Buying an Indulgence - Act of Faith?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

chaz wyman

Re: Buying an Indulgence - Act of Faith?

Post by chaz wyman »

Greatest I am wrote:
Mike Strand wrote:I'm watching a Public Broadcasting System (PBS) special on Martin Luther.

I have what might be a rather naive question or observation: If I'm a Catholic and I buy an indulgence (not even sure they're sold anymore) to be absolved of a sin (e.g.,shoplifting or extramarital sex), am I not, by paying the money, repenting of the sin and expressing faith that God will forgive me?

Leave aside the morality of the Church accepting money from me in this situation -- have I not demonstrated my faith in a fundamental Christian principle -- repentance and forgiveness of sin?

What is the difference between this and confessing my faith in Jesus as a Lutheran or Baptist and paying tithes and offerings to my local church? Again, focus on me and my faith, not the morality of my local Protestant church willing to accept money from me as a demonstration of my faith.
Indulgences sold by religions are a scam.

The victim/sinner believes that his sins have been cleared thanks to God accepting a bribe.
The sinner must also believe that someone in his religion has checked with God and God approves even as scriptures say otherwise.

Ezekiel 18:20
The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

Psalm 49:7
None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him:

Churches speak for a God that they do not know.

It is all a profitable myth to them. Churches know this but the believer does not.
Churches are in the guilt creation business and profits are good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF6I5VSZVqc

Regards
DL
However... THe Lord will demand payment and let people torture you to get it.

Matthew 18

18:31 So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done.
18:32 Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:
18:33 Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?
(18:34) "And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him."
(18:35) "So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses."
18:34 And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.
18:35 So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

And you can sell a girl for 50 shekels with the Lord's blessing.

Ezekiel
22:28 If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found;
22:29 Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days.
22:30 A man shall not take his father's wife, nor discover his father's skirt.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

A rather good moral lesson here if you interpret it a certain way.

It basically says that reciprocity is fair play.

Regards
DL
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Greatest I am wrote:A rather good moral lesson here if you interpret it a certain way.

Regards
DL
If you call selling your daughter for $50 'fair play'.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

chaz wyman wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:A rather good moral lesson here if you interpret it a certain way.

Regards
DL
If you call selling your daughter for $50 'fair play'.
It is if she is starving to death.

Regards
DL