Was Socrates an atheist?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

reasonvemotion

Re: Was Socrates an atheist?

Post by reasonvemotion »

After reading an analysis of the account that has been preserved of Socrates' defense of himself as it was presented before the Athenian Council, I was surprised to read

"Socrates, while not accepting many of the popular conceptions of religion, was a deeply religious person. He had a profound faith in the spiritual meaning of life and the world, along with a firm belief in God as the source of our moral obligations. Any prayer that he would address to the deity was never a plea for bodily comfort or material welfare but a petition for the humility and courage to live righteously under whatever circumstances might exist and also the reference that I have already posted concerning his words
after The Trial, To the Jury, he said "Now it is time that we were going, I to die and you to live; but which of us has the happier prospect is unknown to anyone but God."

It aroused my curiosity, so rather than dismiss this, I thought it would be interesting to pursue. I thought someone else may have further knowledge of this.
The point of this thread is that jebus power is real. The person who started the thread is a fundie. When not plotting against Jews and atheists, she embellishes about the power of the fictional jebus character. He was a loser in the story who got his ass kicked. I'm not sure what the big deal is any way.
This above quote is based on assumption only which has no real value on a philosophy forum.
SecularCauses

Post by SecularCauses »

reasonvemotion wrote:After reading an analysis of the account that has been preserved of Socrates' defense of himself as it was presented before the Athenian Council, I was surprised to read

"Socrates, while not accepting many of the popular conceptions of religion, was a deeply religious person. He had a profound faith in the spiritual meaning of life and the world, along with a firm belief in God as the source of our moral obligations. Any prayer that he would address to the deity was never a plea for bodily comfort or material welfare but a petition for the humility and courage to live righteously under whatever circumstances might exist and also the reference that I have already posted concerning his words
after The Trial, To the Jury, he said "Now it is time that we were going, I to die and you to live; but which of us has the happier prospect is unknown to anyone but God."

It aroused my curiosity, so rather than dismiss this, I thought it would be interesting to pursue. I thought someone else may have further knowledge of this.
The point of this thread is that jebus power is real. The person who started the thread is a fundie. When not plotting against Jews and atheists, she embellishes about the power of the fictional jebus character. He was a loser in the story who got his ass kicked. I'm not sure what the big deal is any way.
This above quote is based on assumption only which has no real value on a philosophy forum.
Christianity is based on an assumption that has no real value on a philosophy forum.

You are a joke. A christer bigot. The members here on this forum promote superstition, racism, anti-semitism, nationalism, sexism, anti-scientific falsehoods, etc., etc.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

The point of this thread is that jebus power is real.

The person who started the thread is a fundie

Both are your assumptions.

Show me where that was stated.

Sounds like Forged in Hell to me.
SecularCauses

Post by SecularCauses »

reasonvemotion wrote:
The point of this thread is that jebus power is real.

The person who started the thread is a fundie

Both are your assumptions.

Show me where that was stated.

Sounds like Forged in Hell to me.
Who is this Forged in Hell charcter? Is that what people are claiming? That I am what, some devil escaped from the depths of hell?

You are a Christian, aren't you? That means you believe in pregnant virgins and a jebus who can do magic tricks. Now, why would you be here insinuating Socrates was also a believer, unless you were looking for some support for your rediculous belief in jebus? Maybe when you run out of gas, you can pray to jebus to fill up the tank?
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

You are a Christian, aren't you?
You are telling me, remember.

Love and pursuit of wisdom by intellectual means is not your forte.
SecularCauses

Post by SecularCauses »

reasonvemotion wrote:
You are a Christian, aren't you?
You are telling me, remember.

Love and pursuit of wisdom by intellectual means is not your forte.
On the contrary, it is you who has no love for wisdom. You believe in jebus power, which makes you an idiot. Jebus power does not exist. Can you billion plus Christer scum use jebus power to inflate a flat tire? Remove a splinter from a thumb? No. Jebus is pwerless to do even simple things a child can do; however, you believe jebus power will take something called a soul into paradise when you die? And you think that this belief of yours qualifies you as an intellectual?
jinx

Post by jinx »

SecularCauses what you do not even realise is that you believe (by the height of blind dogmatic faith) in Darwin power. The power to turn non living matter (each atom with an iq of exactly 0) into the genetic code, DNA transcription and translation, DNA repair enzymes, Krebs cycle etc etc through natural processes, which then transforms into more and more complex organisms (for which there is NO mechanism, though that does not concern you or those with adequate religious faith) all of which (conveniently) starts and stops happening before eye witness testimony/written history (6,000 years). And you think that this belief of yours qualifies you as an intellectual?
SecularCauses

