) because this thing only came to be in the beginning. (I am not sure if I am right about this last claim. In the beginning was the word, but there is no claim that the word hadn't existed before the beginning.)

At any rate, "In the beginning was the word" is pure conjecture. Outside the bible here is no evidence of a beginning, and that there was only the word at the beginning.

The whole concept is simplistic, disturbing, because it can only be fathomed by a madman or by a retarded person. By "fathomed" I meant "accepted mentally and intellectually at face value". Any reasonably smart person, and I mean by that having an IQ over 80 and a healthy mind, can see that the sentence "in the beginning was the Word" is senseless, useless, unimaginative, counter-intuitive.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Serendipper wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:30 am
Greta wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:38 am FYI, Leo died a couple of years ago so he will be fine with whatever you type.
I was looking through JSS' old posts and discovered this. He was James S Saint at ILP and we haven't heard a peep from him in months. Since he hadn't missed a day of posting since 2011, I figure he graduated.
What's ILP? I don't know.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The three-letter abbreviation ILP can refer to the following concepts from computer science:

Instruction-level parallelism
Integer linear programming
Inductive logic programming
Information Leak Prevention
Inter Ledger Protocol
Besides, ILP can also refer to:

Independent Labour Party in the United Kingdom.
Individual Learning Plan, a teaching methodology.
Intelligence-led policing
Independent Living Program, a program for foster and probation youth who were in out-of-home placement at the age of 16, the program teach youth skills to live independently from the system.
Independent Living Program, a Veteran Affairs program aimed at making sure that each eligible veteran is able to live independently.
Inner Line Permit, a permission required for mainland Indian citizen to be able to travel into a restricted/protected state of North-East India.
Isolated Limb Perfusion, a limb-sparing, neoadjuvant therapy for soft tissue sarcomas.
Index Librorum Prohibitorum, the list of publications banned by the Catholic Church between 1559 and 1966.
Irvine Leading Power method, a consumer rocket nomenclature that includes power and visual read in the motor code.
Institution of Lighting Professionals, a professional lighting association based in the UK and Ireland.
ilp., a 2013 album by Kwes

So which of the above did you mean when you spelled ILP? Remember, we speak humanese on the forums. That means using words for concepts that have been formed and accepted by an informal consensus, and formalized in dictionaries.
Serendipper

Post by Serendipper »

-1- wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:16 am What's ILP? I don't know.
I have a hunch that Greta will know. Let's see if I'm right :D

I'm having a lot fun reading the exchanges between Leo, JSS, and uwot, but I feel like I'm a couple years too late for the party :cry: