The Atheist Movement Will Restore the Human Soul

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

SecularCauses
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:06 am

The Atheist Movement Will Restore the Human Soul

Post by SecularCauses »

While many people, including those here with philosophy backgrounds, despise atheists, let me explain why atheism is one of the best ideas going. Atheism rejects all superstitious claims and recognizes the truth of the matter, we really are on our own. No god will save us, hand us a magical cure, make our suffering go away. We are on our own, and because we are on our own, we are dependent on each other for our very survival. We must work together and find our own way, because there is no magical being in the sky who will do it for us.

As atheists, we believe that no ethics came from on high. We reject the idea that any people have been chosen, whether Jew, Christian, Muslim, German, Greek, Hindu, etc. The way to knowledge is to use our ability to reason and explore the cosmos; and, therefore, every people may share equally in this discovery.

As atheists, we reject the idea that we may not question what people tell us about morality. We do not believe that morality has been set in stone by some magical being in the sky. We believe those making such claims are mistaken. That any person's opinion on morality is subject to question; that we even have an obligation to question, to improve upon ethics and morality. We believe that each of us has this right, that no one should have to bow down unquestioningly to someone claiming to be acting under orders of a higher authority. We reject fascism as a way of life, that one must blindly follow orders.

We believe that this life is more than likely all there is. Therefore, we should not waste the time we have on hateful bickering about superstitious nonsense, but get on with dealing with reality, which is the best shot we have at making all of our lives better.

We believe there is dignity in facing reality head on and not hiding behind myths to make us feel better about our lives and the threats we face. We believe the time has come to rid ourselves of religious divisions. The fighting among each other over whose "god" is the "right god" is a waste of energy we are all better off without. The struggle serves no legitimate purpose, because all of the contestants are wong, and there can be no winner in such a contest.

In short, we believe in restoring dignity to humanity. And what else is human dignity if not the human soul? It is the religious who want to rob you of your soul, not the atheists.
chaz wyman
Posts: 5305
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:31 pm

Re: The Atheist Movement Will Restore the Human Soul

Post by chaz wyman »

SecularCauses wrote:While many people, including those here with philosophy backgrounds, despise atheists, let me explain why atheism is one of the best ideas going. Atheism rejects all superstitious claims and recognizes the truth of the matter, we really are on our own. No god will save us, hand us a magical cure, make our suffering go away. We are on our own, and because we are on our own, we are dependent on each other for our very survival. We must work together and find our own way, because there is no magical being in the sky who will do it for us.

As atheists, we believe that no ethics came from on high. We reject the idea that any people have been chosen, whether Jew, Christian, Muslim, German, Greek, Hindu, etc. The way to knowledge is to use our ability to reason and explore the cosmos; and, therefore, every people may share equally in this discovery.

As atheists, we reject the idea that we may not question what people tell us about morality. We do not believe that morality has been set in stone by some magical being in the sky. We believe those making such claims are mistaken. That any person's opinion on morality is subject to question; that we even have an obligation to question, to improve upon ethics and morality. We believe that each of us has this right, that no one should have to bow down unquestioningly to someone claiming to be acting under orders of a higher authority. We reject fascism as a way of life, that one must blindly follow orders.

We believe that this life is more than likely all there is. Therefore, we should not waste the time we have on hateful bickering about superstitious nonsense, but get on with dealing with reality, which is the best shot we have at making all of our lives better.

We believe there is dignity in facing reality head on and not hiding behind myths to make us feel better about our lives and the threats we face. We believe the time has come to rid ourselves of religious divisions. The fighting among each other over whose "god" is the "right god" is a waste of energy we are all better off without. The struggle serves no legitimate purpose, because all of the contestants are wong, and there can be no winner in such a contest.

In short, we believe in restoring dignity to humanity. And what else is human dignity if not the human soul? It is the religious who want to rob you of your soul, not the atheists.
Two superstitions, two problems.

1) The 'soul' is the biggest superstition of them all.
2) The next superstition is the use of the 'Royal We"; the myth that one person can speak for all atheists.
Mike Strand
Posts: 406
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:54 am
Location: USA

Re: The Atheist Movement Will Restore the Human Soul

Post by Mike Strand »

To SecularCauses: Your topic is well and clearly written and makes a good case for me as a human being to take responsibility for my own well-being and behavior and attitude toward myself and others. This should be my priority, regardless of my religious affiliation or lack thereof.

