What does good evidence mean?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

What does good evidence mean?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

To give you some idea, suppose an experiment is to be run. The experimenter has a choice between running the experiment with a sample size of 100 people or running the experiment with two samples of 50 people each. One could argue that the larger sample of 100 people can be more convincing or the two samples may be more convincing (if they produce similar results, btw the experimenter has limited resources to work with).

This is just one example of many that are encountered. So what do you think that good evidence means in science?

PhilX
Melchior

Re: What does good evidence mean?

Post by Melchior »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:To give you some idea, suppose an experiment is to be run. The experimenter has a choice between running the experiment with a sample size of 100 people or running the experiment with two samples of 50 people each. One could argue that the larger sample of 100 people can be more convincing or the two samples may be more convincing (if they produce similar results, btw the experimenter has limited resources to work with).

This is just one example of many that are encountered. So what do you think that good evidence means in science?

PhilX
There are numerous books devoted to scientific research method. Read one.
Philosophy Explorer

Melchior wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:To give you some idea, suppose an experiment is to be run. The experimenter has a choice between running the experiment with a sample size of 100 people or running the experiment with two samples of 50 people each. One could argue that the larger sample of 100 people can be more convincing or the two samples may be more convincing (if they produce similar results, btw the experimenter has limited resources to work with).

PhilX
If this were a science forum, I would. But it's a philosophy forum (btw I already have read all the science literature I need to read).

PhilX
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Melchior wrote:

PhilX
If this were a science forum, I would. But it's a philosophy forum (btw I already have read all the science literature I need to read).

PhilX
There are law books on evidence and philosophy books on evidence and science books on evidence. Read them. Evidence is evidence. Why are you so lazy that you think you can get a quick answer on a forum? Do your own damn research!

https://www.google.com/#q=textbooks+on+evidence
Last edited by Melchior on Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philosophy Explorer

Melchior said:

"There are law books on evidence and science books on evidence. Read them. Evidence is evidence. Why are you so lazy that you think you can get a quick answer on a forum? Do your own damn research!"

A forum is a place where you exchange ideas. Do you have any to exchange? Are you putting down the others on this forum because you think they have nothing to offer?

PhilX
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Melchior said:

"There are law books on evidence and science books on evidence. Read them. Evidence is evidence. Why are you so lazy that you think you can get a quick answer on a forum? Do your own damn research!"

A forum is a place where you exchange ideas. Do you have any to exchange? Are you putting down the others on this forum because you think they have nothing to offer?

PhilX
This question is too broad and technical to give an answer on a forum, and those who might offer answers are likely unqualified to do so. I'm sure that lawyers take several courses on evidence, so how in the world can you expect someone to provide anything useful on a forum? The question is idiotic!

Take a class!

http://web.law.columbia.edu/courses/L6241#.VS_3j8J0zcs
Last edited by Melchior on Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philosophy Explorer

Melchior wrote:

PhilX
This question is too broad to give an answer on a forum, and those who might offer answers are likely unqualified to do so.
If that is so, then why do you come here?

PhilX
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Melchior wrote:

PhilX
This question is too broad to give an answer on a forum, and those who might offer answers are likely unqualified to do so.
If that is so, then why do you come here?

PhilX
I am qualified by virtue of holding a degree in philosophy, which few here do. Most people on here simply blow smoke out of their asses. There is a difference between "doing philosophy" and "giving uninformed opinions". Most here do the latter. A great deal of time is devoted to issues such as evidence in a formal program of study in science, law, and related fields.

"Daddy, can you explain thermodynamics to me?"

http://corporate.findlaw.com/litigation ... dence.html
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

That ain't my opinion - that's science. And science is a cold bitch with a 14" strap-on.
~Mazuka~
Dexter Season 3, Episode 5

Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Bill:

You have nothing of value to say on this forum, ever.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Well, what do YOU value?

...besides sweeping generalizations, false statements and attacks against fellow members?

Melchior

Post by Melchior »

A moron-free zone.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

No, I mean, philosophically wise. How you relate to this forum.

You see, because I've looked at all your posts and I can't find anything significant. Anything of value, philosophically.

I mean, you attack fellow members, in a crass type of way, but you don't actually ADD much of anything TO anything here.

Be an angel and provide some of your best posts right here upon this thread...ya know, for good evidence.

I'll wait.

Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

No, I mean, philosophically wise. How you relate to this forum.

You see, because I've looked at all your posts and I can't find anything significant. Anything of value, philosophically.

I mean, you attack fellow members, in a crass type of way, but you don't actually ADD much of anything TO anything here.

Be an angel and provide some of your best posts right here upon this thread...ya know, for good evidence.

I'll wait.

You are totally worthless.
Seremonia

Post by Seremonia »

Good evidence means, that it could be applied on your life mostly giving good benefit, including giving a good result (later) on after life (if you believe it).

So it doesn't matter whether you had evidence from 100 persons or 1 person or ten persons, the rest must be applied on your everyday life.

So, What does good evidence mean?

Good evidence means it could be applied (at least) personally and giving beneficial for most of our life.