A loser is a loser is a loser.

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

A loser is a loser is a loser.

Post by Gary Childress »

I'm negative. I'm resentful. I'm bitter. I'm fed up with other people and I'm fed up with God's world. Now what?
attofishpi

Re: A loser is a loser is a loser.

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:46 am I'm negative. I'm resentful. I'm bitter. I'm fed up with other people and I'm fed up with God's world. Now what?
Are you what some (idiots) call a loser?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:52 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:46 am I'm negative. I'm resentful. I'm bitter. I'm fed up with other people and I'm fed up with God's world. Now what?
Yep.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:55 am
Yep.
Well, personally I have no idea what it actually means, I think it is a daft American term.

So what precisely have you lost?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:04 am

Yep.
Well, personally I have no idea what it actually means, I think it is a daft American term.

Money, sanity, friends, manhood, opportunities...
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:34 am

Yep.

Money,
How\Why?

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:34 amsanity,
(me too when I push God's buttons too hard - as in returning to Eat from the Tree of Knowledge - a temporary stint in HELL).

How\Why?

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:34 amfriends,
(me too, but I don't consider them worthy of my friendship...so good riddance)

How\Why?

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:34 ammanhood,
(I'm not sure what that means, please explain)

How/Why

Gary Childress wrote:opportunities.
But they come around - in the future, learn from where you lost opportunities in the past, so you don't make the same mistakes again?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:45 am

How/Why
I don't have what it takes to attract a wife, support a child or sufficiently maintain a household. Apparently, those are things that God allegedly made us to do with our lives, at least according to religious fundamentalism. We're supposed to abstain from adultery and just about everything else that feels good--and sacrifice for the greater good. I would probably be labeled a "libertine" if this were a couple of hundred years ago. Those notions are rooted in Christianity and Christianity seems to be on the revival now.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:25 am
attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:45 am

How/Why
I don't have what it takes to attract a wife,
Naughty boy, whose wife do you want to attract?

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:25 amsupport a child or sufficiently maintain a household.
What? You have a fully functioning body right? A child just needs guidance (apart from food, clothes and a decent telescope) ...and a household just needs to be vacuumed, dishes done, cooking, clothes washing, bathroom cleaning etc.. which is what a woman does (so it's not manhood you have lost, you just need a woman).

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:25 amApparently, those are things that God allegedly made us to do with our lives, at least according to religious fundamentalism. We're supposed to abstain from adultery and just about everything else that feels good--and sacrifice for the greater good. I would probably be labeled a "libertine" if this were a couple of hundred years ago. Those notions are rooted in Christianity and Christianity seems to be on the revival now.
Well, that's stupid American version of ""Christianity"" - my version kicks arse.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:25 am I don't have what it takes to attract a wife, support a child or sufficiently maintain a household. Apparently, those are things that God allegedly made us to do with our lives, at least according to religious fundamentalism.
There are a lot of different ways to experience a well-lived life. Having a partner or kids need not be one of them. A lot of people with partners are not especially happy with them. Don't beat yourself up over not attaining some ideal/illusion. You don't have to be limited to such things.

At one point in my life, I thought of finding a commune to live with because I thought community would be good for me. But they wouldn't allow me to bring my pets. So, I bought land with the intention of developing it and sharing it with like-minded people, and that ended up being a wonderfully fulfilling chapter in my life. Everybody (including myself) thought that I would stay there until the end of my days... but I've moved on now to explore more. Also, I was very happy being single for a long time. I've found that living in the moment is a good way of making the most of whatever person you're with (including friends), or whatever situation you're in. Drink it in while it's in front of you, without trying to turn it into something in particular. And remember there are always more paths to discover/choose/explore in our lifetimes.

Just my thoughts... for whatever that's worth.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:46 am Now what?
Live like it's your final day.
bobmax

Post by bobmax »

You find yourself alone in the desert.
All you have to do is set out to try to cross it.
Without knowing if it will end.

Maybe one day you will remember this despair of yours with gratitude, because it worked on you, making you better.
But now you can't know.

Dig inside yourself, only in yourself can you find that knot to untie, that denied love, which is at the origin of your suffering.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

No one is forcing you to live.

I assume you are really posting for answers. If you do not like your life, then change it.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:34 am

Yep.

Money, sanity, friends, manhood, opportunities...
So you are a normal man. You seem to lack only endurance. Divine Providence is an absurd belief ; this is not news to most people. Maybe you would be happier if you lived in an atheist place such as France. Or California.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

bobmax wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:12 am You find yourself alone in the desert.
All you have to do is set out to try to cross it.
Without knowing if it will end.

Maybe one day you will remember this despair of yours with gratitude, because it worked on you, making you better.
But now you can't know.

Dig inside yourself, only in yourself can you find that knot to untie, that denied love, which is at the origin of your suffering.
Wow, that's beautiful.
Walker

Post by Walker »

George Costanza drew your map to your Shangra La. You should emulate him and become Opposite Gary.

Simply do the opposite of what Loser Gary would do, and transmorgrify into Opposite Gary.

What's the opposite of Loser? It's Winner, Gary. The opposite of Loser is Winner ... not Whiner.

The opposite of Loser could also be Finder, and in that case, apply the Costanza technique to Be The Finder.
(What's you're looking for is usually right under your own nose and you're saying to it, "Go away, go away and let me be a loser! I know it well, it's cozy and safe.")

So much so, that you even defend that self-concept.