And thanks, chaz, for reminding me of the royal "we". Your comment reminds me of my other goal of avoiding the finger-pointing or presumptive "you". So, instead of writing something like, "If you believe X and Y, then you are drawn to conclude Z", or the other version you have cautioned against, "If we assume X and Y, then we are drawn to conclude Z", I now intend instead to write: "If I believe X and Y, then I am drawn to conclude Z". And instead of writing, "You are a horse's ass", I try to write, "I think you're a horse's ass" -- you and SecularCauses excluded here, of course!

chaz, regarding your comment about "soul": For me, "mind" or "freedom of thought" or "conscience" are examples of good replacements for "soul".

Not as stimulating or provocative in many settings, maybe, but I believe these conventions, applied where possible, can change the tone of written communications for the better.
chaz wyman
Posts: 5305
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:31 pm

Re: The Atheist Movement Will Restore the Human Soul

Post by chaz wyman »

Mike Strand wrote:To SecularCauses: Your topic is well and clearly written and makes a good case for me as a human being to take responsibility for my own well-being and behavior and attitude toward myself and others. This should be my priority, regardless of my religious affiliation or lack thereof.

And thanks, chaz, for reminding me of the royal "we". Your comment reminds me of my other goal of avoiding the finger-pointing or presumptive "you". So, instead of writing something like, "If you believe X and Y, then you are drawn to conclude Z", or the other version you have cautioned against, "If we assume X and Y, then we are drawn to conclude Z", I now intend instead to write: "If I believe X and Y, then I am drawn to conclude Z". And instead of writing, "You are a horse's ass", I try to write, "I think you're a horse's ass" -- you and SecularCauses excluded here, of course!

chaz, regarding your comment about "soul": For me, "mind" or "freedom of thought" or "conscience" are examples of good replacements for "soul".

Not as stimulating or provocative in many settings, maybe, but I believe these conventions, applied where possible, can change the tone of written communications for the better.
I think it is better to avoid words that are so old as they come with too much baggage to let go. So long have people been talking about issues they can never have understood, there are few words connected with it, that few escape connotations: spirit, soul, Ka, essence.
Soul has to be a concept that does not need replacing because that which underlies the term is false. Soul is definitively extra-somatic and dualistic. It is either rejected or supported. Either we consider the consciousness as a physical phenomenon, or as a thing incorporeal.
User avatar
Khalid
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:23 am
Contact:

Re: The Atheist Movement Will Restore the Human Soul

Post by Khalid »

if I shall represent the other point of view , I'd like to say that I believe as a muslim that if there is a soccer football match between Saudi Arabia and another team in the world cup , and Saudi Arabian people decided to go to the holiest spot of Mecca in front of the Kaaba praying and asking God by the most supplicating words ever to make them win , the winner will be the team who made better preparations and used better strategy and nothing actually in this religion says that just because I believe and pray there will be a magical power given to us . And the first word mentioned in the Koran is "read" , read is first word of the Koran and God tells in a specific verse about the best way to discover and acknowledge him , in the verse 20 Al-Ankabut , "Say: "Travel in the land and see how God originated creation, and then God will bring forth (resurrect) the creation of the Hereafter (i.e. resurrection after death). Verily, God is Able to do all things."" ,
So didn't you notice that the earth was prepared to human and created for us . Haven't you seen that an insect produces one of the most benefiting and curable liquids ever which is honey ? Haven't you seen that horses and camels used to be one of the most important things in human's life as over all ages and civilizations before 20th century and industrial revolution ? Have you seen the plants that store water in the middle of desert ? fish , cattle , plants , insects and everything around you was prepared for you . The percentage of oxygen , Nitrogen and other gases . The solar system , the hearing , the eyes and everything was made perfectly by a perfect God who gave you a life and a period of 65 years averagely , given freedom of choice and action , then you die and be judged . So this is why I believe in God and this doesn't prohibit me from also believing in science and materialistic reason but I believe there is a source of science and materialistic reason . And finally because I believe there is a meaning of life deeper than " the apple falls to the ground because of gravity and I die when my heart simply stops and become a dead body and return the nothingness I came from " .
SecularCauses
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:06 am

