What is the cause of random quantum fluctuations?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Kuznetzova

Post by Kuznetzova »

Do random quantum fluctuations have no cause?
Cerveny

Re: What is the cause of random quantum fluctuations?

Post by Cerveny »

Kuznetzova wrote:What is the cause of random quantum fluctuations?
By my point of view it is just the touch of the "uncaused" (or odd-caused) "Future". The presence is the place (interface) where the history (the order) is born. See the thread "What is a universe?"...
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

To use a 2D analogy, I suspect that the 'quantum foam' is a bit like a duckpond in the rain, with literally incalculable waves and deformations(photons and neutrinos mostly). Some of these cancel out, some will add up to give properties that mark them out as 'particles'. Actually, the question highlights a flaw in my metaphysics; I can't work out why matter and anti-matter (as Hawking radiation demands) should be produced in such conditions. I could cobble together some ad hoc flim-flammery, but I'm not a scientist.
Cerveny, you keep saying 'presence'; I wonder if in fact you mean 'present'.
Notvacka

Post by Notvacka »

Kuznetzova wrote:What is the cause of random quantum fluctuations?

Are you trolling? The "cause" of quantum randomness is beyond our observation, theoretically as well as practically. (Heisenberg, you know.) Since science only deals with the observable, your question is not a scientific question. It's possible that the randomness is caused by our limited powers of observation, but since we can't know that, it makes no difference. The unobservable remains unknown.
Kuznetzova

Post by Kuznetzova »

Notvacka wrote: The "cause" of quantum randomness is beyond our observation, theoretically as well as practically. (Heisenberg, you know.) Since science only deals with the observable, your question is not a scientific question. It's possible that the randomness is caused by our limited powers of observation, but since we can't know that, it makes no difference. The unobservable remains unknown.
Except that secular humanists of every stripe strut around triumphantly declaring the following story is perfectly rational: Magical Vacuum Instability Faeries randomly get in the mood to create entire universes from nothing at all.

Ya know, sort of like the evil demons who reside in the stomach and cause illness. Or the witches who have psychic powers. Or the mediums who channel dead people during seances. All perfectly rational!