axiomatic-theorem buildings

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

van

axiomatic-theorem buildings

Post by van »

One derives idea C to be true from idea B and idea B is derived from idea A. How does one know A is true? A is an axiom, postulate or assumption. It may or may not be true. It follows then that idea B,C,... are theorems derived from A. When one builds up these complexes, we can call them axiomatic-theorem buildings w/c lie on the mindscape. Idea A could and should always be under a skeptical watch. We should never truly like A and we should be overtly aware that A is often very easy to like (if we discard A=> B,C...must fall as well if if we derived these correctly from A=> a philosophophical breakdown of ideas and a empty void ie first we thought we had something,axiomatic-theorem building,now we know we have nothing). One can strive to believe that it is better to have one axiomatic-theorem building in one's landscape that is built of steel than an infinite array of axiomatic-theorem buildings made of paper.
Non Sum

Post by Non Sum »

Hi Van,
V: One can strive to 'believe' that it is better to have one axiomatic-theorem building in one's landscape that is built of steel than an infinite array of axiomatic-theorem buildings made of paper.

NS: Even 'steel' is just a temporary state twixt dirt and rust. As bio-degradable as 'paper.'
If I understand you rightly, Van, you're a Skeptic with little faith in irrefutable "A's"? Or, do you have a sure and certain 'A' in mind, or in belief?
van

Post by van »

hello NS, appreciate any feedback. Why is it better to have a mindscape of steel buildings vs paper? From a feedback point of view, because the laws of nature answer to our axiomatic-theorem buildings (ATB). eg. rocket science without the laws of thermodynamics, Newtons laws etc. What about when 6 y.o. believes in satan clause, or a religious person believes 72 virgins are waiting, would not a paper ATB be of better value than a steel ATB for these folk? These people believe these ideas generally from factors unrelated to critical thinking ie a feeling in the gut, a guru, culture etc. In these cases yes, but no for society as it leads to dogma, digressed knowledge(creationism) etc. Lastly, i have faith in irrefutable A's, but i would like to think i'd dump these A's faster than a kick in the head if refuted.