Swami, When hell is there, why are human beings punished in this world also?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

dattaswami

Post by dattaswami »

[A question by Ms. Thrylokya]

Swami replied:- When you are trying to punish others for their faults here, you are also punished by God for your faults here itself. If you excuse others’ faults, God will also excuse your faults. God’s punishments are appearing as difficulties and problems in life. If you try to reform others through love without harsh words, God will also help you in reforming you through love without any harsh action on you. Every human being is a mixture of good and bad qualities. Sometimes good comes out and sometimes bad comes out. Every human being sees one’s own good only and not bad. Similarly, every human being sees bad only in others and not good.

This is the reason why the human being thinks that he/she is good and all others as bad. This is the reason for God’s anger on you. To teach a lesson to you, He gives punishments for your faults also here itself. This is the reason why all the human beings are getting difficulties or problems in their lives. You shall change your faults with mental peace and without emotion. Similarly, you shall advise others to rectify their faults through loving and soft words. Then God will love you and excuse your faults without punishing you.

Bhartruhari says “Paraguṇaparamāṇūn parvatīkṛtya santaḥ”. This shloka means

1. Everybody sees one’s own large bad as small bad.

2. Everybody sees one’s own small good as large good.

3. Everybody sees small bad in others as large bad.

4. Everybody sees large good in others as small good.

This is the reason for quarrels everywhere in the world. If everybody wants a peaceful and happy life in this world,

1. Everybody shall see one’s own small bad as large bad.

2. Everybody shall see one’s own large good as small good.

3. Everybody shall see small good in others as large good.

4. Everybody shall see large bad in others as small bad.

All this message is for every human being in this world. I am not specifying anybody because this message applies to every human being in the entire world.
Walker

Re: Swami, When hell is there, why are human beings punished in this world also?

Post by Walker »

The intent to punish is appropriate within a Role.
Parent, cop, soldier, enforcer, wrathful guardians, these are punishers.

These punishers are Roles, not individuals. The individual witnesses the actions of the role, while fulfilling the role. If someone is robbing your dominion, their role is thief. You rule the dominion. You either fulfill the role of dominion ruler, or you do not. If you do fulfill your role of dominion ruler, you try to stop rather than harm the thief, and that's up to the thief. If you don't fulfill your role and survive to rule over what remains of the dominion you did not defend, then if you're a clever, double-thinking type of individual, you might try to use some philosophy or another to rationalize away your incompetence within the Role of your dominion. This often involves blaming someone you are wont to demonize, such as God.
Walker

Re: Swami, When hell is there, why are human beings punished in this world also?

Post by Walker »

You will notice, dattaswami, that I did not try to demonize you. Did not advocate for your removal. Did not demand that you change your ways. That's because here we are peers, although everyone here is peerless because each was born perfect as they are, suis generis in and of themselves, unique as individuals with their combinations of qualities.

I simple illustrated how your view pertains to the world of relationships outside of the ashram where not everyone is on the same program or timetable.

Did you observe the beauty of how this was transmitted with so few words?

What if we had to write our words in our blood? We would use fewer words, and give greater consideration to each one.

Consider that what remains of my time, is my blood. Have some consideration for my time. It's not all about your message, dattaswami.

Thank you for listening.