Re: The Atheist Movement Will Restore the Human Soul

Post by SecularCauses »

Khalid wrote:if I shall represent the other point of view , I'd like to say that I believe as a muslim that if there is a soccer football match between Saudi Arabia and another team in the world cup , and Saudi Arabian people decided to go to the holiest spot of Mecca in front of the Kaaba praying and asking God by the most supplicating words ever to make them win , the winner will be the team who made better preparations and used better strategy and nothing actually in this religion says that just because I believe and pray there will be a magical power given to us . And the first word mentioned in the Koran is "read" , read is first word of the Koran and God tells in a specific verse about the best way to discover and acknowledge him , in the verse 20 Al-Ankabut , "Say: "Travel in the land and see how God originated creation, and then God will bring forth (resurrect) the creation of the Hereafter (i.e. resurrection after death). Verily, God is Able to do all things."" ,
So didn't you notice that the earth was prepared to human and created for us . Haven't you seen that an insect produces one of the most benefiting and curable liquids ever which is honey ? Haven't you seen that horses and camels used to be one of the most important things in human's life as over all ages and civilizations before 20th century and industrial revolution ? Have you seen the plants that store water in the middle of desert ? fish , cattle , plants , insects and everything around you was prepared for you . The percentage of oxygen , Nitrogen and other gases . The solar system , the hearing , the eyes and everything was made perfectly by a perfect God who gave you a life and a period of 65 years averagely , given freedom of choice and action , then you die and be judged . So this is why I believe in God and this doesn't prohibit me from also believing in science and materialistic reason but I believe there is a source of science and materialistic reason . And finally because I believe there is a meaning of life deeper than " the apple falls to the ground because of gravity and I die when my heart simply stops and become a dead body and return the nothingness I came from " .
The earth was prepared for us? That's why it took the universe more than 10 billion years just to fuse hydrogen into heavier elements, so we could even have human life forms? That's why the earth is about four billions years old, while humanoids have only been alive during the slightest fraction of that time? That's why we are designed with mostly surplus, useless DNA, because we were perfectly designed? That's why there is an extra centromere on the second human chromosome, because of perfect design, and not because evolution fused chromosomes together? That's why the Second Law of Thermodynamics exists, because god is perfect? That's why most of the planet does not sustain human life, and we are living on the edge of a knife with respect to maintaining a living environment on earth? Haven't you seen plague? Earthquakes? Tidal waves? Floods? Hurricanes? Is that what Islam teaches you? To be extremely selective in your observations, to the point of being blind to what is really out there? The universe is homogenuous at the level of a cube of a 100 billion light years per side. Now, that is a heck of a lot of empty space if some god existed and humans were the crowning achievement of it all.

A perfect god that allows how many children on earth to die before the age of 5? That's a perfect god? Your religion has trained you to believe in a delusion, and so you do. There is not one shred of credible evidence for the existence of your god, and a huge amount of evidence against. And how can a god judge anyone and be moral, since free will does not exist? Your belief in allah is a delusion, your belief in a perfect world is a delusion, your belief in a moral god that judges people is a delusion.
User avatar
Khalid
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:23 am
Contact:

Re: The Atheist Movement Will Restore the Human Soul

Post by Khalid »

SecularCauses wrote:The earth was prepared for us? That's why it took the universe more than 10 billion years just to fuse hydrogen into heavier elements, so we could even have human life forms? That's why the earth is about four billions years old, while humanoids have only been alive during the slightest fraction of that time?
Why are you so concerned about the period of time the universe took to become in it's final shape or form after the big bang? and why does it matter? Maybe our measures of time are tottaly different from God's measure of time .
That's why we are designed with mostly surplus, useless DNA, because we were perfectly designed? That's why there is an extra centromere on the second human chromosome, because of perfect design, and not because evolution fused chromosomes together? That's why the Second Law of Thermodynamics exists, because god is perfect?
I promise to make a deep search about that and reply , but with that amazing developement in knowledge and science we have today , I suggest one of atheist scientists create a fly , if he creates a living from nothingness that would demolish the idea of God .
That's why most of the planet does not sustain human life, and we are living on the edge of a knife with respect to maintaining a living environment on earth?
That is our guilty in the 21th century and in fact the Koran predicted this corruption taking place today on the land and in the seas and it discourages and prohibits pollution , corruption , cuting a tree , hurting an animal and any harm we might do to the environment .
Haven't you seen plague? Earthquakes? Tidal waves? Floods? Hurricanes?.....

