The Theory of Evolution - perfect?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: The Theory of Evolution - perfect?

Post by Arising_uk »

thedoc wrote:A mutation that causes a reproductive advantage would be a change in the environment. The environment includes everything, external and internal.
I take your point.
Arising_uk

Re: The Theory of Evolution - perfct?

Post by Arising_uk »

Wow! What a hotch-potch of eurocentrism and old myths.
Dubious wrote:Nearly 5000 years of history, in which they accomplished nearly nothing, ...
How about 5000 years of history? Plus the list of first inventions is pretty good given the time they were invented.
overpopulation ...
And yet they've managed to manage such for 5000 years?
and they still believe rhino horns and suchlike are aphrodisiacs. ...
Except that the Chinese pretty much ended this trade in the 90's by removing it from their 'chemists' stocks where it was mainly believed to help liver problems. The current surge in rhino poaching is due to Vietnamese millionaires believing that it can cure cancer due to a myth about a politician being cured by it and that it is now seen as a 'party-drug' like cocaine and a hangover cure(the liver link).
How they treat animals - we all know what they do to dogs and cats - is beyond description. ...
Much of Asia and parts of India eats dog why single out China? Given our industrial meat production system I hardly think we should be crowing about our humanity.
They're also known as one of the most arrogant people on the planet ...
I guess 5000 years of history might well foster a sense of superiority
and yet the West made this disgusting, decrepit "civilization" into a super power.
Not really, they were the pre-eminent power in their area for thousands of years and were the hub of a massive trading system, it was them themselves that let it all go but now they are just reasserting their historical place.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Arising_uk wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:00 pm
Dubious wrote:and yet the West made this disgusting, decrepit "civilization" into a super power.
Not really, they were the pre-eminent power in their area for thousands of years and were the hub of a massive trading system, it was them themselves that let it all go but now they are just reasserting their historical place.
At the end of WWII the US rebuilt the Axis powers by sending new industrial equipment to rebuild the industries that had been destroyed. They got it backwards, they should have replaced all the Used equipment of US industry that had been used to make the products to defeat the Axis, and sent the used equipment to rebuild the Axis powers. The way it was is that the former Axis powers industry had new equipment and the Us industry had to make do with used equipment and the industry itself had the expense of replacing equipment as it wore out.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

thedoc wrote:At the end of WWII the US rebuilt the Axis powers by sending new industrial equipment to rebuild the industries that had been destroyed. They got it backwards, they should have replaced all the Used equipment of US industry that had been used to make the products to defeat the Axis, and sent the used equipment to rebuild the Axis powers. The way it was is that the former Axis powers industry had new equipment and the Us industry had to make do with used equipment and the industry itself had the expense of replacing equipment as it wore out.
No idea what this has to do with Evolution nor China but America loaned the money to those nations to buy their new equipment in their national interest which they thought was to oppose the Soviets and to make a few a lot of bucks but they were paid back with the interest and they sold a lot of new equipment to boot. The major mistake America made was not listening to W. Edwards Deming's ideas about management incompetence and quality control in manufacturing industry but I doubt even if they did they'd have been able to do what the Japanese did as your people are mainly only interested in individualism and not the collective, although it did not help that there were vested interests in industry that resisted change and didn't like being called incompetent and it did help the Japanese that their industrial base had been destroyed so they could start from scratch and were open to the lesson learnt from their defeat.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

thedoc wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:40 pm
Hobbes' Choice wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:03 pm
thedoc wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:48 pm Evolution is a biological process, any other application is a misuse of the term.
I'd go further...
It is the end result of a set of biological processes. The result of these processes, not as some seem to offer a cause, but an effect.
The cause is the environment, if the environment doesn't change there is no change to the organism. (An environment also includes whatever predator prey relationship there is.)
How naive of you. imputing a single cause is childish.
The environment can stay the same and living things still change, not that they are distinct from the environment.
You are shooting yourself in the foot, talking nonsense.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Dubious wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:04 am
thedoc wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:26 am
Dubious wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:02 am

I haven't seen that but I have seen other instances of it. Not for the squeamish, that's for sure!

