Reincarnation

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Atla

Re: Reincarnation

Post by Atla »

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:30 pm
Atla wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:21 pm There aren't any philosophical kinds at all, ontologically.
So, there's no substance? Nothing? I'm still not sure if you're a monist or a nollist.
For example when we divide reality into mental and physical, we created two ontological philosophical kinds, in our thinking. Then some things are seen as mental, other things are seen as physical.
I'm not a big fan of ultimate substance claims. But I do find the distinction useful in some contexts. I think it's a fairly natural, pre-philosophical distinction.
But such a division is completely made-up,

It depends I suppose what you mean by completely made-up? It's not coming from nothing. It comes from our experiences. This doesn't mean the distinction is ultimately correct, but it's not just some random, hey I'll make up some shit contrast. People were describing what they experienced and it seemed like there were two types of things - to many people, even in many cultures. Just as they divided things into elements. Or divided life/non-life, those that did.
it's purely philosophical in origin,
I don't think that's the case. Don't take that as my arguing that there are two substances. I just don't think philosophy is the source of this distinction, nor do I think it is completely made up, given what I said above.
it only exists in our thinking. And then philosophers wonder why they can't figure out consciousness since centuries. Well it's because they are trying to solve a problem using the same kind of thinking, that created it.
So, have you figured out consciousness since you are not blocked by this substance confusion?
I was just talking about the ontology of consciousness. Yes there are many useful ways of thinking in many kinds of contexts, which are not relevant here.
So, have you figured out consciousness since you are not blocked by this substance confusion?
It's just about made-up "philosophical" divisions in our thinking (and innate illusory, pre-philosophical divisions in our thinking if you like), which we mistake for ontological divisions in the natural world. Yes consciousness is automatically solved without them.

Substances are of course made-up too, but they don't always add such divisions, and such divisions can also be added without substances. Yes one should get rid of thinking in substances, too.

If you want me to put a name on my stance, it would probably be: "non-monistic non-duality". Although I'd rather call it "scientific Advaita".
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Atla wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:20 pm
I was just talking about the ontology of consciousness.
So, you've figured out the ontology of consciousness?
It's just about made-up "philosophical" divisions in our thinking (and innate illusory, pre-philosophical divisions in our thinking if you like), which we mistake for ontological divisions in the natural world. Yes consciousness is automatically solved without them.
So, what is the solution? How was it solved?
Substances are of course made-up too, but they don't always add such divisions, and such divisions can also be added without substances. Yes one should get rid of thinking in substances, too.
You're making a lot of assertions in these posts. Do you have justifications for these assertions?
If you want me to put a name on my stance, it would probably be: "non-monistic non-duality".
Well, some statements sounded like a monist view, that there was one substance, others that there were no substances.
Although I'd rather call it "scientific Advaita".
Advaita tends to be the view that the world is an illusion and the atman is not separate from Brahma. There's really just Brahma. Adding scientific to Advaita means?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Atla wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:43 pm
attofishpi wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:59 am
Atla wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:49 am
I read some of your comments a few years back. Then you even went on to describe some textbook psychotic break you had. It was very standard.
Oh. Ok, so how does this account for just a 'psychotic break' :-

ATTRIBUTES OF GOD (I have ascribed to this entity based on 26 years of empirical experience God interacting with me)

1 - What we perceive as reality, is 'generated' by this entity at THE most finite sub-atomic scale where either an event occurs or it doesn't - ergo, it has binary control over ALL matter, that includes our very own grey matter (if it wishes).