A perfect god that allows how many children on earth to die before the age of 5? That's a perfect god?

Simply if there was no evil , good would've been meaningless , no cold there would be no hot , if no death then no meaning in the word life and God controls destiny , he's the one who gives life and takes it . Just believe in destiny and say my life and time of death are in the hands of God , if you do so then you will not be worried .
There is not one shred of credible evidence for the existence of your god, and a huge amount of evidence against.
[45:4] Verily in the heavens and the earth are Signs for those who believe.
[45:5] And in your own creation and in that of all the creatures which He scatters in the earth are Signs for a people who possess firm faith.
[45:6] And in the alternation of night and day, and the provision that Allah sends down from the sky, whereby He quickens the earth after its death, and in the change of the winds, are Signs for a people who try to understand.
And how can a god judge anyone and be moral, since free will does not exist?
[67:3] Who has created death and life that He might try you — which of you is best in deeds; and He is the Mighty, the Most Forgiving.

So he gave you the freedom of will , then told you the right and worng , good and evil , in order to test you , your soul and see what path will you take in life .
SecularCauses
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:06 am

Re: The Atheist Movement Will Restore the Human Soul

Post by SecularCauses »

Khalid wrote:
SecularCauses wrote:The earth was prepared for us? That's why it took the universe more than 10 billion years just to fuse hydrogen into heavier elements, so we could even have human life forms? That's why the earth is about four billions years old, while humanoids have only been alive during the slightest fraction of that time?
Why are you so concerned about the period of time the universe took to become in it's final shape or form after the big bang? and why does it matter? Maybe our measures of time are tottaly different from God's measure of time .
That's why we are designed with mostly surplus, useless DNA, because we were perfectly designed? That's why there is an extra centromere on the second human chromosome, because of perfect design, and not because evolution fused chromosomes together? That's why the Second Law of Thermodynamics exists, because god is perfect?
I promise to make a deep search about that and reply , but with that amazing developement in knowledge and science we have today , I suggest one of atheist scientists create a fly , if he creates a living from nothingness that would demolish the idea of God .
That's why most of the planet does not sustain human life, and we are living on the edge of a knife with respect to maintaining a living environment on earth?
That is our guilty in the 21th century and in fact the Koran predicted this corruption taking place today on the land and in the seas and it discourages and prohibits pollution , corruption , cuting a tree , hurting an animal and any harm we might do to the environment .
Haven't you seen plague? Earthquakes? Tidal waves? Floods? Hurricanes?.....

A perfect god that allows how many children on earth to die before the age of 5? That's a perfect god?

Simply if there was no evil , good would've been meaningless , no cold there would be no hot , if no death then no meaning in the word life and God controls destiny , he's the one who gives life and takes it . Just believe in destiny and say my life and time of death are in the hands of God , if you do so then you will not be worried .
There is not one shred of credible evidence for the existence of your god, and a huge amount of evidence against.
[45:4] Verily in the heavens and the earth are Signs for those who believe.
[45:5] And in your own creation and in that of all the creatures which He scatters in the earth are Signs for a people who possess firm faith.
[45:6] And in the alternation of night and day, and the provision that Allah sends down from the sky, whereby He quickens the earth after its death, and in the change of the winds, are Signs for a people who try to understand.
And how can a god judge anyone and be moral, since free will does not exist?
[67:3] Who has created death and life that He might try you — which of you is best in deeds; and He is the Mighty, the Most Forgiving.

So he gave you the freedom of will , then told you the right and worng , good and evil , in order to test you , your soul and see what path will you take in life .
SecularCauses
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:06 am

Re: The Atheist Movement Will Restore the Human Soul

Post by SecularCauses »

Khalid wrote:
SecularCauses wrote:The earth was prepared for us? That's why it took the universe more than 10 billion years just to fuse hydrogen into heavier elements, so we could even have human life forms? That's why the earth is about four billions years old, while humanoids have only been alive during the slightest fraction of that time?
Why are you so concerned about the period of time the universe took to become in it's final shape or form after the big bang? and why does it matter? Maybe our measures of time are tottaly different from God's measure of time .