Post by SecularCauses »

jinx wrote:SecularCauses what you do not even realise is that you believe (by the height of blind dogmatic faith) in Darwin power. The power to turn non living matter (each atom with an iq of exactly 0) into the genetic code, DNA transcription and translation, DNA repair enzymes, Krebs cycle etc etc through natural processes, which then transforms into more and more complex organisms (for which there is NO mechanism, though that does not concern you or those with adequate religious faith) all of which (conveniently) starts and stops happening before eye witness testimony/written history (6,000 years). And you think that this belief of yours qualifies you as an intellectual?
No, moron, I believe in science, not "Darwin-power." It's amazing to me how idiots like you who reject the evidence for evolution, as well as other scientific discoveries, can even be called human. Personally, I don;t consider you freaks to be human, just some throw-back to our apish ancestors.
jinx

Post by jinx »

It's amazing to me how idiots like you who reject the evidence for evolution,
Which definition of 'evolution'? Descent with modification? Speciation? Mutation? Change in allele frequency? Genetic drift? Any change in any living thing ever? The myth that mistakes and accidents bought about the most complex thing man has EVER obtained knowledge of (DNA)? You dont even realise the word has multiple meanings.
Personally, I don;t consider you freaks to be human, just some throw-back to our apish ancestors.
Not surprising given the atheism/evolutionism religions have NO foundation for morals, ethics, 'right' or 'wrong', respect for their fellow man, honour loyalty etc.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

jinx wrote:
Which definition of 'evolution'? Descent with modification? Speciation? Mutation? Change in allele frequency? Genetic drift? Any change in any living thing ever? The myth that mistakes and accidents bought about the most complex thing man has EVER obtained knowledge of (DNA)? You dont even realise the word has multiple meanings.
Personally, I don;t consider you freaks to be human, just some throw-back to our apish ancestors.
Not surprising given the atheism/evolutionism religions have NO foundation for morals, ethics, 'right' or 'wrong', respect for their fellow man, honour loyalty etc.

You are being manipulated by cynical religious leaders who have a lot to gain by keeping gullible idiots like you in the dark. That's why they go to the trouble of setting up creationist websites, thinly disguised in a 'scientific' way that's immediately obvious to anyone remotely scientifically literate, but not to brain-washed fools like you. The clue is usually in the names, invariably with 'Genesis' or 'creation' in the web address somewhere. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

jinx wrote:
If you think the earth is only 6000 years old then how do you explain that using simple tree ring analysis we can date back as far as well over 11000 years? With a little effort you could prove it yourself if you don't want to take others' word for it. Same goes for any of the scientific facts in this video. That's the great thing about scientific facts; anyone can verify them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-FyKoU2uRo
SecularCauses

Post by SecularCauses »

jinx wrote:

It is actually the religious who have no moral foundation. Let's see if you can follow the thread? 1. The theist starts off with a belief in a supernatural being, for which the evidence contradicts. 2. This means that the moral foundation for thre theist rests on a fraud and an irrational belief. Building a moral system on such a poor foundation is bound to fail. 3. In reality, since your god does not make any moral claims, you are simply elevating the "moral" claims of people to the level of the divine, insulating these claims from any questions. 4. Any moral system that tells people tey cannot question it treats people as mere tools, non-human putty. 5. This is fascism in every sense of the word.

In contrast, an atheist realizes that every moral opinion is from a fallible human being that may be questioned, and hopefully, improved upon. Atheism is compatible with freedom, theism is not.
windy36

Post by windy36 »

Socrates does not know if he believes in God or he is an atheist. He knows nothing as to whether or not God exists, but leaves open the possiblity that either God exists or doesn't exist.
rantal

Post by rantal »

Is Socrates an atheist; first of all lets not fall for the idea that he doesn't know, though Socrates often makes this claim it is just a ruse, his stratogy is to draw out from his opponent some metaphisical speculation and then expose the contradiction therein. How honest a stratogy is, I leave to you to descide, Kirkergaad uses a similar technique.

However, there is quit e a lot of evidence that Socrates or at least when plato writes him believes in the Demiurge but not the Hellonistic pantheon

all the best, rantal
rantal

Post by rantal »

It is actually the religious who have no moral foundation. Let's see if you can follow the thread? 1. The theist starts off with a belief in a supernatural being, for which the evidence contradicts.
You claim that the evidence contradicts believe in a god but offer no reasoning to support that claim.

all the best, rantal