Anthropomorphism

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

Re: Anthropomorphism

Post by Sculptor »

A key example of Anthropomorphism is Veganism.

This bestows the moral attributes of humans to animals.

Some animals deserve care and love. I would do more to preserve my dogs' lives than I would to protect some humans.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Lacewing wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:46 pm "The perfect man employs his mind as a mirror;
it grasps nothing,
it refuses nothing,
it receives,
but does not keep."
-- Chuang Tzu
Which seems very accepting, but given that this mind would see problems with grasping, rejecting and holding, this mind actually rejects much of what it is to be human. And one can even view it as one part of the brain rejecting other parts of the brain, suppressing them, implicitly judging them. Of course, that is a choice someone can make and I wouldn't stand in their way. But often these Taoist/Buddhist ideas are treated as if they are teaching us to accept, not judge, not split...when the practices and the ideas are founded on judging, splitting and not accepting. The trick is that these are aimed inward at portions of the self. And then implicitly at others who have not made these splits their goal.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Lacewing wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:46 pm
Maia wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:08 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:02 pm

It describes nothing is being everything. Because in knowledge, nothing cannot be understood, therefore nothing has to be everything.

And so there can only be everything. Which cannot have a beginning nor an ending, meaning that nothing is being everything infinitely for eternity.

Beginnings and Endings are only finite conceptual appearances of the Infinite...which are illusory.
Thanks. Well, if anyone posts a useful or interesting image, I'd appreciate a description.
Hi Maia, I don't know if DAM ever told you the words used in the image she posted:

"The perfect man employs his mind as a mirror;
it grasps nothing,
it refuses nothing,
it receives,
but does not keep."
-- Chuang Tzu
Thank you.
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:30 pm I always knew when my dog wanted to go out.
dam, you must be all knowing according to the OP
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

DPMartin wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:20 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:30 pm I always knew when my dog wanted to go out.
I'm not sure why your quoting me but talking to DAM. My claim to knowledge was humbler. I can see how you draw the conclusion you did from the OP, but I would be surprised if you find yourself in a clear discussion about what can be deduced from the many claims in the OP.
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:24 pm
DPMartin wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:20 pm
I'm not sure why your quoting me but talking to DAM. My claim to knowledge was humbler. I can see how you draw the conclusion you did from the OP, but I would be surprised if you find yourself in a clear discussion about what can be deduced from the many claims in the OP.
Maybe you can deduce that maybe what you quoted here is all there is to say about it. As usual the OP doesn’t seem valid, and no one need to jump through imaginary hoops to prove it.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

DPMartin wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:18 pm Maybe you can deduce that maybe what you quoted here is all there is to say about it. As usual the OP doesn’t seem valid, and no one need to jump through imaginary hoops to prove it.
I think it's a dead end, yes.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:23 am Funny. Why aren't they on any 'dangerous dog breed' list then? How many people have been killed by a chihuahua? The point it that if a dog like a chihuaua is aggressive then it's not going to do a lot of damage. Fucking idiot.
Which I said AND you quoted. Reading's not your forte, I guess. See below.
But chihuahuas are a very aggressive dog. They are much more likely dog to bite than most dog breeds, but the poor things just aren't as effective at hurting people as they'd like.
and I also mentioned size being an issue. I'll toss in jaw strength now.

And nice try with the strawman argument. I did not say they were dangerous dogs. I said, they were aggressive dogs, and you'll find that in lists all over the place. I guess you don't value integrity much.

And you couldn't manage to answer a simple question.
So, what was your point, in the context of the thread, bringing up moronic dog owners?

Because perhaps then you'd have to make an actual argument, instead of just asserting and snapping at people with your tiny NZ teeth.
You, like chichuahauas, are aggressive but not dangerous.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:12 am
Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:15 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:58 pm And you wrote a sentence here.

