Quantum Weirdness

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Quantum Weirdness

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Do you support the idea? Here's a recent report:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/op ... &referrer=

PhilX
Wyman

Re: Quantum Weirdness

Post by Wyman »

I've been reading a book on the subject and I found (among other things) the following to be interesting:

One aspect of the standard interpretation of quantum reality is that quantum particles are interpreted as being exactly identical - i.e. one electron is the same as another, one photon identical with any other. The differences in attributes like momentum and velocity and spin occur not because of differences inherent in the particles, but because of different 'paths' taken by the particle or because of the overall nature of 'quantum reality.'

The classical interpretation, on the other hand, see the differences in attributes as somehow caused by differences in the particles themselves. That is, particles are not identical, just like two billiard balls are not identical.

So the standard interpretation seems to treat a particle more like a mathematical object than a physical thing.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Wyman wrote:I've been reading a book on the subject and I found (among other things) the following to be interesting:

One aspect of the standard interpretation of quantum reality is that quantum particles are interpreted as being exactly identical - i.e. one electron is the same as another, one photon identical with any other. The differences in attributes like momentum and velocity and spin occur not because of differences inherent in the particles, but because of different 'paths' taken by the particle or because of the overall nature of 'quantum reality.'

The classical interpretation, on the other hand, see the differences in attributes as somehow caused by differences in the particles themselves. That is, particles are not identical, just like two billiard balls are not identical.

So the standard interpretation seems to treat a particle more like a mathematical object than a physical thing.
A problem with the interpretation, whether classical or standard, is does it apply to all of the particles in our universe? That is, are all particles alike or can the same particle differ from itself?

PhilX
Buddhist guy

Post by Buddhist guy »

Thank you for posting this! :)

I was considering starting a thread asking the question "What is it about humans and the need to indulge in intellectual/idealogical pissing contests", but this thread fits with my developing views perfectly.
Philosophy Explorer wrote:Do you support the idea? Here's a recent report:
Hi philx,
I'm certainly leaning that way. Just back from a contemplative walk. I was thinking about how in pretty much every human area of activity there is this obsessive contest about who is "right" and who is "wrong" and how much we seem to need to be right and hold the absolute truth. As the article suggests or hints at, what if we all hold bits of the "truth" about "reality" and the reason we have so much violence and stupidity is because of a pathological obsession with being right? Seems to me that we are all effectively prejudiced. Racism, sexism, homophobia, islamophobia, theophobia, atheophobia etc etc(I'm making words up now!) are all rooted in assumptions about the nature of a particular phenomena: "Look it's a nasty filthy wave, death to the waves! No you idiots you're massacring innocent particles!"....

The universe being stupid to itself??? :lol:
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Phil. Quantum weirdness is a by-product of the spacetime paradigm. If you buy the 4D continuum then you buy the weirdness as part of the same package. Mind you if you buy the 4D continuum I might be able to interest you in an Eiffel tower I have for sale. Hardly been used.