This attribute has been proven to me, COUNTLESS times since 1997.
Which example should I use?
Here's one, not long after year 2000, I was doing a mundane internet tech support job - I had crossed the line - I was in one of the 3 month stints that this entity had me in what I can only describe as HELL, God was doing EVIL to me - very hard to LIVE.
When I got home and laid upon the couch, extremely vexed about what I had just endured in the office (another story) - as I lay there - the word "CONFESS" flashed across my retinas in bright neon.
So there I am thinking - since I was brought up through a Catholic school system, maybe this confession thing is actually a requirement for me. The next day in the office, HELL was on, people calling out random nasty comments, if I simply stated in my mind "Fuck off God" - immediately someone would yell out "Fuck off" - of course nobody else could hear this - it was ALL in my dimension. (I have read plenty of books on physics and so understood the plausible nature of what this entity could do - IF - it is running\generating things from beyond sub-atomic reality.
When I considered I should go to Church that evening, and actually do this 'confess' thing, the very next customer when I asked for his username stated it is:- "mad_if_you_dont" --- now, ya, that is not a normal internet username.
At the time - in my spare time, I was writing a cyberpunk book called Alpha Two - and had been working on a scene where some guy called Eli had been kidnapped (set 100 years in future) - he is trapped my some extortionists in a virtual world - he never knew when he was in the real world or the simulation. So, a bit later when still considering how fucked my reality was yet again, a caller gave me his username:- "hows_eli" - again, not ya typical username. There was another username situation later in the day, but you get the gist.
So to summarise - this entity had access to the qualia of my sensation of sight - flashed "confess" across my retinas - in neon.

In lucid dreams - two of which I met my sage and I asked him not to wake me up. I walked up to a wall and started to scratch the paint on the wall and turned and said to him, this is so real. He told me something very pro_found - but personal.

So above - where I told God to fuck off (in my mind) then someone yelled out immediately across the office the same words back - empirical evidence that this entity has access to my synapses. Also, as above - I only thought (I should go to confession) then that username - mad_if_u_dont came through...

The above is minimal to the totality of 24 years of being TESTED and TESTING IT back, so this is a small but pertinent example as to why I claim God to have this particular attribute.
No offense, but those were bog-standard visual and auditory hallucinations, bog-standard perceived hidden meanings in text etc. That is exactly how psychosis usually starts.

You may say that those weren't hallucinations, that literally was and is your reality, but this is also bog-standard. We don't directly perceive the outside world, instead our personal reality is a representative contruct in the head. And in psychosis, this construct has major malfunctions.
You extremely fervent devoted atheists really get on my nerves! Seriously, I'd have preferred it if you called me a liar. Just so we are clear, and can understand you consider "CONFESS" flashing in neon across my retinas as some psychotic issue - FAIR ENOUGH - these events with usernames the following day at work..

You are suggesting that this didn't happen - these usernames never existed?...as I had to provide tech support for the person that issued them to me, or just some strange quirk of coincidence?:-

1. When I considered I should go to Church that evening, and actually do this 'confess' thing, the very next customer when I asked for his username stated it is:- "mad_if_you_dont" --- now, ya, that is not a normal internet username.

2. Shortly after (point 1) In a cyberpunk novel I was writing a character called Eli never knew when he was in the real world or the virtual world and extortionists that had kidnapped him were torturing him in the virtual (as God was doing to me) - then the username "hows_eli" was issued by a customer.

3. Later in the day - I didn't mention this one, at the time we were required to support billing enquires, and an old legacy system that was crap could get rather complicated in certain situations. I looked at all the transactions, cross checking late fees, excess data charges and it appeared to conflict with what the customer was telling me. The customer had given me the username "coins_nah" - of course, I thought to myself this is another strange bloody username. Anyway, I went to talk to my manager to see if she could make head to tail of it (no pun intended)...her entire desk was covered in coins..maybe for the social club she was counting out, dunno, but I found it rather funny when she asked for the username.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

attofishpi wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:59 pm
Atla wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:43 pm No offense, but those were bog-standard visual and auditory hallucinations, bog-standard perceived hidden meanings in text etc. That is exactly how psychosis usually starts.

