End of CHristianity!

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

End of CHristianity!

Post by Sculptor »

In the UK people ticking the "Christian" box on the census falls below 50% for the first time.

In effect this really happened decades ago, ticking "CofE" in a census does not really make you Christian. If all you do towards religion is go to church for births, deaths and marriages, its hardly conviction religion.

I always remember the times at home when the census came round and that question would come up. "No religion" was not even a category when I was a child. But Mum would have to ask Nanna "what do I put here?" Read them out! "Church of England"; "Baptist"; etc... "CofE" I think. Yes put down CofE.
I'm pretty sure this would happen in many household that had long since stopped going to church or chapel.
Most people say I believe in "something" which is the usual cop-out, having been bored to tears by sermons; their only act of worship being part of the school assembly (still a legal requirement BTW).

SO we should not be surprised to find that Statista says this about church attendance:

Church attendance in England in has fallen by approximately 300 thousand since 2009, with the average weekly attendance of the Church of England being just 854.3 thousand in 2019. In the same year, just over a third of people in the United Kingdom identified as being Christian compared with two-thirds in 1983.

So church attendance being a fairly good measure of how serious religion is treated is 0.8543 million in a population of 67.5 million.

That is 1.2%

So my question is ... why are they all here?

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/chri ... land-wales
https://www.barrons.com/news/less-than- ... 1669721108
attofishpi

Re: End of CHristianity!

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:26 am
Why are all what here?
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

U guys are leaving stage 1C and entering stage (3). Moving right along then.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_three_stages
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:49 am
Why are all what here?
The christians
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

promethean75 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:10 pm U guys are leaving stage 1C and entering stage (3). Moving right along then.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_three_stages
Most of us have been stage 3 for a long time. And many did so around the time of Compte.

It's time for a stage 4 to be codified, where reductionism of stage 3 is called into question building a "thicker" understanding in terms more amenable to human and socio-cultural metrics. Not denying stage 3 , but allocating it to the practical.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:09 pm
Why are all what here?
The christians
From Promethean75's link:

'Comte, however, was conscious of the fact that the three stages of thinking may or do coexist in the same society or in the same mind and may not always be successive.'

It makes sense that there are different rates of flow and transformation in nature.
Sculptor wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:09 pm Most of us have been stage 3 for a long time. And many did so around the time of Compte.

It's time for a stage 4 to be codified, where reductionism of stage 3 is called into question building a "thicker" understanding in terms more amenable to human and socio-cultural metrics. Not denying stage 3 , but allocating it to the practical.
I agree with you, I think. Science and logic are wonderful, but I don't know if they can explain love or art, and those are an extraordinary part of our experience.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:50 pm

Why are all what here?
The christians
From Promethean75's link:

'Comte, however, was conscious of the fact that the three stages of thinking may or do coexist in the same society or in the same mind and may not always be successive.'

It makes sense that there are different rates of flow and transformation in nature.
Sculptor wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:09 pm Most of us have been stage 3 for a long time. And many did so around the time of Compte.

I agree with you, I think. Science and logic are wonderful, but I don't know if they can explain love or art, and those are an extraordinary part of our experience.
Post Modernist thinking has a value.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:26 am In the UK people ticking the "Christian" box on the census falls below 50% for the first time.

In effect this really happened decades ago, ticking "CofE" in a census does not really make you Christian. If all you do towards religion is go to church for births, deaths and marriages, its hardly conviction religion.

I always remember the times at home when the census came round and that question would come up. "No religion" was not even a category when I was a child. But Mum would have to ask Nanna "what do I put here?" Read them out! "Church of England"; "Baptist"; etc... "CofE" I think. Yes put down CofE.
I'm pretty sure this would happen in many household that had long since stopped going to church or chapel.
Most people say I believe in "something" which is the usual cop-out, having been bored to tears by sermons; their only act of worship being part of the school assembly (still a legal requirement BTW).

SO we should not be surprised to find that Statista says this about church attendance:

Church attendance in England in has fallen by approximately 300 thousand since 2009, with the average weekly attendance of the Church of England being just 854.3 thousand in 2019. In the same year, just over a third of people in the United Kingdom identified as being Christian compared with two-thirds in 1983.

So church attendance being a fairly good measure of how serious religion is treated is 0.8543 million in a population of 67.5 million.

That is 1.2%

Right, this proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Christian God does not exist. :wink:
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Why are all what here?
The christians
What do you mean? You lot just need to get the fuck off our planet that we inherited! :P
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

iambiguous wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:29 pm
Sculptor wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:26 am In the UK people ticking the "Christian" box on the census falls below 50% for the first time.

That is 1.2%

Right, this proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Christian God does not exist. :wink:
Do you think so?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:11 pm

Why are all what here?
The christians
What do you mean? You lot just need to get the fuck off our planet that we inherited! :P
You don't sound very "meek"
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:41 pm

The christians
Well. I had no idea that would be your reply. :wink:

You'd be surprised how 'meek' I actually am in real life. (considering being raised with yobs, geezers and bogans)
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:56 am

You'd be surprised how 'meek' I actually am in real life. (considering being raised with yobs, geezers and bogans)
You did not sounds very meek in that moment.
And do you really see any evidence of the meek inheriting the earth.
They seem to be inheriting generational poverty - and have been for thousands of years.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:12 pm

They seem to be inheriting generational poverty - and have been for thousands of years.
Ya, I don't know what's going on to be honest. I'm starting to get really pissed off with God\sage. When they smacked me up in 2005 (after stating "tonight bad luck") and the morons used for the incident stole my mobile ph - I got a new phone (""THEY"" issued:- xxx 007 666 x) A pretty cool phone number - license to kill, the beast...bla bla
I keep saying to God - get a sage to actually use current tech, ya know, call me! He lives in a penthouse in California and said he wants to buy me a beer (this was over a year ago - via the aether) So lmao - Y doesn't this pric.k (< wot, you cant say prik, as in p****) just use normal channels, and phone me!!! :D
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:18 am
Sculptor wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:12 pm

Ya, I don't know what's going on to be honest. I'm starting to get really pissed off with God\sage. When they smacked me up in 2005 (after stating "tonight bad luck") and the morons used for the incident stole my mobile ph - I got a new phone (""THEY"" issued:- xxx 007 666 x) A pretty cool phone number - license to kill, the beast...bla bla
I keep saying to God - get a sage to actually use current tech, ya know, call me! He lives in a penthouse in California and said he wants to buy me a beer (this was over a year ago - via the aether) So lmao - Y doesn't this pric.k (< wot, you cant say prik, as in p****) just use normal channels, and phone me!!! :D
Sounds like you've backed the wrong horse to me.