All is energy / God is energy

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: All is energy / God is energy

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:10 pm
Belinda wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:44 pm 'Spiritual' is often used meaning vaguely religious with doubts. 'Spiritual' also seems to stand for ontological mixed with passionate or affectionate expression. The latter seems to me what Lacewing is like in her posts.
To my mind, spirituality is about creating a story to account for that which isn't understood, but for which an explanationis is desired.
So, following along with this line of 'reasoning', the 'big bang theory', and the 'theory' that the Universe began and is expanding, are both 'spirituality', correct?

Also, If EVERY 'hypothesis' and/or 'theory' are just 'stories' to account for 'that', which is NOT YET understood, but which an explanation is sought or would be desired, then does this make EVERY 'hypothesis' and/or 'theory', 'spiritual'?

If no, then why not?
Harbal wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:10 pm While there are many things about our existence that I don't undedrstand, perhaps I am more prepared to accept my lack of understanding, and the absense of an explanation, than those who call themselves spiritual are.
What I like about Barbara Pym's stories is nobody is right and nobody is wrong. Everybody is observed without evaluating them. Some of her characters are anthropologists and her own style is like that of an anthropologist who has literary merit and sense of humour. I think she would have agreed with Wittgenstein that the meaning of a word is its social use.
Anthropologists and self-important clergymen are two common themes in her books, which makes me assume that she probably has personal experience of both. I hadn't picked up on your observation about her attitude towards the meaning of words. You've given me something to think about with that.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:34 pm Now Harbal, don't be mean.
I'm never mean, I don't have it in me.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Harbal to Walker wrote: ...
Interesting.

Now Harbal, don't be confused. You need to get over that to see the light.

I know it sounds unfair, but that's the way it works.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Age wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:37 pm
So, following along with this line of 'reasoning', the 'big bang theory', and the 'theory' that the Universe began and is expanding, are both 'spirituality', correct?

Also, If EVERY 'hypothesis' and/or 'theory' are just 'stories' to account for 'that', which is NOT YET understood, but which an explanation is sought or would be desired, then does this make EVERY 'hypothesis' and/or 'theory', 'spiritual'?

If no, then why not?
I'm not in the mood today, Age. :?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:42 pm
Interesting.
I wish I could say the same about you. :(
Walker

Post by Walker »

For me, Thank God for small favours, and for you, for allowing you the luxury of ignore-technology.

May you show gratitude by accepting the gift.

Post by Age »

Walker wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:02 pm
Age to Walker wrote: ...
That’s quite fascinating, Age. Very interesting, truly. I read every word and got the meaning behind the words, and you make a lot of sense. Well said. Now that I think of it, I had to glance back to see if you used caps. I didn’t know those things about the meaning of education, and I'll verify if I ever use it, SOP.

First thoughts after reading:

- Energy can be a master, or a servant. A servant properly fulfilling the role can be summoned, and does not disturb one’s peace.

- Total freedom is highly over-rated. I have found that clarity is found in constraint, for then mind is forced to transcend constraint to be free.

- The greatest constraint, the greatest limitation, provides the greatest opportunity to be free.
Absolutely EVERY word used, and probably more so when being used within, or from the 'inner voice', has FAR MORE POWER over 'you', human beings, than was ever really realized, hitherto the days when this was being written.

See, one could be born into a locked prison cell with NO ability to see out and live their whole life, and STILL be FAR MORE FREE than one who is born into a 'wealth of money' with the ability to travel all around the world, and even further afield, whenever they wanted to.

It is, LITERALLY, the words 'we' use that ACTUALLY CONTROLS how much ACTUAL FREEDOM, and POWER, 'we' ACTUALLY HAVE.
Walker wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:02 pm - For instance, take soccer, or what folks sometimes call “football.” Ahem. You can’t use your hands in soccer. That’s the extent of my expertise concerning that particular display of precision. What’s up with that? Why does the goal keeper get to use his hands? Talk about a limitation for the rest of the team. No wonder the score is so low. Good grief. Why impose the limitation? Make the goal keeper stand on his hands to defend. There are probably plenty who are capable.

- Well for the rest of the team, due to the limitation of no arms you can move a ball more efficiently than with your arms, simply by using your most powerful muscles, which are from the waist down.
Previously, I heard that the jaw is the most powerful, or strongest, muscle in the human body. If so, and only if so, could this then come back to the actual 'power' or 'strength' of words, from speech. (Or is this taking things too far here?) After all, it has been said, that 'the pen is mightier than the sword', and this is obviously NOT because the pen is mightier than the sword, but because the WORDS written by the pen, or the WORDS created by the sword, can be much 'mightier' than 'violence' and/or 'physicality'.
Walker wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:02 pm You are able to conserve the torso energy for breathing and balance for those legs. Thus, high level soccer play transcends the limiting Rule of No Hands, to actually achieve the most effective energy transference with the least energy expenditure, simply by not obstructing the design of the human form in motion, which can be confused with the design in stillness.

- When perfected, the limitation of no hands will also achieve with a wink, what all the energy of hand waving and word play will not achieve, if the lights are low and the mood is right. :wink: Just kidding, but you get the point.

