Does rainbow gravity exist?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Post Reply
Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5621
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Does rainbow gravity exist?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:05 am

LHC might give us the answer. In the meantime, here's an article that explains it and why it is a controversial theory:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... beginning/

PhilX

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5621
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Does rainbow gravity exist?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:55 am

I refer to rainbow gravity as a theory because, if true, it would account for the universe and it could tie QM with relativity. So don't take me literally on that.

PhilX

Ginkgo
Posts: 2529
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:47 pm

Re: Does rainbow gravity exist?

Post by Ginkgo » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:22 am

Philosophy Explorer wrote:I refer to rainbow gravity as a theory because, if true, it would account for the universe and it could tie QM with relativity. So don't take me literally on that.

PhilX
Strictly speaking it is a hypothesis. It has the potential to become a theory if it can provide us with testable predictions.

Yes, I think many quantum theories attempt to incorporate of general relativity to some extent. I have no idea if this theory resolves any incompatibilities when it comes to general relativity and quantum mechanics. I have never heard of it until just now.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5621
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Does rainbow gravity exist?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:01 am

I want to spell out an implication to Rainbow Gravity if LHC confirms, for the benefit of those who don't understand.

If true, what does this say about CMBR and all of the evidence for the Big Bang? Would there be a middle ground between BBT and Rainbow Gravity, can they be reconciled? (this is why I doubt Rainbow Gravity can be confirmed)

Nuff said.

PhilX

Ginkgo
Posts: 2529
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:47 pm

Re: Does rainbow gravity exist?

Post by Ginkgo » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:26 am

Philosophy Explorer wrote:I want to spell out an implication to Rainbow Gravity if LHC confirms, for the benefit of those who don't understand.

If true, what does this say about CMBR and all of the evidence for the Big Bang? Would there be a middle ground between BBT and Rainbow Gravity, can they be reconciled? (this is why I doubt Rainbow Gravity can be confirmed)

Nuff said.

PhilX
As far as I can see Rainbow Gravity theory will change nothing in relation to what happened just after the Big Bang, banged (so to speak). CMB and inflation theory will remain the same. It seems to me the proposal is more about finding a way around the idea of an initial singularity. That is, a universe that expanded out of a mathematical point of zero size and infinite density. The Big Bang was the expansion of this initial point.

If rainbow gravity were to be confirmed than I would imagine it would provide for an initial singularity that isn't just a mathematical model of infinities. Perhaps a universe that had time, but no space. Who knows?

I assume it would be possible to prove rainbow gravity if there were instruments sensitive to measure the behaviour of electromagnetic energy close to a supermassive object such as a black hole.

Others may have a different interpretation. Upon a reading of the article their guess would be as good as mine. Perhaps better.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5621
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Does rainbow gravity exist?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:44 pm

Thought I would spell out another implication to rainbow gravity. It implies the existence of the multiverse.

I bring this up because there are those who believe in the uniqueness of consciousness. With the multiverse, there would be no uniqueness which I know people would find disturbing.

Currently there's a problem with LHC that the scientists are working on. Once they get it going, we should be hearing about all types of announcements.

PhilX

User avatar
GreatandWiseTrixie
Posts: 1547
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:51 pm

Re: Does rainbow gravity exist?

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:38 am

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Thought I would spell out another implication to rainbow gravity. It implies the existence of the multiverse.

I bring this up because there are those who believe in the uniqueness of consciousness. With the multiverse, there would be no uniqueness which I know people would find disturbing.

Currently there's a problem with LHC that the scientists are working on. Once they get it going, we should be hearing about all types of announcements.

PhilX
Poor choice of words. It's not consciousness which is unique, but the organization of matter and qualia. And it's hardly unique, every hollywood trope has been done to death, there is truly nothing unique or rare under the sun. There may be an infinite amount of variations, but they are all somewhat the same. Something built with legos, still looks like legos, despite there being an infinite amount of "possibilities."

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5621
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Does rainbow gravity exist?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:15 pm

The scientists have fixed the LHC problem. By next week we may hear further announcements.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-32133876

PhilX

Further update: as I learn, you may learn. The Telegraph put out this informative article saying LHC will start their main experiments this June:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science ... ekend.html

Blaggard
Posts: 2246
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:17 pm

Re: Does rainbow gravity exist?

Post by Blaggard » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:19 pm

Yeah already know this but it's good info if you are interested in anything physical.

That said I am hoping they find the Dave particle.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests