The absolute truth

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

dattaswami

The absolute truth

Post by dattaswami »

Several devotees ask Me about the truth of truths regarding Me. They are always bothered only about others and not about themselves. I do not know how many of you can digest the truth of truths regarding Me at this moment. O.K. Let Me tell you the absolute truth regarding Myself. Have you heard about God Dattatreya? He is the energetic form[1] into which the God (Parabrahman) entered. What is the difference between Him and Vishnu or Shiva or Brahma[2], who are also energetic forms of God? The external energetic form of God Dattatreya reveals the full information about God, which is that, God is the Creator, Ruler and Destroyer of this entire creation. Of course, the same God is present in Brahma or Vishnu or Shiva. But their external energetic forms reveal the partial duties of God separately.

This may mislead devotees into thinking that God is a composite unit consisting of a group of three Gods. To remove this misunderstanding, the energetic form of God Dattatreya appeared before sage Atri and his wife Anasuya[3]. Only then was the confusion removed. Only then did the sage really become Atri. The word Atri means ‘not three but one’. This is the specialty of Lord Dattatreya from the point of view of the external form; not from the point of view of the internal God. ‘Datta’ means ‘[God] given to the souls for worship’. The unimaginable God can never be worshipped directly because no one can even imagine about Him. Such unimaginable God (Parabrahman) is ‘given’ to devotees through a medium, since the devotees are anxious to see, worship, touch, talk, live along with Him and get spiritual guidance from Him.

Among these, spiritual guidance is most important for the soul. God is always ‘given’ to the devotees through the same medium and form in which the devotee exists. For the souls which exist in energetic forms in the upper world, the medium is the energetic human form. The energetic forms in which souls exist have the same human appearance because the soul after death attains an energetic form that resembles the material (earthly) form of the person. For a devotee present in human form on this earth, God is given through the medium of a materialized human form. This is most suitable. The specialty of God Dattatreya is that through this form, God has taken up the most important work of spiritual guidance as the Sadguru. Hence, He is called as Guru Datta.

This God Dattatreya (energetic form) entered the womb of My mother and occupied My human body and soul for the main purpose of establishing true spiritual knowledge and giving the right direction for believers, scholars and devotees on this earth. He has come to earth several times for this main purpose. So this is not a new program. But the specialty of the program this time is that the preaching of spiritual knowledge is done for the topmost intellectuals, who have reached the climax of analysis through well-advanced logic called science. Preaching is always done according to the level of the audience. Hence, the specialty of this program is only due to you. For this reason, the human incarnation of God Dattatreya was very necessary now.

At the same time, there was a need for the entry of Lord Dattatreya in a house in a village in Andhra Pradesh. The name of the village is Nagulavaram and the owner of the house was Shri Koteshwara Shastry, who was a great devotee of Shri Rama. He had three sons and three daughters. The entire family was very deeply devoted to God. They spent almost the entire day in the worship and singing songs of God. All his sons and daughters were married. In the village there were two relatives called as Shri Brahmaiah Shastry and Shri Buchaiah Shastry, who were incarnations of demons. They were exceptionally talented in doing black magic. If they got angry with any person, that person would die within a day! Thus they had killed about a hundred people and about three hundred children in the village. When they walked in the streets of the village, people would run into their houses and bolt the doors. They were paternal cousins of Kosteshwra Shastry and were very jealous of him since he was very much respected in the entire village for his devotion and character. Koteshwara Shastry earned his living through hard work on his roughly sixty acres of land and a large number of dairy cattle. He was the richest in the village and was treated as the head of the village. All this kindled jealousy in the hearts of the two evil cousins of Shri. Koteshwara Shastry.

