The Atheist Movement Will Restore the Human Soul

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

myopiastore

Re: The Atheist Movement Will Restore the Human Soul

Post by myopiastore »

It depends on what you mean by soul
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.
..[/color][/size]Image
ohhhh. look at da prity pictor!!!

Sorry . the deeply philosophical pretty picture.

ahhhh
windy36

Post by windy36 »

chaz wyman wrote:
windy36 wrote:If no God helps us with morality, how can we improve morality?

How? In exactly the same way that we have done since the dawn of time, before god was even invented.

Morality among many people I meet is lacking.

In your opinion; by your personal standards, not by their own.

I try to be moral, but others around me act immoral.

I think you are acting immorally because you assume that your attempts at morality are better than everyone else's. And that is exactly the problem with religion and why people are abandoning it in droves.
It is not for you to say with whom I sleep. What I eat, what I wear, not how I talk to others.

If morality is all there is, and people believe they can improve themselves morally why are people not doing it?

Why don't you improve your own morality by accepting others for themselves, and allowing them to live their own lives free from your judgement?

Why do we not have a perfect universe then if everyone knows what they should be doing?

Because your ways have been tried. Priests have told us the right way to behave whilst buggering little children, exploiting girls in laundries; abusing those with mental health problems ad infinite.
Your ways have been tried and have failed.

Can people be all that encouraged to be a moral slave to a immoral universe? If everyone has different opinions about morality because truth is subjective then there is going to be conflict which no one or a God (if he exists) can resolve since objective morality doesn't exist.

The problem IS the belief in objective morality. There can never be a one size fits all.

I am insulted you call me immoral. I am not name calling anyone or calling anyone immoral. I have my opinions about morality and you have your opinions about morality. So since you do not know me don't make judgements on me by calling me immoral. I didn't call you immoral, so why are you calling me immoral?
Godfree

Post by Godfree »

myopiastore wrote:It depends on what you mean by soul
What is a soul to you ,??
to me , a soul/spirit is a term of ignorance , an incorrect assumption ,
those who imagine we live after death , imagine part of us is immortal ,
and it's that spirit/soul , thats the bit they imagine goes to heaven .
You could just as easily describe it as character ,or personality ,
but thats taking out the god particle , so believers don't see it as the same ,.
Godfree

Post by Godfree »

Because your ways have been tried. Priests have told us the right way to behave whilst buggering little children, exploiting girls in laundries; abusing those with mental health problems ad infinite.
Your ways have been tried and have failed.[/color]

Can people be all that encouraged to be a moral slave to a immoral universe? If everyone has different opinions about morality because truth is subjective then there is going to be conflict which no one or a God (if he exists) can resolve since objective morality doesn't exist.[/quote]

The problem IS the belief in objective morality. There can never be a one size fits all.
[/quote]

I am insulted you call me immoral. I am not name calling anyone or calling anyone immoral. I have my opinions about morality and you have your opinions about morality. So since you do not know me don't make judgements on me by calling me immoral. I didn't call you immoral, so why are you calling me immoral?[/quote]

I believe Chaz is right ,you have insulted us with your idea that you are/can judge who or what moral is ,,!!!
who gave you the knowledge to know who is or is not moral , can you not see,
you are just one voice in 7 billion , one opinion of what moral is or is not ,
my opinion of what is moral will differ greatly from yours , which one is right you think ,
is there a right and wrong when it comes to understanding ones own perspective of the world ,
Reality is an individual experience ,,
Reality is subjective ,
Over half the world imagines forcing religious madness on to their children is moral ,
and I would say they are insane , and abusing their children ,
Reality is indeed an individual experience ,,,
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

windy36 wrote:

I am insulted you call me immoral. I am not name calling anyone or calling anyone immoral. I have my opinions about morality and you have your opinions about morality. So since you do not know me don't make judgements on me by calling me immoral. I didn't call you immoral, so why are you calling me immoral?
Good, then I have your attention.
I'll repeat exactly what I mean.
A person that believes that there can only be one objective morality, and suggests that should be applied universally, ignores the rich cultural diversity of the world. That is immoral. To ignore the moral and ethical positions of others is unacceptable.
You share this position with many great figures in history; Hitler, Jesus, Moses, Ghengis Khan, and Tomás de Torquemada.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

chaz wyman wrote:A person that believes that there can only be one objective morality, and suggests that should be applied universally, ignores the rich cultural diversity of the world.
Diversity is a stupid academic term foisted on us by left-wing academics who have done so much to destroy the fabric of society.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

bobevenson wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:A person that believes that there can only be one objective morality, and suggests that should be applied universally, ignores the rich cultural diversity of the world.
Diversity is a stupid academic term foisted on us by left-wing academics who have done so much to destroy the fabric of society.
Since you are in a minority of one, the only way you could survive in the real world is for other to accept your eccentricity in a context of diversity.

You are a walking, talking contradiction on so many levels, including your participation on this "FREE" website.