You may say that those weren't hallucinations, that literally was and is your reality, but this is also bog-standard. We don't directly perceive the outside world, instead our personal reality is a representative contruct in the head. And in psychosis, this construct has major malfunctions.
[my emphasis added]
He's got a construct in his head that you have falsely interpreted and/or directly hallucinated those experiences that lead to your belief in God. And not just you, but anyone with a similar belief he considers necessarily false. He's got a model in his head and it's going to be an effective one, for him. He will be able to parry any move you make. You are words on a screen to him, which makes it even easier for an amateur psychiatrist like him to diagnose you and your experiences. Just as he may see needs in you for your interpretations and/or hallucinations, he has, by his own admission above, to maintain his representative construct in his head. Some things that can be rational to believe cannot possibly be demonstrated via the internet via words on a screen. Perhaps in person, if he saw you dealing with other types of situations, as a person in the flesh, he might find it harder to so readily dismiss what you are saying or you or to so readily diagnose you. But it's also quite likely he would not find it harder then. Constructs in the head are very stubbornly implanted in many cases. More stories are not going to make a difference to a closed mind.

I don't know you and there's no way to really get into the statistics of what you are saying at the distance we find ourselves. There's a real problem of other minds issues here. Nor does my bringing this up mean I am sure your interpretations were correct. We're too far apart. But I certainly don't rule them out, at all.

Unless you really want the experience of being dismissed again and again by a person who will happily condescend and diagnose you and your experiences, I'd suggest not opening up to him.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Yes, I am pretty much in agreement with the entirety of your assessment of Atla, his clone is Veritas Aequitas.

Still, I am looking forward to his response! :D
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

attofishpi wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:04 am Yes, I am pretty much in agreement with the entirety of your assessment of Atla, his clone is Veritas Aequitas.

May it surprise us both!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:33 am
attofishpi wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:04 am Yes, I am pretty much in agreement with the entirety of your assessment of Atla, his clone is Veritas Aequitas.

May it surprise us both!
I fear something awful might have happened to him. Maybe upon reading of my account, this mind fragmentation thing he was talking about has caused his head to explode! :cry:
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

attofishpi wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:24 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:33 am

May it surprise us both!
I fear something awful might have happened to him. Maybe upon reading of my account, this mind fragmentation thing he was talking about has caused his head to explode! :cry:
Well, if so, perhaps in his next incarnation he'll, because of that, be more careful about online diagnoses.
But I suspect his official positions are much hardier than your empathy allows you to consider.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:52 am
Atla wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:43 pm No offense, but those were bog-standard visual and auditory hallucinations, bog-standard perceived hidden meanings in text etc. That is exactly how psychosis usually starts.

[my emphasis added]
He's got a construct in his head that you have falsely interpreted and/or directly hallucinated those experiences that lead to your belief in God. And not just you, but anyone with a similar belief he considers necessarily false. He's got a model in his head and it's going to be an effective one, for him. He will be able to parry any move you make. You are words on a screen to him, which makes it even easier for an amateur psychiatrist like him to diagnose you and your experiences. Just as he may see needs in you for your interpretations and/or hallucinations, he has, by his own admission above, to maintain his representative construct in his head. Some things that can be rational to believe cannot possibly be demonstrated via the internet via words on a screen. Perhaps in person, if he saw you dealing with other types of situations, as a person in the flesh, he might find it harder to so readily dismiss what you are saying or you or to so readily diagnose you. But it's also quite likely he would not find it harder then. Constructs in the head are very stubbornly implanted in many cases. More stories are not going to make a difference to a closed mind.

I don't know you and there's no way to really get into the statistics of what you are saying at the distance we find ourselves. There's a real problem of other minds issues here. Nor does my bringing this up mean I am sure your interpretations were correct. We're too far apart. But I certainly don't rule them out, at all.

Unless you really want the experience of being dismissed again and again by a person who will happily condescend and diagnose you and your experiences, I'd suggest not opening up to him.
Yes great advice, you don't know the first thing about mental disorders do you. The guy seems to have textbook psychosis, which cripples many people for life, often the only possible way out of it is to realize that one has it (plus medication), and often that's not even enough.

Not that I particularly care for the wellbeing of attofishpi, but to pose yourself as some kind of compassionate saviour here..