The second son of Shri Koteshwara Shastry was Shri Veerabhadra Shastry and this human body is his son. All the sons of Koteshwara Shastry got married and had sons. However, the two demons were killing the sons with their black magic and seven sons in the extended family had already died. An emergency arose in his family and all the family members were worshipping various forms of God day and night to save their lives. Problems are our real friends. They alone can take you to the climax of devotion. The two demons openly challenged in the village that they would ensure no son in the family could be saved and that the dynasty of Koteshwara Shastry would end. The villagers were very angry and were ready to kill the two demons but Shri Koteshwara Shastry stopped them advising them that devotees must have patience and wait for the will of God to take its course. He continuously kept chanting the name of Shri Rama and even as he died, he was counting the name of Rama on his fingers. All the family members were crying for the grace of God. In that emergent situation, God Dattatreya decided to enter the home and save it from the demons.

He could have helped the family just by His will but He wanted to do it directly and simultaneously give fame to the family by taking birth in it. My mother Smt. Hanumayamma started seeing dreams in which various deities from various temples appeared to her with constant ringing of bells. Every night she would see almost all the deities in her dreams. This was an indication that Lord Datta was in her womb. All the deities are the incarnations of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. Datta is considered to be the asylum for thirty-three crores of deities[4]. When she gave birth to the 8th son, in the family, the same day, the two demons died. One died in an accident and the other died with blood vomiting. Their deaths were very cruel. One of My aunts and the villagers called the boy (Myself) as Venugopala Krishna Murthy.

One of their descendents called as Shri Narasimha Shastry also knew black magic. But he was not cruel. This boy (Myself) started pouring down poetry in Sanskrit spontaneously and Narasimha Shastry was very fond of Me. In fact, on the day of a solar eclipse, he took Me to the water tank and asked Me to take bath. Then he gave a secret hymn (Mantra) of black magic to Me. After two years, he wanted to kill somebody through the same black magic. But the mantra failed in spite of his intense concentration. Then he asked Me “This mantra never fails unless it is uttered in a temple. Why did it fail after I gave it to you?” I replied “This human body is a moving temple and the soul in this body is God. Hence, your mantra will not work anymore”. I was just 10 years old then. Thus, black magic was fully removed from that village. Thus, there was this secondary purpose too for the visit of Lord Datta on this earth. God is always a double-edged sword. The destruction of evil forces is done along with the upliftment of devotees. The intensity of devotion was excellent in that house due to that event.

All My childhood was spent doing a lot of mischief like stealing butter etc., which suited My name[5]. Every day My aunt had to face complaints from villagers, who were tolerating Me only due to their respect for My family. One day My father, vexed with My mischief started teaching Me Sanskrit in order to develop samskara[6] in Me. He taught Me eight verses from the great Sanskrit epic called Raghuvamsa[7]. There was no necessity to teach Me the ninth verse.

My age was 8 years and I was the 8th child, who learnt the Sanskrit language in just 8 verses! All the Vedas, Shastras and divine knowledge entered My head spontaneously and I started reciting poetry in Sanskrit spontaneously. The village was full of Sanskrit scholars. Yet they had difficulty in understanding the extempore Sanskrit verses composed by Me. By the 16th year of age, I was the author of more than 100 Sanskrit books on philosophy. Due to this unimaginable knowledge, My father was afraid that that some Brahma Rakshasa (the ghost of a Brahmin scholar) might have entered Me. He began worshipping Lord Hanuman to expel the ghost from Me! But the ghost that has entered Me is the most powerful Lord Datta (Datta is famous for also existing in the form of a ghost called as Pisacha Rupa). Hanuman is only Lord Datta’s beloved servant!

