Anthropomorphism

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Anthropomorphism

Post by Dontaskme »

Anthropomorphism is the attribution of human traits, emotions, or intentions to non-human entities. It is considered to be an innate tendency of human psychology.

Anthropomorphism is phenomena called psychosis which is rooted in separation where there is none.
Awakening is rooted in unification, when the sense that I am is also known as the sense I am not.
Both knowing and not-knowing are one and the same knowing, in the very instant of knowing.
I know, but I do not know how I know.
I only know I know nothing. And nothing never be understood, and can only be understood to mean everything.

When one thing is known, everything is known.
Within this inconceivable conception, what is not yet known, will eventually become known.
But what is unknowable, will never be known.

Knowledge therefore, can only point to the illusory nature of reality, and that ultimately reality is unknowable.

Even the known concept of a 'human entity' is a non-entity.
Iwannaplato

Re: Anthropomorphism

Post by Iwannaplato »

I always knew when my dog wanted to go out.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:30 pm I always knew when my dog wanted to go out.
Knowing is just what's happening. Reactions to what is happening is also what is happening. No one is making what happens happen.

Just try reversing the reaction to knowing your dog wants to go out. The happening has no time machine.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:36 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:30 pm I always knew when my dog wanted to go out.
Knowing is just what's happening. Reactions to what is happening is also what is happening. No one is making what happens happen.
Attributing human traits to my dog worked just peachy.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:39 pm
And that was just what was happening.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:40 pm

And what was happening was not psychosis.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:43 pm
And that statement arising as ''And what was happening was not psychosis'' is also what is happening.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:51 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:43 pm

And that statement arising as ''And what was happening was not psychosis'' is also what is happening.
It was actually what had already happened when you wrote that.

But, yeah, if your point is that things happen, I think most will agree.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:20 pm
But, yeah, if your point is that things happen, I think most will agree.
Great, so now we can just flush all the blah blah blah down the toilet where it belongs.

No one can predict or know what is going to happen next because nothing happens until it happens and there's not a thing that can do anything about that.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:27 pm Great, so now we can just flush all the blah blah blah down the toilet where it belongs.
Wow, judgmental, was that the blah, blah of DAM or something I said that belongs in the toilet?
No one can predict or know what is going to happen next because nothing happens until it happens and there's not a thing that can do anything about that.
Well, there goes science.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Maybe the term anthropomorphism is a typical example of human arrogance, since it implies that for animals to experience emotions and desires is to display human like qualities, whereas in fact, such qualities are innate to the animals in question. A much better term might be empathy.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Maia wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:36 pm Maybe the term anthropomorphism is a typical example of human arrogance, since it implies that for animals to experience emotions and desires is to display human like qualities, whereas in fact, such qualities are innate to the animals in question. A much better term might be empathy.
I totally agree. My point wasn't that they are like us. We are like them being one of them. It's one of the old criticism aimed at people for thinking they know what an animal is thinking. And of course we can make mistakes or project, etc.

And since I think many things are alive and conscious, not just we animals, I take it even further.

And, yes, empathy, being connected on an emotional level with other beings.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:39 pm
Maia wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:36 pm Maybe the term anthropomorphism is a typical example of human arrogance, since it implies that for animals to experience emotions and desires is to display human like qualities, whereas in fact, such qualities are innate to the animals in question. A much better term might be empathy.
I totally agree. My point wasn't that they are like us. We are like them being one of them. It's one of the old criticism aimed at people for thinking they know what an animal is thinking. And of course we can make mistakes or project, etc.

And since I think many things are alive and conscious, not just we animals, I take it even further.

And animals themselves clearly do it too, since they can easily pick up on one's mood.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Maia wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:44 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:39 pm

And animals themselves clearly do it too, since they can easily pick up on one's mood.
Yes. They tend to be less cluttered. As a bit of a tangent, I love those service dogs that can sense an oncoming seizure and go to their person and get them to sit or lie down. They can sense more than the person can him or herself.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:49 pm
Maia wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:44 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:39 pm I totally agree. My point wasn't that they are like us. We are like them being one of them. It's one of the old criticism aimed at people for thinking they know what an animal is thinking. And of course we can make mistakes or project, etc.

Yes. They tend to be less cluttered. As a bit of a tangent, I love those service dogs that can sense an oncoming seizure and go to their person and get them to sit or lie down. They can sense more than the person can him or herself.
Definitely. I know a lot of people who have guide dogs and they are incredibly clever and emotionally sensitive.