The reason why the time is important, as well as the size of the cosmos is because the entire notion of Islam, Christianity and Judaism that everything was created for the ultimate goal of creating humans is just ridiculous on its face. If making humans was the goal, then there sure was a lot of wasted time and effort in the process. This is exactly why the creation myth shared by these three religions fails to mention what really happened. It also shows that there was no divine revelation, and the koran, buybull and torah are all fictions. If a god existed that created the cosmos, then that god would not have told someone that the earth was created in six days and that an Adam and Eve were created. This is proof that these religions are false.
That's why we are designed with mostly surplus, useless DNA, because we were perfectly designed? That's why there is an extra centromere on the second human chromosome, because of perfect design, and not because evolution fused chromosomes together? That's why the Second Law of Thermodynamics exists, because god is perfect?
I promise to make a deep search about that and reply , but with that amazing developement in knowledge and science we have today , I suggest one of atheist scientists create a fly , if he creates a living from nothingness that would demolish the idea of God .

That's an irrational argument. The facts are in, and molecular biology has poven we are not intelligently designed, even at the molecular level, this is obvious. There are 3.2 billion base pairs, only a fraction of which, like 2.5% are involved in coding for genes. Even if we assumed that 50% of the remaining DNA helped in the regulation of those genes, that still leaves a huge number of genes in numerous cells throughout the human body that take up needless energy when cells are reproduced. No intelligent engineer or designer would do such a thing. Feel free to research till your heart's content, I have never seen any religious fundie, ever, come up with a response, even those holding medical degrees. There simply is no counter for your side to make.
That's why most of the planet does not sustain human life, and we are living on the edge of a knife with respect to maintaining a living environment on earth?
That is our guilty in the 21th century and in fact the Koran predicted this corruption taking place today on the land and in the seas and it discourages and prohibits pollution , corruption , cuting a tree , hurting an animal and any harm we might do to the environment .

It has nothing to do with us. The world is still a hostile place, no matter how enviro-friendly we become, earth is not designed for human habitation. The reason we survive in the numbers we have is not because the earth makes a perfect home, but because we used science to create technology. How many people would freeze to death this winter without modern technology?
Haven't you seen plague? Earthquakes? Tidal waves? Floods? Hurricanes?.....

A perfect god that allows how many children on earth to die before the age of 5? That's a perfect god?

Simply if there was no evil , good would've been meaningless , no cold there would be no hot , if no death then no meaning in the word life and God controls destiny , he's the one who gives life and takes it . Just believe in destiny and say my life and time of death are in the hands of God , if you do so then you will not be worried .

That lame excuse for "evil" doesn't cut it. If your god is all-powerful, that means he could stop needless suffering. If he is all-knowing, it means he's aware of the needless suffering. If he's all good, then he would stop the needless suffering. If your religion has conned you into thinking that a good god gives children cancer, then you are warped by your false religion.
There is not one shred of credible evidence for the existence of your god, and a huge amount of evidence against.
[45:4] Verily in the heavens and the earth are Signs for those who believe.
[45:5] And in your own creation and in that of all the creatures which He scatters in the earth are Signs for a people who possess firm faith.
[45:6] And in the alternation of night and day, and the provision that Allah sends down from the sky, whereby He quickens the earth after its death, and in the change of the winds, are Signs for a people who try to understand.

Quoting from any writing proves nothing. It's circular reasoning that a small child can see through. How do you know allah exists? Because the koran says so. How do you know you can trust the koran? Because it was written by allah. In other words, you first have to assume allah exists before you can use the koran as proof for his existence. Lame.
And how can a god judge anyone and be moral, since free will does not exist?
[67:3] Who has created death and life that He might try you — which of you is best in deeds; and He is the Mighty, the Most Forgiving.