My father became a famous astrologer since he studied astrology intensely during the pressing times when he was threatened by black magic. He wanted to teach Me astrology too. Then I showed him a book written by Me, which is a commentary on Jaimini Sutra[8] in Sanskrit on astrology. He was surprised to see My interpretations in astrology. Astrology is nothing but the study of the computerized information of a person’s cycle of deeds and their fruits (karma chakra) based on the constitution of God. It only gives the information of the person’s ‘file of deeds’ in a coded language. The codes are the nine planets, which are forms of the three fundamental qualities[9] that govern the deeds of souls. Sun and Mars are Rajas; Saturn, Rahu and Ketu[10] are Tamas; Moon, Mercury, Jupiter and Venus are Sattvam. The twelve zodiac houses (Bhavas) are the channels of various strong feelings (Samskaras). For example, the seventh Bhava is about one’s behavior towards one’s wife or husband. If Tamas planets are strong in this Bhava, he or she will have only lust. If Rajas planets strongly influence this Bhava, the person will work together with the spouse for fame. If Sattvam planets influence this Bhava, there will be cooperation between the person and the spouse in spiritual effort. Thus the horoscope is only a file of information of the Samskaras of the soul in various aspects of life. No change is possible in it without the will of God. The remedies suggested by the astrologers are only because they want to earn money just as rituals are performed by the priests in temples. The real spirit of astrology and rituals is twisted and polluted by these astrologers and priests for their livelihood. It is a joint business of both these cults. Through astrology, when you know that a certain result of your previous bad deed is going to be delivered to you, Jaimini suggests the worship of the relevant deities, who are also the different forms of God based on the three qualities. Through these types of worship, you are expected to realize the one God present in the deities. Thus, astrology should lead to spiritual knowledge.

The nine lights (Jyoti) are the nine planets, which are lit by the original light i.e., God (Param Jyotih…—Veda). Thus, astrology in its real sense means the spiritual knowledge of God. The followers of Jaimini (Purva Mimamsakas) misunderstood Jaimini to be an atheist just like the Buddhists who misunderstood Buddha to be an atheist. The worship of the concerned deities indicated by astrology involves some rituals. Thus the tradition is good since it finally aims for God. But it has been twisted, misinterpreted and exploited for selfish money-making by astrologers and priests because the public too has become selfish and only wants to get materialistic benefits and solve their problems. This wrong direction of the public can be allowed for some time in the beginning but it should not continue for the whole life of a person otherwise the soul will fall in to permanent hell.

[1] God entered a form made out of energy. Just as on earth, souls are present in physical or material bodies, in the upper worlds (heaven) souls are present in energetic or luminous forms. God entered one such form called Dattatreya. This form of Dattatreya has three faces—Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva (Creator, maintainer and Destroyer of the universe respectively).

[2] Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva are three different energetic forms of God in the upper worlds. The God in them is the same; only the forms are different. They carry out the three functions of creation, maintenance and destruction of the universe respectively.

[3] Parents of Lord Datta in His first incarnation as Sage Dattatreya. Atri is one of the Sapta Rishis (Seven Great Sages).

[4] Datta is the energetic form of God with three faces (Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva). This indicates that the God in the above forms is one and the same. Through these three forms the God creates, maintains and destroys this entire creation including all the divine forms. Thus the thirty three crore (330 million) deities (believed in Hinduism) are all included in Lord Datta.

[5] Swami’s given name was Venu Gopala Krishna Murthy (the form of Lord Krishna playing the flute). Lord Krishna too was an extraordinarily mischievous child, who stole butter from other houses, teased etc.

[6] Samskaras are strong feelings or impressions created in a person’s mind. Proper teaching and training of children during their childhood creates favourable samskaras in the child. Unless such samskaras are created in a child, the child is likely to go astray.

[7] Written by the famed Sanskrit poet Kalidasa.

[8] The ancient sage Jaimini is the originator of the field of astrology and the Jaimini Sutra is his authoritative work in the field of astrology.

[9] The three fundamental qualities are Sattvam (purity and knowledge), Rajas (dynamism, passion), Tamas (ignorance, inertia).

[10] Rahu and Ketu are the lunar orbital nodes where the orbit of the Moon crosses the apparent path of the sun through the sky. Eclipses occur at these nodes. Although they are not actual planets, they are very significant from an astrological perspective. They can be considered to be ‘shadow planets’.