What I find much more disturbing is what poachers do to animals as in cutting off the horns of a rhino with a chain saw. Half of its face was missing but still alive! What I wouldn't do to those sub-humans doesn't exist in whatever numbers necessary and in full public view. Vlad the impaler's methodologies is a good way to begin and I don't mean that figuratively.
I agree, Vlad the Impaler was tame to what I could think of as what to do with those who disfigure an animal for stupid unsupported ideas. Shark fin soup is another one, human trafficking is another and it all comes from the same place.
Nearly 5000 years of history, in which they accomplished nearly nothing, overpopulation and they still believe rhino horns and suchlike are aphrodisiacs. How they treat animals - we all know what they do to dogs and cats - is beyond description. They're also known as one of the most arrogant people on the planet and yet the West made this disgusting, decrepit "civilization" into a super power.
FFS.
240 years of History and what has the USA achieved??? Donald fucking Trump.
At least China knows how to deal with Korea.

There are many things in which China is way ahead of the USA. The first thing that comes to mind is unity and social cohesion, another is the ability to put leaders in charge who know what the fuck they are doing.
If the USA had half Chinas population its political system, such as it is, would be unable to cope.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:09 pm
thedoc wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:26 am

I agree, Vlad the Impaler was tame to what I could think of as what to do with those who disfigure an animal for stupid unsupported ideas. Shark fin soup is another one, human trafficking is another and it all comes from the same place.
Nearly 5000 years of history, in which they accomplished nearly nothing, overpopulation and they still believe rhino horns and suchlike are aphrodisiacs. How they treat animals - we all know what they do to dogs and cats - is beyond description. They're also known as one of the most arrogant people on the planet and yet the West made this disgusting, decrepit "civilization" into a super power.
FFS.
...forever the fucking idiot! I mean YOU though Trump's one too!
Walker

Post by Walker »

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

How are Darwin's doubts doing? As we're still waiting to hear what they were from you.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Dubious wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:29 pm

FFS.
You seemed to have conveniently neglected to address the points in my post, coward.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:07 pm
thedoc wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:40 pm The cause is the environment, if the environment doesn't change there is no change to the organism. (An environment also includes whatever predator prey relationship there is.)
How naive of you. imputing a single cause is childish.
The environment can stay the same and living things still change, not that they are distinct from the environment.
You are shooting yourself in the foot, talking nonsense.
Can you give me an example of an organism that has changed where its environment has not changed at all?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Arising_uk wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:33 pm
thedoc wrote:At the end of WWII the US rebuilt the Axis powers by sending new industrial equipment to rebuild the industries that had been destroyed. They got it backwards, they should have replaced all the Used equipment of US industry that had been used to make the products to defeat the Axis, and sent the used equipment to rebuild the Axis powers. The way it was is that the former Axis powers industry had new equipment and the Us industry had to make do with used equipment and the industry itself had the expense of replacing equipment as it wore out.
No idea what this has to do with Evolution nor China but America loaned the money to those nations to buy their new equipment in their national interest which they thought was to oppose the Soviets and to make a few a lot of bucks but they were paid back with the interest and they sold a lot of new equipment to boot. The major mistake America made was not listening to W. Edwards Deming's ideas about management incompetence and quality control in manufacturing industry but I doubt even if they did they'd have been able to do what the Japanese did as your people are mainly only interested in individualism and not the collective, although it did not help that there were vested interests in industry that resisted change and didn't like being called incompetent and it did help the Japanese that their industrial base had been destroyed so they could start from scratch and were open to the lesson learnt from their defeat.
Nothing really to do with evolution, I was just answering a previous post that was also off topic.

BTW, I worked in machine shops where some people worked that had lived through the period and this is what they were saying.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:50 pm
Dubious wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:29 pm
FFS.
You seemed to have conveniently neglected to address the points in my post, coward.

Really!! That's all they achieved!! If they converted your brains to plywood you'd be at least twice as intelligent.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Arising_uk wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:22 pm How are Darwin's doubts doing? As we're still waiting to hear what they were from you.
Still stuck in a world of your own interpretation and creation, perpetually peering to aft and not helm, still dull to the principle, of this there is no doubt.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Walker wrote:Still stuck in a world of your own interpretation and creation, perpetually peering to aft and not helm, still dull to the principle, of this there is no doubt. ...
:lol: You know when I know you're obfuscating, when the drivel comes out.

Tell me you're not a creationist then, no don't tell me you're an IDer. :lol:
Last edited by Arising_uk on Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.