So he gave you the freedom of will , then told you the right and worng , good and evil , in order to test you , your soul and see what path will you take in life .
There is zero evidence for us having free will. And, god did not give us the ability to let us know right from wrong, according to the story he created us ignorant of such knowledge, and then punished two innocent people, as well as their innocent children, for gaining this knowledge. Your religion is false, immoral, and needs to disappear.
thedoc
Posts: 6473
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: The Atheist Movement Will Restore the Human Soul

Post by thedoc »

Khalid wrote: Why are you so concerned about the period of time the universe took to become in it's final shape or form after the big bang? and why does it matter? Maybe our measures of time are tottaly different from God's measure of time .

Why do you think that the current form of the universe is it's 'final shape and form'? the Universe, Humanity and all life and creatiion is still evolving and changing. Hang on, it's going to be a wild ride.
User avatar
SpheresOfBalance
Posts: 5559
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: On a Star Dust Metamorphosis

Re: The Atheist Movement Will Restore the Human Soul

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

SecularCauses wrote:While many people, including those here with philosophy backgrounds, despise atheists, let me explain why atheism is one of the best ideas going. Atheism rejects all superstitious claims and recognizes the truth of the matter, we really are on our own. No god will save us, hand us a magical cure, make our suffering go away. We are on our own, and because we are on our own, we are dependent on each other for our very survival. We must work together and find our own way, because there is no magical being in the sky who will do it for us.

As atheists, we believe that no ethics came from on high. We reject the idea that any people have been chosen, whether Jew, Christian, Muslim, German, Greek, Hindu, etc. The way to knowledge is to use our ability to reason and explore the cosmos; and, therefore, every people may share equally in this discovery.

As atheists, we reject the idea that we may not question what people tell us about morality. We do not believe that morality has been set in stone by some magical being in the sky. We believe those making such claims are mistaken. That any person's opinion on morality is subject to question; that we even have an obligation to question, to improve upon ethics and morality. We believe that each of us has this right, that no one should have to bow down unquestioningly to someone claiming to be acting under orders of a higher authority. We reject fascism as a way of life, that one must blindly follow orders.

We believe that this life is more than likely all there is. Therefore, we should not waste the time we have on hateful bickering about superstitious nonsense, but get on with dealing with reality, which is the best shot we have at making all of our lives better.

We believe there is dignity in facing reality head on and not hiding behind myths to make us feel better about our lives and the threats we face. We believe the time has come to rid ourselves of religious divisions. The fighting among each other over whose "god" is the "right god" is a waste of energy we are all better off without. The struggle serves no legitimate purpose, because all of the contestants are wong, and there can be no winner in such a contest.

In short, we believe in restoring dignity to humanity. And what else is human dignity if not the human soul? It is the religious who want to rob you of your soul, not the atheists.
You believe you can speak for 'all' atheists, as if that's humanly possible. I think I'll have to ask my gay, black, Hispanic, atheist friend if she agrees with you. You say that you can restore all of human kinds souls, as if: they exist for 'certain,' it's humanly possible, and that it's only you that knows how (sorry, but I think you actually only speak for yourself). It sounds to me that your dogma is no different than theirs. Well at least with respect to how it reflects upon your psyche. Or is that reflections of your psyche, sorry but I get confused.

And so you think you know of the all of the universe??? As I see that: before one could make such claims, they'd have to.

Pardon me, if I don't vote for you. But of course you can live any way you want over in your corner, in your world, as I do in mine, as long as we neither, affect one another, nor anyone else, positively or negatively, first physically, then psychologically, and lastly philosophically, unless the person knowingly requests it of us. And then we can carry our solution to the grave, all by ourselves, all along the way patting ourselves on the back for being the only ones to have figured it 'all' out, I mean what is good for everyone else and all, you know, like restoring their human soul, and such!

Does that sound good to you, ...?

...Sorry but I forgot, what was your name, again?
SecularCauses
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:06 am

Re: The Atheist Movement Will Restore the Human Soul

Post by SecularCauses »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
SecularCauses wrote:While many people, including those here with philosophy backgrounds, despise atheists, let me explain why atheism is one of the best ideas going. Atheism rejects all superstitious claims and recognizes the truth of the matter, we really are on our own. No god will save us, hand us a magical cure, make our suffering go away. We are on our own, and because we are on our own, we are dependent on each other for our very survival. We must work together and find our own way, because there is no magical being in the sky who will do it for us.