...and then another one.
Dontaskme wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:05 pm Yes, that’s what happens.
Fascinating discussion.
I know. Sometimes I just mirror. I mean, is this really what this person wants to do, say that our posts are happening.
(I responded to this before, but it didn't post.)

It was just a funny exchange. I've gone round and round with DAM too. Hard to sift through the word salad when she whips out her salad spinner.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:39 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:36 pm
Knowing is just what's happening. Reactions to what is happening is also what is happening. No one is making what happens happen.
Attributing human traits to my dog worked just peachy.
The doggie in this video link may have been trained to do this.
But it would be pretty cool if she did the math herself and calculated the odds of success in terms of life and survival.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAmUSPbDNxk

She is a medium-sized dog, big enough to survive on her own and she looks like she does. She is on a sidewalk wagging her tail. She approaches the camera on three legs, holding up a foreleg as if injured, limping pathetically while avoiding a vehicle. She even has a hang-dog look on her face. She accepts food from the camera man, then immediately turns and jauntily trots away on all four paws, wagging her tail, but even so you can see she is tired. You can see she’s rather pleased with herself. Full of herself and pleased. She looks over her shoulder while trotting away with her food and nods in thanks at the camera, then she creates enough space around herself right in the street where she can evade theft, because she’s quite fast now with four legs. She takes a chew or two for the taste, starts to chow down, then … cut.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Walker wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:44 am
Dontaskme wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:36 pm

Knowing is just what's happening. Reactions to what is happening is also what is happening. No one is making what happens happen.
But it would be pretty cool if she did the math herself and calculated the odds of success in terms of life and survival.

She is a medium-sized dog, big enough to survive on her own and she looks like she does. She is on a sidewalk wagging her tail. She approaches the camera on three legs, holding up a foreleg as if injured, limping pathetically while avoiding a vehicle. She even has a hang-dog look on her face. She accepts food from the camera man, then immediately turns and jauntily trots away on all four paws, wagging her tail, but even so you can see she is tired. You can see she’s rather pleased with herself. Full of herself and pleased. She looks over her shoulder while trotting away with her food and nods in thanks at the camera, then she creates enough space around herself right in the street where she can evade theft, because she’s quite fast now with four legs. She takes a chew or two for the taste, starts to chow down, then … cut.
I would guess someone taught the dog this, but I don't know. But, yes, reactions, emotions, we can often read correctly.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:54 am
Walker wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:44 am

I would guess someone taught the dog this, but I don't know. But, yes, reactions, emotions, we can often read correctly.
Apparently dogs have learnt to do this themselves. Stray dogs do it to get sympathy and thus food.

Look at this 'pitiful' creature:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/cjwou8ggLBM
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:05 am
Apparently dogs have learnt to do this themselves. Stray dogs do it to get sympathy and thus food.

I saw that video on another source, may have been youtube. One of the comments is interesting, but I didn't fact check it. Someone noted that when a dog drags its hind legs like that, that's a symptom of hip dysplasia. Dragging the back legs like that feels good for dog, or at least relieves discomfort. Walking normally doesn't feel as good but in the early stages they can still walk if necessary. Don't know if that's true ...
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Walker wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:18 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:05 am

I saw that video on another source, may have been youtube. One of the comments is interesting, but I didn't fact check it. Someone noted that when a dog drags its hind legs like that, that's a symptom of hip dysplasia. Dragging the back legs like that feels good for dog, or at least relieves discomfort. Walking normally doesn't feel as good but in the early stages they can still walk if necessary. Don't know if that's true ...
Dogs would have observed other dogs who were genuinely injured and noticed that they got a lot of attention so that's how it would have started. Dogs are very clever. It's just a shame that dogs that really 'are' injured or suffering might not get the help they need because there are so many dogs pretending...
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:25 am
Dogs would have observed other dogs who were genuinely injured and noticed that they got a lot of attention so that's how it would have started. Dogs are very clever. It's just a shame that dogs that really 'are' injured or suffering might not get the help they need because there are so many dogs pretending...
Absolutely.