You also seem to have completely misunderstood the construct issue. Forget consciousness and nondualism, first things first, are you a direct (naive) realist?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Atla wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:43 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:52 am
[my emphasis added]

Yes great advice, you don't know the first thing about clinical psychology do you. The guy seems to have textbook psychosis, which cripples many people for life, often the only possible way out of it is to realize that one has it (plus medication), and often that's not even enough.

Er...so your verdict regarding the questioning I have here in blue..?

You are suggesting that this didn't happen - these usernames never existed?...as I had to provide tech support for the person that issued them to me, or just some strange quirk of coincidence?:-

1. When I considered I should go to Church that evening, and actually do this 'confess' thing, the very next customer when I asked for his username stated it is:- "mad_if_you_dont" --- now, ya, that is not a normal internet username.

2. Shortly after (point 1) In a cyberpunk novel I was writing a character called Eli never knew when he was in the real world or the virtual world and extortionists that had kidnapped him were torturing him in the virtual (as God was doing to me) - then the username "hows_eli" was issued by a customer.

3. Later in the day - I didn't mention this one, at the time we were required to support billing enquires, and an old legacy system that was crap could get rather complicated in certain situations. I looked at all the transactions, cross checking late fees, excess data charges and it appeared to conflict with what the customer was telling me. The customer had given me the username "coins_nah" - of course, I thought to myself this is another strange bloody username. Anyway, I went to talk to my manager to see if she could make head to tail of it (no pun intended)...her entire desk was covered in coins..maybe for the social club she was counting out, dunno, but I found it rather funny when she asked for the username.
Atla

Post by Atla »

attofishpi wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:48 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:52 am [my emphasis added]

Yes great advice, you don't know the first thing about clinical psychology do you. The guy seems to have textbook psychosis, which cripples many people for life, often the only possible way out of it is to realize that one has it (plus medication), and often that's not even enough.

Well to me, they seem like events that didn't actually happen.

It seems more likely to me that you either "hallucinated" parts or all of these event while you were awake. Or you were sleeping, and these events were dreamt, but then got stored as real memories, maybe added to original memories, this often happens in psychosis. If I had to pick one, I'd pick the latter explanation.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Atla wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:43 pm Yes great advice, you don't know the first thing about mental disorders do you.
I'd say it's very likely I know a lot more than you having worked professionally in that field and how you are acting like you haven't nor know much about it. Should you have more education than me, well, you're ignoring it. You're diagnosing someone online, lol.
The guy seems to have textbook psychosis
Great, who needs any education or direct contact with someone, just get some layperson online to diagnose. You also seem to think psychosis is a mental health disorder. It's not. It's a state or set of symptoms that can be temporary, and even not be associated with any disorder. It can also be associated with disorders, that yes are very damaging long term. But pretty much everything you write here indicates you've maybe taken some college psych courses at most, but you're not in a position to diagnose people online.
And a lot of amateurs would know that, so you're not flattering yourself but acting like you know anything here.
which cripples many people for life, often the only possible way out of it is to realize that one has it (plus medication), and often that's not even enough.
I doubt in the extreme that you give a shit.
Not that I particularly care for the wellbeing of attofishpi,
And there it is.
but to pose yourself as some kind of compassionate saviour here..
I posed myself as a kind of compassionate savior? LOL. You know, of course, that savior complexes are a form of grandiosty, associated with a bunch of possible mental disorders. Grandiosity. You know, like pretending you have the competence to diagnose people, and then doing it online, as professionals generally do. And here it looks like you are getting ready to diagnose me.
You also seem to have completely misunderstood the construct issue. Forget consciousness and nondualism, first things first, are you a direct (naive) realist?
No. I'm more antirealist than realist. But best put would be 'pragmatist'. I notice you neither cite where you think I misunderstood. You don't explain what you meant, for example, with scientific Advaita. IOW you keep avoiding justifying or explaining. I asked some questions. Instead of answering or clarifying, you just jump to other things, like my mental states now.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

attofishpi wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:48 pm
Atla wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:43 pm Yes great advice, you don't know the first thing about clinical psychology do you. The guy seems to have textbook psychosis, which cripples many people for life, often the only possible way out of it is to realize that one has it (plus medication), and often that's not even enough.