As atheists, we believe that no ethics came from on high. We reject the idea that any people have been chosen, whether Jew, Christian, Muslim, German, Greek, Hindu, etc. The way to knowledge is to use our ability to reason and explore the cosmos; and, therefore, every people may share equally in this discovery.

As atheists, we reject the idea that we may not question what people tell us about morality. We do not believe that morality has been set in stone by some magical being in the sky. We believe those making such claims are mistaken. That any person's opinion on morality is subject to question; that we even have an obligation to question, to improve upon ethics and morality. We believe that each of us has this right, that no one should have to bow down unquestioningly to someone claiming to be acting under orders of a higher authority. We reject fascism as a way of life, that one must blindly follow orders.

We believe that this life is more than likely all there is. Therefore, we should not waste the time we have on hateful bickering about superstitious nonsense, but get on with dealing with reality, which is the best shot we have at making all of our lives better.

We believe there is dignity in facing reality head on and not hiding behind myths to make us feel better about our lives and the threats we face. We believe the time has come to rid ourselves of religious divisions. The fighting among each other over whose "god" is the "right god" is a waste of energy we are all better off without. The struggle serves no legitimate purpose, because all of the contestants are wong, and there can be no winner in such a contest.

In short, we believe in restoring dignity to humanity. And what else is human dignity if not the human soul? It is the religious who want to rob you of your soul, not the atheists.
You believe you can speak for 'all' atheists, as if that's humanly possible. I think I'll have to ask my gay, black, Hispanic, atheist friend if she agrees with you. You say that you can restore all of human kinds souls, as if: they exist for 'certain,' it's humanly possible, and that it's only you that knows how (sorry, but I think you actually only speak for yourself). It sounds to me that your dogma is no different than theirs. Well at least with respect to how it reflects upon your psyche. Or is that reflections of your psyche, sorry but I get confused.

And so you think you know of the all of the universe??? As I see that: before one could make such claims, they'd have to.

Pardon me, if I don't vote for you. But of course you can live any way you want over in your corner, in your world, as I do in mine, as long as we neither, affect one another, nor anyone else, positively or negatively, first physically, then psychologically, and lastly philosophically, unless the person knowingly requests it of us. And then we can carry our solution to the grave, all by ourselves, all along the way patting ourselves on the back for being the only ones to have figured it 'all' out, I mean what is good for everyone else and all, you know, like restoring their human soul, and such!

Does that sound good to you, ...?

...Sorry but I forgot, what was your name, again?
Well, I'll note for the record no one has shown how my position is inconsistent with the atheist view. My statement does not make any allegation that souls are real, but you are too stupid to understand that. Not surprising.

My so-called "dogma" is based on the truth, while the religious hide behind lies. That is the point. If you find an atheist who disagrees wih me, then have them explain themselves.

And why would I want your vote when you are an anti-semitic idiot? The fact you don't like me is good. I would hate to get along, in any way, with a bigot.
User avatar
SpheresOfBalance
Posts: 5559
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: On a Star Dust Metamorphosis

Re: The Atheist Movement Will Restore the Human Soul

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

SecularCauses wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:
SecularCauses wrote:While many people, including those here with philosophy backgrounds, despise atheists, let me explain why atheism is one of the best ideas going. Atheism rejects all superstitious claims and recognizes the truth of the matter, we really are on our own. No god will save us, hand us a magical cure, make our suffering go away. We are on our own, and because we are on our own, we are dependent on each other for our very survival. We must work together and find our own way, because there is no magical being in the sky who will do it for us.

As atheists, we believe that no ethics came from on high. We reject the idea that any people have been chosen, whether Jew, Christian, Muslim, German, Greek, Hindu, etc. The way to knowledge is to use our ability to reason and explore the cosmos; and, therefore, every people may share equally in this discovery.

As atheists, we reject the idea that we may not question what people tell us about morality. We do not believe that morality has been set in stone by some magical being in the sky. We believe those making such claims are mistaken. That any person's opinion on morality is subject to question; that we even have an obligation to question, to improve upon ethics and morality. We believe that each of us has this right, that no one should have to bow down unquestioningly to someone claiming to be acting under orders of a higher authority. We reject fascism as a way of life, that one must blindly follow orders.

