We are unique...

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

We are unique...

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

in the animal kingdom. A gene has been identified showing that it is so:

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015 ... scientists

PhilX
GreatandWiseTrixie

Re: We are unique...

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:in the animal kingdom. A gene has been identified showing that it is so:

PhilX
Unique can mean many things. Abominable monstrosities are indeed "unique".
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:in the animal kingdom. A gene has been identified showing that it is so:

PhilX
Humans are different, not unique, unique is a very dangerous road to go down, it leads to all sorts of misconceptions about the human condition, and human superiority to other creatures.
Mic84

Post by Mic84 »

thedoc wrote:
Humans are different, not unique, unique is a very dangerous road to go down, it leads to all sorts of misconceptions about the human condition, and human superiority to other creatures.
I think being different makes that unique.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Mic84 wrote:
thedoc wrote:

I think we must define terms more carefully to avoid confusion and conflict. I am saying that humans are different but still animals, I was using unique in the sense that humans were not animals. I have heard religious people stating that people were not animals and to me this is very troubling. The claim is made that humans were a separate creation thus unique, on the other hand scientists will group humans with other animals but different, and that is how I was differentiating different and unique.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Using mice as a comparison. Brilliant. Everything is 'unique'. It's a stupid word to use.
cirin

Post by cirin »

thedoc wrote:
Mic84 wrote:
thedoc wrote:

I think we must define terms more carefully to avoid confusion and conflict. I am saying that humans are different but still animals, I was using unique in the sense that humans were not animals. I have heard religious people stating that people were not animals and to me this is very troubling. The claim is made that humans were a separate creation thus unique, on the other hand scientists will group humans with other animals but different, and that is how I was differentiating different and unique.
Still there is no reasonable explanation of human essence and it's Soul. There is a variety of theories but no harmonious concept of it. People still have not perceived the great wisdom of Life. It is still not understood what human Soul, the major directive in life, is.
The offered view builds a simple, clear construction of a man, explains his layout and co-operation with the world around him. It calls us to answer the question of how to correct the main error in sciences, religions and peoples lives – the Darvin primitive, materialistic world view. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDidxZucGw8
Mic84

Post by Mic84 »

thedoc wrote:
Mic84 wrote:
thedoc wrote:

I get it doc. :)