- Energy transcends rules, limits, and limitations when the body is free to move as designed, and the elegance of kicking a ball with precision is found in the display of energy efficiency, when measured against some amazing displays of physics.
Maybe so, but if 'we' took the 'LOVE-OF-MONEY' out of 'playing soccer', then is 'soccer', REALLY, ANY thing more than just a 'game' made up 'for fun'?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Age wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:59 pm Previously, I heard that the jaw is the most powerful, or strongest, muscle in the human body. If so, and only if so, could this then come back to the actual 'power' or 'strength' of words, from speech. (Or is this taking things too far here?) After all, it has been said, that 'the pen is mightier than the sword', and this is obviously NOT because the pen is mightier than the sword, but because the WORDS written by the pen, or the WORDS created by the sword, can be much 'mightier' than 'violence' and/or 'physicality'.
No wonder everyone is so huge. Jaw strength.

Voice energy is throat energy, not jaw energy.

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:43 pm
Age wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:37 pm

If no, then why not?
I'm not in the mood today, Age. :?
It was quite a common occurrence, back in the days when this was being written, that when people were questioned and/or challenged over their claims or words, that they would THEN (all of a sudden?) become NOT 'in the mood' or NOT 'bothered'.

Post by Age »

Walker wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:02 pm
Age wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:59 pm Previously, I heard that the jaw is the most powerful, or strongest, muscle in the human body. If so, and only if so, could this then come back to the actual 'power' or 'strength' of words, from speech. (Or is this taking things too far here?) After all, it has been said, that 'the pen is mightier than the sword', and this is obviously NOT because the pen is mightier than the sword, but because the WORDS written by the pen, or the WORDS created by the sword, can be much 'mightier' than 'violence' and/or 'physicality'.
No wonder everyone is so huge. Jaw strength.

Voice energy is throat energy, not jaw energy.
I DID make the comment, 'Or is this taking things too far here?' (with a question mark), to point out or highlight the, very subtle, 'tongue in cheek' comment made in regards to words, which come from the help of the tongue, within the jaw.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Harbal wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:10 pm
Belinda wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:44 pm 'Spiritual' is often used meaning vaguely religious with doubts. 'Spiritual' also seems to stand for ontological mixed with passionate or affectionate expression. The latter seems to me what Lacewing is like in her posts.
To my mind, spirituality is about creating a story to account for that which isn't understood, but for which an explanationis is desired. While there are many things about our existence that I don't undedrstand, perhaps I am more prepared to accept my lack of understanding, and the absense of an explanation, than those who call themselves spiritual are.
What I like about Barbara Pym's stories is nobody is right and nobody is wrong. Everybody is observed without evaluating them. Some of her characters are anthropologists and her own style is like that of an anthropologist who has literary merit and sense of humour. I think she would have agreed with Wittgenstein that the meaning of a word is its social use.
Anthropologists and self-important clergymen are two common themes in her books, which makes me assume that she probably has personal experience of both. I hadn't picked up on your observation about her attitude towards the meaning of words. You've given me something to think about with that.
Existence naturally is not understood and philosophers have created a jargon that deals with the several theories of existence, describes, criticises, and explains them.
I doubt if philosophers' jargon includes the word 'spirituality'.

Barbara Pym was a sort of administrative secretary for the International African Institute during the 60s and 70s (it's in the introductions)so she knew a lot of anthropologists and their jargon which as you know she makes fun of. I guess she writes mostly about 'high' Anglicans because the rituals are more spectacular and therefore more fun than the 'low' church.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Belinda wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:00 pm
Barbara Pym was a sort of administrative secretary for the International African Institute during the 60s and 70s (it's in the introductions)so she knew a lot of anthropologists and their jargon which as you know she makes fun of. I guess she writes mostly about 'high' Anglicans because the rituals are more spectacular and therefore more fun than the 'low' church.
I think you have more insight into Barbara Pym's world than I do, and that probably means you are able to appreciate her humour more than I can. For that, I envy you.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Harbal wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:31 pm
Belinda wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:00 pm
I think you have more insight into Barbara Pym's world than I do, and that probably means you are able to appreciate her humour more than I can. For that, I envy you.
Nonsense! Don't tell me I want to be envied. That is not nice and it's a lie.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Belinda wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:34 pm
Nonsense! Don't tell me I want to be envied. That is not nice and it's a lie.
I don't know anything about high church and low church, so I probably don't pick up some things that you do, that's all I meant. I don't know what isn't nice about that, or in what way I lied, but it wasn't intentional. :cry:
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Age wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:48 pm
attofishpi wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:42 pm
Harbal wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:31 pm

I'm pretty old now, Fishy, but none of my experience of being on this earth has given me the slightest hint that any of the above might be the case. Therefore, I can only conclude that it very probably isn't. You have arrived at your conclusions because of you own experience, so I'm sure you will understand that I have arrived at mine via the same process.
I understand and respect that Harbal. The thing is it appears that you truly have to have at least some spiritual belief for this entity to provide further insight.

My best friend (a woman) reminds me a lot of Lacewing with what I see as an alternative view of the universe in a spiritual way, and she also has loads of experiences. So when we talk, and I talk about God and even talk about it like it has an AI at the ultimate behest - she is happy to hear me interpretting some of her experiences from my POV - even though, similarly to LW, she doesn't refer to this being as God.

So you're old. I hope you are not just auto reincarnated but at least meet a sage or two on your passing. I told my Mum to kick the my sage in bollocks if she meets him (I was indicated she did lol) Mum passed 22/2/22 at about 2am - not sure Y all the twooooss
HOW, EXACTLY, was it indicated to 'you' that your mom was able to kick some, or 'your' OWN personal, 'sage' on the ass?
See, even there on that little snippet you are wrong. Who is talking about an ass?

EVERYDAY the most annoying thing is the amount of remote control battery power gets consumed where I have to SCROLL SCROLL SCROLL through ALL of your crap that I (and probably nobody) bothers reading.