We believe that this life is more than likely all there is. Therefore, we should not waste the time we have on hateful bickering about superstitious nonsense, but get on with dealing with reality, which is the best shot we have at making all of our lives better.

We believe there is dignity in facing reality head on and not hiding behind myths to make us feel better about our lives and the threats we face. We believe the time has come to rid ourselves of religious divisions. The fighting among each other over whose "god" is the "right god" is a waste of energy we are all better off without. The struggle serves no legitimate purpose, because all of the contestants are wong, and there can be no winner in such a contest.

In short, we believe in restoring dignity to humanity. And what else is human dignity if not the human soul? It is the religious who want to rob you of your soul, not the atheists.
You believe you can speak for 'all' atheists, as if that's humanly possible. I think I'll have to ask my gay, black, Hispanic, atheist friend if she agrees with you. You say that you can restore all of human kinds souls, as if: they exist for 'certain,' it's humanly possible, and that it's only you that knows how (sorry, but I think you actually only speak for yourself). It sounds to me that your dogma is no different than theirs. Well at least with respect to how it reflects upon your psyche. Or is that reflections of your psyche, sorry but I get confused.

And so you think you know of the all of the universe??? As I see that: before one could make such claims, they'd have to.

Pardon me, if I don't vote for you. But of course you can live any way you want over in your corner, in your world, as I do in mine, as long as we neither, affect one another, nor anyone else, positively or negatively, first physically, then psychologically, and lastly philosophically, unless the person knowingly requests it of us. And then we can carry our solution to the grave, all by ourselves, all along the way patting ourselves on the back for being the only ones to have figured it 'all' out, I mean what is good for everyone else and all, you know, like restoring their human soul, and such!

Does that sound good to you, ...?

...Sorry but I forgot, what was your name, again?
Well, I'll note for the record no one has shown how my position is inconsistent with the atheist view. My statement does not make any allegation that souls are real, but you are too stupid to understand that. Not surprising.

My so-called "dogma" is based on the truth, while the religious hide behind lies. That is the point. If you find an atheist who disagrees wih me, then have them explain themselves.

And why would I want your vote when you are an anti-semitic idiot? The fact you don't like me is good. I would hate to get along, in any way, with a bigot.
I see that you don't provide your physical age. But if I were to judge from your words, I'd say quite young. If you have some need to verbally abuse me, have at it, whatever makes you happy! But I see that your venom is a product of your short sightedness. But again, if name calling is par for your course, by all means have at me, I'm an adult, I can take it.
SecularCauses
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:06 am

Re: The Atheist Movement Will Restore the Human Soul

Post by SecularCauses »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
I see that you don't provide your physical age. But if I were to judge from your words, I'd say quite young. If you have some need to verbally abuse me, have at it, whatever makes you happy! But I see that your venom is a product of your short sightedness. But again, if name calling is par for your course, by all means have at me, I'm an adult, I can take it.
When you post YouTube videos, that come from propoganda networks, and even a casual observation of the video reveals that they are false, then don't bitch about being called on your stupidity. I don't give a damn about you. You could die this second, and it would not matter to me. So, why should I care whether you like me? I don't.

Where is this so-called atheist friend of yours who is going to disagree with what I wrote?
User avatar
SpheresOfBalance
Posts: 5559
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: On a Star Dust Metamorphosis

Re: The Atheist Movement Will Restore the Human Soul

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

SecularCauses wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:
I see that you don't provide your physical age. But if I were to judge from your words, I'd say quite young. If you have some need to verbally abuse me, have at it, whatever makes you happy! But I see that your venom is a product of your short sightedness. But again, if name calling is par for your course, by all means have at me, I'm an adult, I can take it.
When you post YouTube videos, that come from propoganda networks, and even a casual observation of the video reveals that they are false, then don't bitch about being called on your stupidity. I don't give a damn about you. You could die this second, and it would not matter to me. So, why should I care whether you like me? I don't.

Where is this so-called atheist friend of yours who is going to disagree with what I wrote?
I'm sorry but you seem to be confused. I don't believe that I've ever posted "...YouTube videos, that come from propoganda networks..." Please site specific instances, via url's.
Post Reply