You must not kill any living being for the sake of your food

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

dattaswami

Re: You must not kill any living being for the sake of your food

Post by dattaswami »

Arising_uk wrote:Wouldn't a large part of the Indian sub-continent die if your ways were adopted?
God povided ample amount of vegiables and grains...for food
duszek

Post by duszek »

I like the element of the Hindu religion which consists in preferring to eat plants.
My yoga teacher explained that people were less prone to violence and sadism that way because they did not put the suffering of the killed animal into them.

Some people refuse to become vegetarians because they worry that their libido could get diminished.

It depends very much on what plants you eat and whether you know what plants nourish your particular body best.
If you eat the wrong plants you can be unhealthy.
Everybody is different and has to find out which diet is the right one for their unique bodies.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

duszek wrote:I like the element of the Hindu religion which consists in preferring to eat plants.

A plant is a living thing. Eating plants nearly always results in their death.
Eating fruit is like killing a foetus.

My yoga teacher explained that people were less prone to violence and sadism that way because they did not put the suffering of the killed animal into them.

A common myth. People who neglect to get all of their essential amino acids, can fall ill as we are evolved to eat meat. Some amino acids can only be found from animal products.
Your yoga teacher is no nutritionalist.

Some people refuse to become vegetarians because they worry that their libido could get diminished.

It depends very much on what plants you eat and whether you know what plants nourish your particular body best.
If you eat the wrong plants you can be unhealthy.
Everybody is different and has to find out which diet is the right one for their unique bodies.
info

Re: You must not kill any living being for the sake of your

Post by info »

After hearing that Eckhart Tolle does eat meat, it occured to me that many vegetarians could be understood as expressing a fear and hatred of death, i.e. ironically, some vegitarianism might be understood as an alienation from life (because "Nothing real can be threatened" -ACIM).
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

info wrote:After hearing that Eckhart Tolle does eat meat, it occured to me that many vegetarians could be understood as expressing a fear and hatred of death, i.e. ironically, some vegitarianism might be understood as an alienation from life (because "Nothing real can be threatened" -ACIM).

I think this explains the vegetarian complex very well.
I also suggest the Disney effect that has encouraged people to think of animals as humans.
I spend a few days in a sculpture class this week with some of Brighton's vegan community.
Each time we added milk to our tea there was no time wasted to warn us that milk contains pus.
This is true. A tiny number of cows sometimes get mastitis and this does not always get noticed by the farmer, who could have his milk discarded if discovered.
So inevitably a small amount can find its way into the supply. I reminded everyone that though there might be pus in the milk it was pasteurised pus and perfectly safe to drink.
Another vegan in the class said I don't eat honey because sometimes bees get hurt! What a sorry world we would live in if there were no beekeepers!
And what a sorry place the countryside would be if there were no animals in it!

If we were all vegetarians there would be no lambs every spring to watch.
And maybe an abattoir is a sad place, but it does provide a cleaner quicker death for animals than nature has in store for each one of us. Would that we had the moral fibre and courage to extend to suffering, dying people what we bestow on our sick animals and our meat animals.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

dattaswami wrote:
Wootah wrote:Dataswarmi why do you dismiss the fact that plant life is alive and deserves not to be killed? The forests cry out for you to stop eating and if you were a real incarnation you would only eat sunlight nowadays.
Plucking leaves and fruits is not killing. In plants life exists but mind and intelligence do not exist.

Life is called as Pranamaya Kosa. Mind is Manomaya Kosa. Intelligence is Vijnanamaya Kosa. The life is only inert mechanism of exchange process of Oxygen and Carbondioxide and release of energy by oxidation. This mechanism has no awareness of the pain.

The mind is represented by the nervous system, which is not present in the plants. The mind may be in very very primitive stage in plants as per the research of Mr. Bose.

You do not know this, you only say it to justify your killing of the plant for food, otherwise if you truely do not kill to eat you will starve. You are just rationalizing murder.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

chaz wyman wrote: Some amino acids can only be found from animal products.

All very true, many people avoid eating fat for fear of gaining weight, but fat is the real fuel of the body and does not make you fat. When I eat meat, it is the fattiest parts that I prefer and consume, and I am, by no measure, overweight. And cholesterol is not a problem my levels are normal, the body will produce whatever amount it wants to.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

thedoc wrote:
chaz wyman wrote: Some amino acids can only be found from animal products.

All very true, many people avoid eating fat for fear of gaining weight, but fat is the real fuel of the body and does not make you fat. When I eat meat, it is the fattiest parts that I prefer and consume, and I am, by no measure, overweight. And cholesterol is not a problem my levels are normal, the body will produce whatever amount it wants to.
Some people who show high cholesterol levels, after being put on low cholesterol diet respond for a short while by showing lower levels, but staying on a low diet they still eventually go back to their original high level showing that they have naturally high levels that cannot be controlled by diet.
However for most people it is wise to avoid excessive cholesterol as that guarantees the body gets clogged up, regardless.

Fat does make you fat, it has twice the energy of protein and carbs by weight, and when you are trying to loose weight you can get the same sense of satisfaction from low fat meals as you do from high fat meals - meaning that you can eat what appears the same but the result is that you can lower your net calorific intake without feeling hungry.
You cannot loose weight without an energy deficit - taking the fat out of your diet is the easiest way to achieve that.

Additionally if you can completely remove fat, in order to store excess intake your body will have to metabolise its own fat and the process being inefficient burns more calories than storing dietary fat. The result is that you burn more calories.
Mike Strand

Post by Mike Strand »

You must not kill any living being for the sake of your food.
It would appear road kill is still OK, so I can keep meat in my diet! And like our friends the vultures, I'll be performing a needed task.

Also, I can keep a few food animals until they die of natural causes (e.g., old age). With the proper recipes (herbs, spices, wine, and slow cooking), I can still have good eating!
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Anything that drops dead on your doorstep is ok. Are you responsable for your bug zapper? yummie toasties. Remember anything you hit with your car has been grilled when you get it.
Mike Strand

Post by Mike Strand »

Right on, thedoc! And anything I hit with my car -- by accident. Right?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

:)
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

datta

even production of tofu involves killing of animals

plowing and harvesting destroys animal habitats and kills animals directly

transporting tofu to the supermarket results in deaths of animals as they are run over by the tofu delivery truck

and so forth

so are you saying we should all become jain nuns and monks

or are you saying something else - maybe we should eat less meat or something - and that eating soybeans directly (well in the form of tofu) will result in fewer animals deaths than feeding it to cows and then eating the cows
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

duszek wrote:I like the element of the Hindu religion which consists in preferring to eat plants.
ok is india any less violent than places where people eat more meat
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

my older brother just pointed out that strict vegans should eat more groundhogs and the like

if you kill and eat a groundhog, that is the only animal that gets killed - the carbon footprint of your meal is pretty close to zero - especially if you use a bow or a crossbow rather than a firearm - and there is no collateral damage from plant cultivation or anything

and groundhogs and their ilk replace their numbers very quickly so as long as we do not shoot so many groundhogs that their numbers start going down they are the environmentalist dream food