Well to me, they seem like events that didn't actually happen.

It seems more likely to me that you either "hallucinated" parts or all of these event while you were awake. Or you were sleeping, and these events were dreamt, but then got stored as real memories, maybe added to original memories, this often happens in psychosis. If I had to pick one, I'd pick the latter explanation.
I went to bed last night with quite a chuckle after reading what you think is a rational explanation. That of course there is no God or one even capable of this...this guy atto that claims to have 26 years of experiences of God, actually has 26 years of psychosis.
I dreamt that I went to work and got a day of usernames in synchronicity to events, and I suppose that I dreamt that I went to confession that evening!

Fuck nose how my psychotic fragmented mind can program computers such that I paid my house off when I was 40, own an Audi TT sports car and a work van, have wads of cash in the stock-market...you are clearly a genius!
Just think if I had been on the meds you suggest, dumbing my brain down until I can barely manage a job stacking shelves in a shop!!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Atla wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:43 pm It seems more likely to me that you either "hallucinated" parts or all of these event while you were awake.
Atla, how do you explain this one? Shortly after crossing the line that God\sage had set of me, and back in some Hell.

Well, I was up the shops stood at the checkout and decided to get a "Snickers" chocolate bar, when I turned to grab one it had "Foolish" on it..

None of the other chocolate bars had anything apart from "Snickers". I said to the checkout chick, what's this with the snickers bar? She looked shocked and said she had no idea. I said maybe we are foolish to eat it hey, because we might get fat.

Maybe we are all hallucinating this one then?

Post by Age »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:00 pm
Atla wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:43 pm Yes great advice, you don't know the first thing about mental disorders do you.
I'd say it's very likely I know a lot more than you having worked professionally in that field and how you are acting like you haven't nor know much about it. Should you have more education than me, well, you're ignoring it. You're diagnosing someone online, lol.
"atla" may well have more experience than 'you', "Iwannaplato" in this field, which 'you' have worked professionally in, but this is just because "atla" has had 'experience' from the OTHER "side" of mental health, from what 'you' have "Iwannaplato".

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:00 pm
The guy seems to have textbook psychosis
Great, who needs any education or direct contact with someone, just get some layperson online to diagnose. You also seem to think psychosis is a mental health disorder. It's not. It's a state or set of symptoms that can be temporary, and even not be associated with any disorder. It can also be associated with disorders, that yes are very damaging long term. But pretty much everything you write here indicates you've maybe taken some college psych courses at most, but you're not in a position to diagnose people online.
"atla" was once also 'seeing' what "atla" accuses 'me' and "attofishpi" of 'seeing' and 'hearing' here. However, after "atla" tried' expressing what 'it' was coming to 'see' publicly "atla" was diagnosed with having psychotic episodes and/or a psychotic disorder. So, now "atla" 'sees' the same 'things' in "others".
Iwannaplato wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:00 pm And a lot of amateurs would know that, so you're not flattering yourself but acting like you know anything here.
which cripples many people for life, often the only possible way out of it is to realize that one has it (plus medication), and often that's not even enough.
I doubt in the extreme that you give a shit.
Not that I particularly care for the wellbeing of attofishpi,
And there it is.
but to pose yourself as some kind of compassionate saviour here..
I posed myself as a kind of compassionate savior? LOL. You know, of course, that savior complexes are a form of grandiosty, associated with a bunch of possible mental disorders. Grandiosity. You know, like pretending you have the competence to diagnose people, and then doing it online, as professionals generally do. And here it looks like you are getting ready to diagnose me.
No. I'm more antirealist than realist. But best put would be 'pragmatist'. I notice you neither cite where you think I misunderstood. You don't explain what you meant, for example, with scientific Advaita. IOW you keep avoiding justifying or explaining. I asked some questions. Instead of answering or clarifying, you just jump to other things, like my mental states now.