Science needs more... Women!

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

skakos

Re: Science needs more... Women!

Post by skakos » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:02 pm

HexHammer wrote:Unfortunaly due to genetics, less women has the mental aptitude for brainy things. Even in e-sports where physics doesn't matter, such video games as shooting games, women never reach the top 10, why any pro sports has women and men leagues.
According to which researcher? Mengele?

HexHammer

Post by HexHammer » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:18 pm

skakos wrote:
HexHammer wrote:Unfortunaly due to genetics, less women has the mental aptitude for brainy things. Even in e-sports where physics doesn't matter, such video games as shooting games, women never reach the top 10, why any pro sports has women and men leagues.
According to which researcher? Mengele?
Can't remembe was but a little boy back then, but what do you observe when you see sports, gender seperation, sure in rare open tournaments female can compete against men, but in general it's very strictly seperation.

3Sum

Post by 3Sum » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:49 pm

I personally believe that women can give science what it currently lacks: A more spiritual and holistic view to the problems of the cosmos. We have treated universe as a machine for too long. It is time to look at things from a different angle...
Yeaaah.... we already have religion. Science never needed religion. Religion, on the other hand, always updated it's doctrines according to new scientific research. Religion needs science, not the other way around. Why wouldn't we incorporate science into religion instead?
A research in Yale showed that between two candidates with EXACTLY THE SAME qualifications who applied for a job at a research center, the man is much more likely to be hired. And it is quite startling that this preference to men is also shown by women as well!
I agree that if that really happens, it's sad. If 2 people have exactly the same qualifications the gender shouldn't be the deciding factor. However, considering the radical feminists spreading all sorts of lies I seriously doubt that's how it is. In my country everybody has the same opportunities and rights (as far as I know).

I'd say that philosophy needs more women, but not because they're better or worse at it, purely because I'm interested in the philosophical opinions of the opposite sex too. I haven't heard of a single female philosopher before about 1800.

HexHammer women are different than man, but I wouldn't say in a bad way. F.e. men on general are physically stronger and faster while women are more flexible and balanced. Although when talking about e sports I think that we MAYBE should also consider the fact that very few girls are gamers and even fewer care about gaming enough to make it their career (and no, I don't think a girl playing Angry Birds, Candy Crush and Sims qualifies as a gamer)