Is weather forecasting a science or an art?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Is weather forecasting a science or an art?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

It's snowing in Maryland right now. Problem is it wasn't expected.

Scientists are bragging that they'll be able to get weather forecasting down to the neighborhood level (with the help of satellites). Outside of handling all of that information, I think the emphasis should be on accuracy.

Will weather forecasting ever become an exact science?

PhilX
tbieter

Re: Is weather forecasting a science or an art?

Post by tbieter »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:It's snowing in Maryland right now. Problem is it wasn't expected.

Scientists are bragging that they'll be able to get weather forecasting down to the neighborhood level (with the help of satellites). Outside of handling all of that information, I think the emphasis should be on accuracy.

PhilX
The weather is a chaotic system. Thus, I doubt if meteorology can be an exact science.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteorolog ... orecasting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exact_science
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Here's the rub. If the weather is chaotic, then how can we know anything more about global warming?

PhilX
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Here's the rub. If the weather is chaotic, then how can we know anything more about global warming?

PhilX
By gathering empirical evidence.

Rush Limbaugh is a global warming denier. He claims that the global warming advocates base their claim on computer models on the future, not on empirical evidence of current events.

Before I moved from Duluth to St. Paul in 2005, I heard an advocate assert that it was already too late for the polar bears.

As far as I know, there are still polar bears, so I follow Rush and assert that the burden to produce empirical evidence is on the advocates.

I love when Rush occasionally says: "Now, don't doubt me!"

Mic84

Post by Mic84 »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:It's snowing in Maryland right now. Problem is it wasn't expected.

PhilX
Someday, I hope.