What does good evidence mean?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5634
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

What does good evidence mean?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:53 pm

To give you some idea, suppose an experiment is to be run. The experimenter has a choice between running the experiment with a sample size of 100 people or running the experiment with two samples of 50 people each. One could argue that the larger sample of 100 people can be more convincing or the two samples may be more convincing (if they produce similar results, btw the experimenter has limited resources to work with).

This is just one example of many that are encountered. So what do you think that good evidence means in science?

PhilX

Melchior
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:20 pm

Re: What does good evidence mean?

Post by Melchior » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:02 pm

Philosophy Explorer wrote:To give you some idea, suppose an experiment is to be run. The experimenter has a choice between running the experiment with a sample size of 100 people or running the experiment with two samples of 50 people each. One could argue that the larger sample of 100 people can be more convincing or the two samples may be more convincing (if they produce similar results, btw the experimenter has limited resources to work with).

This is just one example of many that are encountered. So what do you think that good evidence means in science?

PhilX
There are numerous books devoted to scientific research method. Read one.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5634
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: What does good evidence mean?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:21 pm

Melchior wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:To give you some idea, suppose an experiment is to be run. The experimenter has a choice between running the experiment with a sample size of 100 people or running the experiment with two samples of 50 people each. One could argue that the larger sample of 100 people can be more convincing or the two samples may be more convincing (if they produce similar results, btw the experimenter has limited resources to work with).

This is just one example of many that are encountered. So what do you think that good evidence means in science?

PhilX
There are numerous books devoted to scientific research method. Read one.
If this were a science forum, I would. But it's a philosophy forum (btw I already have read all the science literature I need to read).

PhilX

Melchior
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:20 pm

Re: What does good evidence mean?

Post by Melchior » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:43 pm

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Melchior wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:To give you some idea, suppose an experiment is to be run. The experimenter has a choice between running the experiment with a sample size of 100 people or running the experiment with two samples of 50 people each. One could argue that the larger sample of 100 people can be more convincing or the two samples may be more convincing (if they produce similar results, btw the experimenter has limited resources to work with).

This is just one example of many that are encountered. So what do you think that good evidence means in science?

PhilX
There are numerous books devoted to scientific research method. Read one.
If this were a science forum, I would. But it's a philosophy forum (btw I already have read all the science literature I need to read).

PhilX
There are law books on evidence and philosophy books on evidence and science books on evidence. Read them. Evidence is evidence. Why are you so lazy that you think you can get a quick answer on a forum? Do your own damn research!

https://www.google.com/#q=textbooks+on+evidence
Last edited by Melchior on Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5634
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: What does good evidence mean?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:51 pm

Melchior said:

"There are law books on evidence and science books on evidence. Read them. Evidence is evidence. Why are you so lazy that you think you can get a quick answer on a forum? Do your own damn research!"

A forum is a place where you exchange ideas. Do you have any to exchange? Are you putting down the others on this forum because you think they have nothing to offer?

PhilX

Melchior
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:20 pm

Re: What does good evidence mean?

Post by Melchior » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:55 pm

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Melchior said:

"There are law books on evidence and science books on evidence. Read them. Evidence is evidence. Why are you so lazy that you think you can get a quick answer on a forum? Do your own damn research!"

A forum is a place where you exchange ideas. Do you have any to exchange? Are you putting down the others on this forum because you think they have nothing to offer?

PhilX
This question is too broad and technical to give an answer on a forum, and those who might offer answers are likely unqualified to do so. I'm sure that lawyers take several courses on evidence, so how in the world can you expect someone to provide anything useful on a forum? The question is idiotic!

Take a class!

http://web.law.columbia.edu/courses/L6241#.VS_3j8J0zcs
Last edited by Melchior on Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5634
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: What does good evidence mean?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:59 pm

Melchior wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:Melchior said:

"There are law books on evidence and science books on evidence. Read them. Evidence is evidence. Why are you so lazy that you think you can get a quick answer on a forum? Do your own damn research!"

A forum is a place where you exchange ideas. Do you have any to exchange? Are you putting down the others on this forum because you think they have nothing to offer?

PhilX
This question is too broad to give an answer on a forum, and those who might offer answers are likely unqualified to do so.
If that is so, then why do you come here?

PhilX

Melchior
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:20 pm

Re: What does good evidence mean?

Post by Melchior » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:00 pm

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Melchior wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:Melchior said:

"There are law books on evidence and science books on evidence. Read them. Evidence is evidence. Why are you so lazy that you think you can get a quick answer on a forum? Do your own damn research!"

A forum is a place where you exchange ideas. Do you have any to exchange? Are you putting down the others on this forum because you think they have nothing to offer?

PhilX
This question is too broad to give an answer on a forum, and those who might offer answers are likely unqualified to do so.
If that is so, then why do you come here?

PhilX
I am qualified by virtue of holding a degree in philosophy, which few here do. Most people on here simply blow smoke out of their asses. There is a difference between "doing philosophy" and "giving uninformed opinions". Most here do the latter. A great deal of time is devoted to issues such as evidence in a formal program of study in science, law, and related fields.

"Daddy, can you explain thermodynamics to me?"

http://corporate.findlaw.com/litigation ... dence.html

User avatar
Bill Wiltrack
Posts: 5468
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:52 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Contact:

Re: What does good evidence mean?

Post by Bill Wiltrack » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:14 am

.



That ain't my opinion - that's science. And science is a cold bitch with a 14" strap-on.
~Mazuka~
Dexter Season 3, Episode 5




.

Melchior
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:20 pm

Re: What does good evidence mean?

Post by Melchior » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:34 pm

Bill:

You have nothing of value to say on this forum, ever.

User avatar
Bill Wiltrack
Posts: 5468
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:52 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Contact:

Re: What does good evidence mean?

Post by Bill Wiltrack » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:13 pm

.


Well, what do YOU value?


...besides sweeping generalizations, false statements and attacks against fellow members?





................................................
Image





.

Melchior
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:20 pm

Re: What does good evidence mean?

Post by Melchior » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:38 pm

A moron-free zone.

User avatar
Bill Wiltrack
Posts: 5468
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:52 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Contact:

Re: What does good evidence mean?

Post by Bill Wiltrack » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:50 pm

.




No, I mean, philosophically wise. How you relate to this forum.


You see, because I've looked at all your posts and I can't find anything significant. Anything of value, philosophically.


I mean, you attack fellow members, in a crass type of way, but you don't actually ADD much of anything TO anything here.

Be an angel and provide some of your best posts right here upon this thread...ya know, for good evidence.


I'll wait.







.

Melchior
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:20 pm

Re: What does good evidence mean?

Post by Melchior » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:23 pm

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.




No, I mean, philosophically wise. How you relate to this forum.


You see, because I've looked at all your posts and I can't find anything significant. Anything of value, philosophically.


I mean, you attack fellow members, in a crass type of way, but you don't actually ADD much of anything TO anything here.

Be an angel and provide some of your best posts right here upon this thread...ya know, for good evidence.


I'll wait.







.
You are totally worthless.

User avatar
Seremonia
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:59 am
Location: Indonesia
Contact:

Re: What does good evidence mean?

Post by Seremonia » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:16 am

Good evidence means, that it could be applied on your life mostly giving good benefit, including giving a good result (later) on after life (if you believe it).

So it doesn't matter whether you had evidence from 100 persons or 1 person or ten persons, the rest must be applied on your everyday life.

So, What does good evidence mean?

Good evidence means it could be applied (at least) personally and giving beneficial for most of our life.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests